AR5 Trans Take Two: The Solstice Solution

Hotcakes0007

Mar 6, 2014
Tampa Fl
yea i think im just going to stick with the r154 stuff since i still have some of it left. Do you know if the toyota pilot barring needs to be changed or do i have to get a different one? Still trying to figure out what i need to do for the back input shaft of the trans i seen that you took off that end piece and got something different to work with a toyota yoke?

limequat;312369 said:
Heh, you don't know how seriously I considered busting out the MIG :)

I wound up getting a smiple Chevy slipe yoke that fit the same diameter as the stock Supra pinion flange. Cost me $275 at some hole-in-the-wall in Livonia. Still way too much for a stupid shaft, but better than $1200.

Is that chevy yoke something a drive shaft shop would have in stock or would i have to find it in a junk yard?

Last edited:

andresz28

Mar 26, 2014
san salvador
limequat, how´s your ar5 holding? how much hp/tq on your car?

I just bought a 2007 solstice trans and im planing on installing it on my turbo lq4 firebird... i know it has nothing to do with supras but its the only thread on the internet where people are using that trans... i just broke my aston martin t56 but it was because the driveshaft was shit and broke taking everything with it... so i want to know if that trans will hold it or if I have to go auto wich is like my last option

my car has 567whp @8psi dyno couldn´t read the torque but i assume is like 550ft/lbf

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Hotcakes0007;1995696 said:
yea i think im just going to stick with the r154 stuff since i still have some of it left. Do you know if the toyota pilot barring needs to be changed or do i have to get a different one?

Yes, you'll need a new pilot bearing. You can get one in Mcmaster carr. The dimensions are somewhere in this thread.

Still trying to figure out what i need to do for the back input shaft of the trans i seen that you took off that end piece and got something different to work with a toyota yoke?

Not following.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
andresz28;1998933 said:
limequat, how´s your ar5 holding? how much hp/tq on your car?

I just bought a 2007 solstice trans and im planing on installing it on my turbo lq4 firebird... i know it has nothing to do with supras but its the only thread on the internet where people are using that trans... i just broke my aston martin t56 but it was because the driveshaft was shit and broke taking everything with it... so i want to know if that trans will hold it or if I have to go auto wich is like my last option

my car has 567whp @8psi dyno couldn´t read the torque but i assume is like 550ft/lbf

I only put about 5 psi on it which is probably around 400 lb-ft. You're making a lot of torque, don't know. There's a few R154s that have taken more torque than that, but I don't think anybody has stressed an AR5 that much. Good luck.

andresz28

Mar 26, 2014
san salvador
limequat;1999141 said:
I only put about 5 psi on it which is probably around 400 lb-ft. You're making a lot of torque, don't know. There's a few R154s that have taken more torque than that, but I don't think anybody has stressed an AR5 that much. Good luck.
jajajajaajaa for your videos i suspected you were like 700whp/500 lb/ft well ill let you know if it holds right... i hope it does

Hotcakes0007

Mar 6, 2014
Tampa Fl
ok i was talking about this lime. what do i do after i remove this?
attachment.php

Last edited:

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Mill those 3 lips off so that you have a flat surface and then drill in a toyota 4x4 pattern.

Last edited:

grifter679

Dec 14, 2008
San Francisco
im looking for part numbers for the ar5 front bearing retainer as well as the gxp slave cylinder. i need to convert y r154 to an internal slave cylider due to lsx and long tubes being in the way. does anyone have any leads on these numbers?

andresz28

Mar 26, 2014
san salvador

PontiacPwr

Jan 24, 2014
Akron, OH
limequat;1987196 said:
1) Mine came from my stock trans: 1987 Supra Turbo. It should be the same part for any Supra turbo 1987-1992.
2) You'll have to pull of the tail shaft which isn't that big of a job.

I ended up getting off ebay a R154 kit that had the arm and a new top cover. and another ebay find getting the Supra (86-92) shifter.
- that works great.

Now the problem is the driveshaft conversion.
- i'm running a ford 9" out back, and need u-joint to u-joint driveshaft.
- bit the "yoke" on the Solstice trans needs changed.

Anybody know of a specific make, model & yr rwd yoke that fits my tailshaft?