AR5 Trans Take Two: The Solstice Solution

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Haven't looked at it.
I have an electric speedo from a Camry that I think I can use, just haven't gotten to it yet.

preludelinux

Dec 13, 2010
East Moline,IL,61244
Interesting, I'm also interested in this swap outcome.
will have to check into the colorado transmission because according to my information the non-extended r154 comes closest to my shift hole.

this thread has talked about just about everything to boot
I'm looking at swapping in a Toyota 1jz/2jz into my 1987 bmw 325 looking at transmission options. lots of people are throwing in ls1 and 5.0 mustang motors into the e30 bmw's as-well as sr20det 1jz/2jz.

pantherqs

Feb 13, 2011
Windsor
Back from the dead.

Looks like I'll be attempting a na-t swap in a sol and I'm doing exactly this. Did this ever get completed or was it just left in the air?

Should be done mid to end of summer, just rounding up a few more things and it'll get torn into.

side2.jpg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I forget where i last read, but there is complications with the output shaft and shifter location if i remember right.

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
hvyman;1702735 said:
I forget where i last read, but there is complications with the output shaft and shifter location if i remember right.

I'm pretty sure this guy has those two covered, as he's using a few more Solstice parts than Limequat ;)

pantherqs

Feb 13, 2011
Windsor
Christ, this thread relieved all the doubt's I had in the back of my head about going through with the swap. Looks like I won't even have to get a spacer cnc'd.
I couldn't be more grateful. Can't wait to rip into it now.

inline6fan

need some six-ness
Jun 5, 2007
Maine
Wow, 21 pages there's a lot of GM V8 Talk for a Toyota forum...

Power isn't everything, and if you think any V8 sounds better than a boosted inline 6, then go buy a Camaro.

NOW

AR5 and AY6 into JZ engines, can we get a little Cliff's Notes action, or is everyone too concerned with something else?

Shifter and driveshaft are as far as I can tell is the only hangup, and that the JZ bellhousing CAN bolt up.

Insight? And for the love of god stop talking about V8's.

NotyMKIV

Feb 14, 2010
Gardena
I have never posted on here but have PM'd limequat on the "other" supra site regarding this swap. I have then used that information and talked to Aaron at driftmotion about it. He actually set up a complete swap. ex Trans mount, Bellhousing, Driveshaft, and a clutch setup using the same disc that they use in a 500whp/tq application for the r154. the person that this was made for bailed on him and left him with all the parts. If anyone is interested i would give Aaron a quick call, you might be surprised how cost effective the whole setup is.

On another note, you get the new synchro and gear design from the late model chaser R154's which in itself is a huge improvement over the older model R154

pantherqs

Feb 13, 2011
Windsor
Any idea if we have any other possible options other than the S10 clutch? Only sintered iron disk I've found was from spec, but I really don't want to run that pressure plate/clutch again since one of the main load springs on the PP just snapped.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
pantherqs;1781929 said:
Any idea if we have any other possible options other than the S10 clutch? Only sintered iron disk I've found was from spec, but I really don't want to run that pressure plate/clutch again since one of the main load springs on the PP just snapped.

See post 10. The camaro V6 clutches are very close. I picked the s10 clutch because I knew it would fit, but these might work also.

NotyMKIV

Feb 14, 2010
Gardena
pantherqs;1781929 said:

Ask Aaron @ driftmotion, last time I asked him he was able to get one of his clutch suppliers to simply swap out the center section for one that was spline'd properly for the ar5 input shaft.

candyman

Mar 9, 2011
PA
So I have read this thread but still don't 100% understand what it takes to put an AR5/MA5 in a Supra.

Does a Colorado MA5 line up even remotely close for the shifter? Aside from a custom driveshaft, clutch setup, and mount, etc. what actually goes into it? Can someone give me a quick rundown.

JAMDUN17

Aug 1, 2011
Germantown MD
Reviving this from the dead, doing this swap now with a Colorado trans from the Z71, might add pics to.this if op doesn't mind so we can get all the AR5/MA5 stuff in one place

Would also like to add that the pilot bearing size needed for this swap is the same size as all M/S50 powered BMWs so E36/E34 x25i x28i M3 and the E34 540I

Click Here for website with the part

subeone

Oct 7, 2011
houston tx
Come on guys lets bring this swap to light for the entire supra community

so far we know this:

we need a pilot bearing from an e34 540i ( i have verified the dimensions and does work)
we need an ar5 transmission
the slave cylinder setup from the ar5 since im assuming it uses a push method instead of a pull method compared to the w58 and v160
we need a custom driveshaft
an s10 clutch has to be used
a 1jz to 2jz bellhousing has to be used for mkiv, 2jz/1jz, etc. owners.
we need to know the dimensions from a ma5 and an ar5 compared to the r154, it seems that the ma5 from a colorado will straight fit into an mkiv supra, Someone verify or post dimensions in terms of shifter location.
a digital speedometer has to be added for you to have an idea on your mph.
i assume the crossmember works fine for an mkiv?

what about the ar5 taco boxes? anyone experiment with that?

lets bring out more info guys come on

JAMDUN17

Aug 1, 2011
Germantown MD
Well done with the swap with the Colorado AR5.
Cliff notes, Dont Attempt this unless you:
Have Access to a lift
Can weld
Know a Precision Grinding shop
Curse ALOT
Willing to tear apart a transmission.
Have an insane amount of will power
Can access 154 parts

The AR5 from the rado is a royal pain in the ass, more then likely because it was trail and error but unless you can get this trans for cheap its not worth it

5mm needs to be removed from the splined section of the input shaft in order for it not to bottom out.
I reused my mounts, removed the mount carrier from the AR5 bottom. took the mount for the ar5 and drilled it, flipped it and bolted it up. ( i understand that this will make no sense without pics but sorry dont have any for now.)

For a BMW M3 the shifter section of the AR5 had to be cut and a new housing made lower and longer.
My driveshaft also had to be shortened around 2 inches as well.

Will get more in detail soon as i organize and put up the pics, but final conclusion its honestly not worth it. I have access to a shop and parts and just kept pushing on even with all the set back but in hindsight its not worth it at all. There are some upsides; The Trans shift better the the R154 and the ratios are ALOT better imo also its alittle better with gas.