Archive: Original MAFT Questions

canadianbacon

Extra Crispy
Dec 10, 2005
Coquitlam, BC
I have the Maft version 1.0. The problem is I have been hitting boost cut around 10 psi, on a Greddy TD06. When I first had the car, it ran sweet. Now, I hit cut pretty regularly.
I reset the ECU and let my Maft re-read itself. That day it ran awesome.

My question is I have heard that the Original Maft set up can eventually read the ECU.... is this true?
Does this happen on the Maft Pro set up?

Yes, I have checked for boost and vac leaks as well.

Just wondering if I should go Maft pro now, or just say F##k it and get a stand alone.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
gotcha. that's an easy one- you simply haven't tuned for Vf. you MUST satisfy Vf (i.e. what the ECU is trying to do closed loop) or else you'll get exactly what you're experiencing- the ECU undoing what you've done.

canadianbacon

Extra Crispy
Dec 10, 2005
Coquitlam, BC
Very nice! Much appreciated.
What are some of the improvements with the Maft Pro.
I seen Dave (Grimjack) at last weeks mini meet, and he says he loves his set up.
Put it this way, I am thinking about upgrading with the Pro.
Cheers, Dan.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Dr. Jonez, is this the same signal, which I read about long ago, that needed closely monitored when doing the LexAFM/550cc + tuning screw mod to defeat/raise fuel cut? I seem to recall reading a tech writeup about this from Reg himself, where he had some funky analog voltmeter hooked up while driving to monitor Vf.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
canadianbacon said:
Very nice! Much appreciated.
What are some of the improvements with the Maft Pro.
I seen Dave (Grimjack) at last weeks mini meet, and he says he loves his set up.
Put it this way, I am thinking about upgrading with the Pro.
Cheers, Dan.

not a problem....we're here to help breed understanding! ;0

the MAFT pro is VERY powerful....drop me a line if/when you're ready.

drunk_medic said:
Dr. Jonez, is this the same signal, which I read about long ago, that needed closely monitored when doing the LexAFM/550cc + tuning screw mod to defeat/raise fuel cut? I seem to recall reading a tech writeup about this from Reg himself, where he had some funky analog voltmeter hooked up while driving to monitor Vf.

you got it! take a look @ the link i posted....it explains it pretty well.

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
hey im new to this whole maft im trying to figure out exactly what i need , im attempting to do an na-t conversion on my 7m, i was told that i would need to ditch the vane air flow meter and get something else , im trying to see if i can get away with a maft as i dont think i need all the featrues of the maft pro
can you elnighten me as to what features the original maft has and hopefully point me in the right direction?

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
There is not a MAF-T for the 7M-GE... look into either a MAFT Gen II or a MAFT Pro. Do a search, others and I have covered the differences between these in depth previously.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
this might be a dumb question, but is/are the maftpro and maft gen 2 vehicle specific? I mean are they a universal type piggy back? or are there differences between a maft pro labeled as being a supra mk3 and one labeled for an elcipse 1g? And are the maft systems sold on ebay knockoffs that look the same or legit items? thanks

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
The MAFT Pro and MAFT Gen II are not vehicle specific devices. The only thing I can think of which would merit such a designation would be the inclusion of plug-n-play harnesses.

I know nothing about the existence of knock-off MAFT units... I'll leave this to be answered by someone else.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
so if they are not vehicle specific or hopefully any generic units i should be able to purchase one on ebay, and purchase my own harness correct? the only thing i need on the harness is the map, iat and boost solenoid, dont think there would be any specifics on that either as far as what vehicle it is going on. not using YOUR factory sensors. if anyone else has any more insight please chime in.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
You're making this very complicated. Generic? eh? Post some links so I can see what you're talking about... All you need is to go to www.maftpro.com (or wherever) buy a MAFT Pro (not someone's kit with extra stuff added) and then go source your sensors and harness connectors..... buying the SD and boost control harness makes things a little easier as some of the connectors are hard to track down and special tools are required for crimping the pins (ask me how I know.... and ask how much I didn't save), but the pinouts are in the manual so you can do it yourself.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
Ok here are a few that i found some from ebay some from google shopping, I guess I didnt exaclty mean generic, meant like ebay store..... Some are for different cars, but i believe it is just the main unit no kit? In opinion which is more tunable the gen 2 or pro? And why is gen 2 cheaper, if it an upgrade to pro?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://www.maperformance.com/maf-translator-gen-2-air-fuel-controller.html

Thought there were more but they are all in the same range cant find the other sites for the pro though now?

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
The Gen II is not the second generation of the MAFT Pro... it's the next evolution of the original MAFT line. It has many of the features of the MAFT Pro, but is missing a few too including boost control and the ability to run speed/density (without an air flow meter).

As for a Grand National specialty vendor on eBay listing a product as being for a Grand National... umm... yeah, they do it all the time to get more hits from their potential customer base.... It's still the same product. if you suspect otherwise you need to ask the seller what's different; but the main unit is the same.♦

MK3_TJ

May 21, 2008
Kettering, OH
I just went the MAFT pro route. I got it new from extremepsi in PA. The price was right and had all the parts to run speed density and boost control. I have yet to install it but so far I'm impressed.