ARP head bolt torque spec a little high

Avicii

Nov 4, 2011
Next door
Had one of my friends come down from NJ to give me a hand with my HG, he has done these before and even on his supra anyways i left to get food come back and he has all the ARP bolts in and torquing them down to 90ft pounds i am thinking OMGWTF thats to tight! but sure enough the paper that comes with the box said 90 pounds, is this to much? i dont know if he did it in steps or went straight to 90. if he did just torque straight to 90 will i have to order a whole new HG? every where i read online it says 80-85 with moly

supramk3speed

Dec 4, 2008
Texas
Of course you have to work your way up to that amount in increments. Even with stock torque levels you have to slowly work your way up.

Avicii

Nov 4, 2011
Next door
IBoughtASupra;1838645 said:
You are using bolts or studs? A lot of people say bolts and mean studs.

head bolts :D i was going to get studs but staying stock so just bolts. on the phone with him now he says he doesn't remember :( this fucking sucks lol

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
airhead04;1838629 said:
mine are at 105... lol its fine man

Might want to rethink "it's fine" ;)
(what you think is a big solid aluminium head is more air than metal)

head3.jpg

Avicii

Nov 4, 2011
Next door
should i yank the head back off tomorrow and inspect the the HG? i still have some arp moly left so i could just re-lube everything.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
If you do the Gasket needs to be replaced, the head needs to be checked for straightness and then flatness (2 very different things) then you need to punch your Bud in the head and NEVER let him work on your engine unsupervised again...maybe get someone to whack you in the nuts as well...

Avicii

Nov 4, 2011
Next door
IJ.;1838652 said:
If you do the Gasket needs to be replaced, the head needs to be checked for straightness and then flatness (2 very different things) then you need to punch your Bud in the head and NEVER let him work on your engine unsupervised again...maybe get someone to whack you in the nuts as well...
you can smack me in the nuts if you buy me ANOTHER head gasket haha learn from our mistakes i guess /sigh

Avicii

Nov 4, 2011
Next door
Turbo Habanero;1838653 said:
Not only do you have to ease into the tightening process there is also a prefer process in witch bolt gets tightened first

yea he followed the sequence because neither of us remembered it so i printed it off and we had it hanging up in the garage.

Avicii

Nov 4, 2011
Next door
airhead04;1838663 said:
Crack...highly doubtful. Warp on the other hand is a HUGE possiblity
so if its warped how can i check and what do i need to do? its my first HG job and did plenty of research i guess he figured since he has done them on his it was all good.