Anyone have a 05+ Tacoma?

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
I need a DD and a new Tacoma might be my way out since I don't want to sell the supra for another car. They seem to be pretty cool and they look pretty mean. I would get one with a TRD package w/ a double cap and short bed. Just wanted to know what people think about them.

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
my buddys got an 06 TRD. Lifted 6"suspension and 3" body with 18's and 35" mud tires. He loves that truck, not a problem with it, and he rags on it in the bush. Awsome truck, like all tacomas. Hes got the extended cab long box. Room is the back isnt that bad if you dont mind sitting straight up and down. I would go for the same as you, 4 door short box. You can fit supra parts in the back and 4 of your friends in the cab

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
I'd get one, they're schweet.

My dad just bought an 01 xtra cab trd 4x4 and I've been tooling around in it all week. I like it a lot, but it won't win any awards in comfort.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
i got a extended cab, very nice truck, tows effortlessly, came in 6 speed manual too, it takes a while to get used to a fly by wire TB tho (sr-5, off road, w/ towing package) also handles very nice on tarmac, bilsteins and coilover suspension up front (updated from tension bars)

JASONA70

nomnomnom
Oct 27, 2006
socal
PROJECT N00b;995979 said:
17 street 22 highway. my mom drives my dads TRD pkg tacoma, extended cab with 6ft bed.

i dont like the sound of 17mpg, i get less than that! :icon_frow

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
BorHor;995944 said:
Driving the supra for a DD at $4.00 is always nice too. (Tacoma will get better MPG then the supra for sure)
the truck doesn't do so well on gas. 4.0 litre, n/a v6, w vvt-i and an incredibly restricted stock exhaust :aigo:

IMO the supra did MUCH better on gas (30mpg cruising, 18 around town and still boosting)

and I pay $3.65 for exxon premium :-/

o, and removing the tailgate uses noticeably less gas, especially while cruising

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
The Toyota 4 Cylinder is very robust, when my grandpa was a land scaper he used to tow his big ass trailer with it. No Issues what so ever. But that was a 22R-E and R-series trans, the clutch was toast fast though. My Dad's Toyota pickup with the same options had 300k Miles on the clutch with no slipage, his had like ~75k but he was a rough driver compared to my dad.

But if you want a Prerunner or 4X4 (assuming because you said TRD Package) it only comes in V6; if you want X-Runner, i'd second guess it if you're going to tow cars. The Auto trans is very robust, and the 6 Speed option on all of them are made by Assin (SP) so i'd assume they'd be just as great as the R-Series, IMO. The Auto is based from the AE series if i remember right and if you've seen it in person on a supra, it's fucking huge and makes the R154 look like pussy shit. ;)

Some more opinions to think over. :)

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
During Operation: Iraqi Freedom, and Operation: Enduring Freedom, multiple Toyota Tacomas have been observed in use by Special Forces units of the US Army. Typically, they have been Double Cab models, with SR5 and TRD packages.

Despite the fact that the Hilux, which the Tacoma is based on, is extremely common in the Middle East, SF found it to be easier to purchase them from American dealerships, modify them appropriately, and ship them to their areas. The Tacoma and Hilux share the same body, but the chassis is significantly different in the Tacoma, and believed to be much weaker. The gasoline engine used is significantly more quiet than the diesel engines used in the HMMWV. These were modified by eliminating the factory radio, along with almost all exterior lights and door buzzers. The front headlights have been modified to work in IR, in order to work with Nightvision. The engines are unmodified, but the vehicles have been fitted with brush guards, Warn winches, and a rollbar with a machine gun mount.

Something Neat I didn't know.

I love to DeRail Threads when i'm at work. ;)

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
btw, look under the hood at the exhaust if you get a chance (on the v6) it's terrible. the exhaust gases come out of the cylinder head and literally hit a wall :-( make a 90 degree turn then go through 2 sets of catalytic converters, and a restrictive y-pipe