another car won't start thread

ryostyle

Aug 11, 2010
Sacramento, CA
CyFi6;1729506 said:
How did you verify spark the first time? How did you verify fuel?

Ground a spark plug to the chassis and look for the arc. For fuel FP to B+ in the diagnostic port while switched to the on position. Can hear fuel rushing through the rail.

digihonk82

Mar 28, 2011
Olathe, KS
This is what order each of the cylinders spark plugs fire 1, 5, 3, 6, 2, 4. If you look at the N/A's distributor it goes clockwise in that order. so as the rotor inside the distributor spins it ignites 1 then 5 then 3 then 6...and so on. I would use a timing light or ground out each individual plug first to make certain you are getting spark. Then jumper Fp and B+ to make sure your fuel pump is kickn on.

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

sorry about that...to late^^^^ but seriously dude check the cps wiring. Jiggle it the try again

digihonk82

Mar 28, 2011
Olathe, KS
okay lemme try one more clarification...looking at Nick M's pic, put the #1 labeled wire on the closest spark plug to the cam cover. Then on the second from the closest to the cam cover goes the wire labeled # 2. In other words the numbers on the coils doesn't correspond with firing order, it corresponds with closest to cam cover, 2nd closest to cam cover and so on.

ryostyle

Aug 11, 2010
Sacramento, CA
digihonk82;1729543 said:
okay lemme try one more clarification...looking at Nick M's pic, put the #1 labeled wire on the closest spark plug to the cam cover. Then on the second from the closest to the cam cover goes the wire labeled # 2. In other words the numbers on the coils doesn't correspond with firing order, it corresponds with closest to cam cover, 2nd closest to cam cover and so on.
Got it

digihonk82

Mar 28, 2011
Olathe, KS
And the firing order is actually the first page of the Engine Mechanical section of the TSRM...sorry to be shoving this down ur throat but if I lived in CALI i'd probably come to your house and help you fire it up myself...that engine looks badass BTW

ryostyle

Aug 11, 2010
Sacramento, CA
digihonk82;1729550 said:
And the firing order is actually the first page of the Engine Mechanical section of the TSRM...sorry to be shoving this down ur throat but if I lived in CALI i'd probably come to your house and help you fire it up myself...that engine looks badass BTW

Thanks! Much appreciated.

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
checked fuses?
checked codes?
checked to make sure ecm is plugged in? lol

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

ryostyle;1729509 said:
Ground a spark plug to the chassis and look for the arc. For fuel FP to B+ in the diagnostic port while switched to the on position. Can hear fuel rushing through the rail.

they do make spark testers
i think theyre about 10 bucks at any autoparts store
it will show you how strong weak your spark is

ryostyle

Aug 11, 2010
Sacramento, CA
jonahs_supra;1729676 said:
checked fuses?
checked codes?
checked to make sure ecm is plugged in? lol

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

they do make spark testers
i think theyre about 10 bucks at any autoparts store
it will show you how strong weak your spark is

Tried the timing light, worked on all plug wires. Will go for a spark tester, thanks.

ryostyle

Aug 11, 2010
Sacramento, CA
jonahs_supra;1729768 said:
not trying to say you dont know what your doing/talking about
but for some reason that video sounds like your valve are opening to soon IMO
maybe its just me though

i will recheck timing again. started testing with my multi-meter last night and found out my afm wasn't reading. It had oil caked on it. Cleaned it and now it reads correctly. Also tested csi time and it was fine. Tested the igniter and the fuel circuitry and it was all fine.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
if you cleaned it with anything other than compressed air and prayers, i suggest you start looking for new AFM electronics.

ryostyle

Aug 11, 2010
Sacramento, CA
kotu100;1729913 said:
if you cleaned it with anything other than compressed air and prayers, i suggest you start looking for new AFM electronics.
LOL okay point taken. Will start looking. I just wiped down the sensor with Kleenex and it removed a ton of gunk and I started getting consistent readings. "compressed air and prayers" hahaha

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
try driving a little more
did you reset the ecu?
mine did this after installing a new afm
i was confused lol
reset the ecu and presto it was good to go
also i went through 3 supposably good afm before getting fed up and buying a new unit

did you test the newer afm?

ryostyle

Aug 11, 2010
Sacramento, CA
jonahs_supra;1729961 said:
did you reset the ecu?
i was confused lol
also i went through 3 supposably good afm before getting fed up and buying a new unit

Would love to drive the car more.....if it actually started. Don't have another afm to try. I've never driven the car at all

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
jonahs_supra;1729961 said:
did you reset the ecu?
i was confused lol

yea umm idk how i did this but i meant to post in a different thread lol my bad

back to the topic:
your car should start with the afm unplugged but will run like complete crap
only thing i can think of is possible bad or out of adjustment cps
or timing is off a tooth of 2

how are you setting your crank? with the pulley or with a screw driver/extinsion in the number 1 spark plug hole?

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
I just want to say 1 thing right now....I can't stop starring at your can gears ...I'm in love with them lol
Everything looks right
Try this=
1. Remove number 1 spark plug
2. Grab a long screwdriver
3. Shove screw driver into spark plug hole
4. Now rotate engine until the screwdriver is at its highest point
5. Once highest point check to see that your cam and crank marks are lined up
6. If number 5 shows good proceed with step 7

7. Grab a 5 gallon gas can and fill with fuel
8. Place can in car
9. Call insurance company and get full coverage
10. Light a match and ask the insurance person if they want to come over for some smores lol j/p

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
ryostyle;1729509 said:

Are you sure the pump is running while you are cranking? Are you sure fuel is actually making it into the cylinders?