another car won't start thread

ryostyle

Aug 11, 2010
Sacramento, CA
IMG_20110625_103052.jpgJust finished gerring the car 100% back togerher and it won't start. Replaced the hg, arp head bolts, new vacuum lines with stock routing. I have fuel, spark, solid grounds (yes under the manifold), good battery, new battery connectors. I have also triple checked my timing.... no codes

Here are the symptoms:
Cranks fine but won't catch, the rpms move while it cranks

I have searched for a few weeks and can't seem to get to the bottom of this. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I have never driven my car before.....it had a blown hg when i got it but started.

TRDownShift

Sep 19, 2010
Austin, Texas, United States
EFI fuse? Sorry I dont have much more then that, I know the same happend to me a few months ago, turned out to be the CPS timing (did the same thing yours is) I just kept messing with the CPS timing until it started, even went as far as to pull the cps out and move it over a gear or two just to get more timing then the normal adjustment will allow for :p But then again you said you already triple checked your timing, so i guess check your fuses? :)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
CPs in 180?

Injector clips in the right order?
Isc
Afm
Csi time switch or csi itself.
Any codes?

ryostyle

Aug 11, 2010
Sacramento, CA
hvyman;1727850 said:
CPs in 180?

Injector clips in the right order?
Isc
Afm
Csi time switch or csi itself.
Any codes?

Injectors are in the right order. Isc? Afm is fine. Csi is hooked up. Fp vsv and egr vsv hooked up. No codes.

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
isc is Idle speed control i believe... you should here a clicking in the engine bay when you shut the car off (ignition).

so it cranks, but just doesnt fire? any burpings, like its trying to fire up? you checked spark? make sure there are no wires that have been pulled off or anything... that just happened to me, i was pullin my hair out untill i found it by shear luck! lol

ryostyle

Aug 11, 2010
Sacramento, CA
mk3-4-me;1727859 said:
isc is Idle speed control i believe... you should here a clicking in the engine bay when you shut the car off (ignition).

so it cranks, but just doesnt fire? any burpings, like its trying to fire up? you checked spark? make sure there are no wires that have been pulled off or anything... that just happened to me, i was pullin my hair out untill i found it by shear luck! lol

ISC is hooked up. Yeah "burping". Yes checked spark.

ryostyle

Aug 11, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Just rechecked timing with the chopstick method and its spot on. Also checked for proper cps alignment according to the tsrm, it is also spot on. How do i find out if my injectors are firing?

mk3_7m

Jul 21, 2007
melbourne
if you have a great sense of smell. Check the spark plug for any petrol remains and see if it smells like petrol.

ryostyle

Aug 11, 2010
Sacramento, CA
sean2000gt;1727942 said:
rent noid lights from autozone to check for fuel injector pulses^^.

Noid lights? Never heard of them but sounds interesting. Gotta look into that. i'm going to have a buddy crank the motor while I use a stethoscope on the injectors. Hopefully this works. Want to drive my car real bad!

Appreciate all the suggestions so far.

xnuclear23

Nov 6, 2010
California SoCal
Check the igniter, I had a similar problem like yours not to long ago. A wire backed out of the igniter connector once i pushed the wire back in the car would start up fine.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
ryostyle;1728051 said:
That is connected.

Noid light shows injector harness fine. Plugs smell of fuel.

*If* this is accurate, then th EFI control system is working, and you can stop looking at it. That is two of three items in the combustion triangle. Air/fuel ratio, spark timing, and compression.

ryostyle

Aug 11, 2010
Sacramento, CA
jetjock;1728084 said:
I wasn't implying it was disconnected. Kind of moot now though. I think pretty much everyone knows how this is going to turn out...

Okay sorry I guess I miss understood you. How is this going to turn out, my car just not running? Hope not. I figure if everyone can run these beast setups, I should be able to get my car running bone stock. Maybe I'm wrong though, :)

---------- Post added at 07:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 AM ----------

Nick M;1728098 said:
*If* this is accurate, then th EFI control system is working, and you can stop looking at it. That is two of three items in the combustion triangle. Air/fuel ratio, spark timing, and compression.

Well seems like the next logical place to look would be my maf and then do a boost leak test for vacuum leaks post-maf correct?

Well I hope this gets figured out, I'd much rather have my supra than go back to the dsm world of big hands and crushed fingers

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Sounds like it should start... Check the wires on the clip that connects to the coil pack for me! Lol that just happened to me cause they were old n brittle, one broke off and sounded exactly like your situation... Spark, fuel, compression (did u check that by the way?) but it wouldnt start... Just the "burping" lol... So i wouldnt want u to go through all that for a stupid wire after wat i went through... Lol

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
ryostyle;1728103 said:
Well seems like the next logical place to look would be my maf and then do a boost leak test for vacuum leaks post-maf correct?

Post a quality video of the engine cranking with good audio. That means no cell phone crap. If your injectors are pulsing, then the CPS is picking up a signal and you have spark. That means it is out of time by a good amount. Either the CPS out of time, or the engine itself. This assumes you do have fuel and spark.

ryostyle

Aug 11, 2010
Sacramento, CA
mk3-4-me;1728131 said:
Sounds like it should start... Check the wires on the clip that connects to the coil pack for me! Lol that just happened to me cause they were old n brittle, one broke off and sounded exactly like your situation... Spark, fuel, compression (did u check that by the way?) but it wouldnt start... Just the "burping" lol... So i wouldnt want u to go through all that for a stupid wire after wat i went through... Lol

Okay will take a close look at the wires to the coils. Thanks for the suggestion. i have fuel spark and compression. Maybe I'm not getting spark to all cylinders.

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

Nick M;1728134 said:
Post a quality video of the engine cranking with good audio. That means no cell phone crap. If your injectors are pulsingI then the CPS is picking up a signal and you have spark. That means it is out of time by a good amount. Either the CPS out of time, or the engine itself. This assumes you do have fuel and spark.
will post a quality video.