Alarm with built in turbo timer

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
So, i just got my new car and since ill be driving it a good bit im looking to get an alarm system. So the way i figure it, i can kill two birds with one stone, buy an alarm with a built in turbo timer. Let me know what you guys have and what you've had sucsess with. i havent had much luck in searching.

Much appreciated guys!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I have a viper 5701. It's a top of the line alarm with remote start and turbo timer without the big-ass remote. It's still 2-way and has a 1/2 mile range which is fine for me.

I'd recommend it.

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
How hard is it to install a car alarm and make it work smoothly with all the oem components? What happens to the factory alarm?

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
YoungGunSupra;1408794 said:
agreed ^ how do you disable the factory alarm?!

noone answer this question its bad enough we've told countless people how to disable the alarm that just make it easier for theives to browse these forums and get a one up on most of us.

TheAmazingDave

Formerly 86mister2
Feb 26, 2007
Cali South Bay
paranoid much?

I don't think any thieves are sitting around waiting for you to tell them how to disable a shitty OEM alarm on a 20 year old car, but whatever floats your boat buddy...

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
you shouldnt need a turbo timer if you drive accordingly. I started a thread at mkiiitech a while back asking about cool down etc. Basically, dont put it away wet...

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
TheAmazingDave;1408809 said:
paranoid much?

I don't think any thieves are sitting around waiting for you to tell them how to disable a shitty OEM alarm on a 20 year old car, but whatever floats your boat buddy...

I guess call it what you will, i dont like to do a lot of things like make build threads, or display my mods. I think thats just asking for it to be stolen.

TheAmazingDave

Formerly 86mister2
Feb 26, 2007
Cali South Bay
JDMMA70;1408820 said:
I guess call it what you will, i dont like to do a lot of things like make build threads, or display my mods. I think thats just asking for it to be stolen.

I hear you, and understand your points about build threads and mod lists.

I only asked because this thread was here and I was curious. If discretion is that important I'll just look it up in my TSRM and keep the info to myself.

No worries, I have other things to wrack my brain on.

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
Damn thanks fo or the input fellas. I saw a thread on the cliffords in a group buy earlier, but so far we have good results with the Viper 5701, and the clifford. Now i does the 5901 have a timer?

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
When I installed my alarm in the 91, I kept the factory alarm and used the door lock/unlock pulses to arm and disarm the factory alarm. It takes some extra wiring, but it worked very well. However, the factory alarm sucks balls, so I'll be removing it on my 86 and just using an aftermarket alarm (+ kill switch(es)). Can't be too safe!

Collin

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
TheAmazingDave;1408425 said:
Quick on-topic question...

Does the factory alarm need to be disabled? Does it have a separate fuse to pull that can disable it?

YoungGunSupra;1408794 said:
agreed ^ how do you disable the factory alarm?!

You shouldn't disable the factory alarm, IMO. Most aftermarket alarms worth a damn have a specific output for factory alarm arm/disarm. When I lock my car, the factory alarm arms AND the viper arms. That way if ANY door is opened or lock is unlocked before I hit disarm the alarm sounds. Loud.

steven89;1408806 said:
How hard is it to install a car alarm and make it work smoothly with all the oem components? What happens to the factory alarm?

You just need to get an alarm that has a factory arm/disarm. I think most all viper/clifford alarms should have that output. The factory alarm stays working just like normal. You can even exit the car and lock just the factory alarm by using the key after the other alarm is installed. Nothing from the factory system is cut/removed, it is just tapped into.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Using an Autopage here, it works fine with factory alarms.

Even so, I've never set up the turbo timer option. Everyone should be running a high quality synthetic oil in their Supras anyway, so the timer becomes a waste.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Someone help a newber out: I dont' know much about timers. Nor do I have one but: Has anyone installed a timer in manual tranny If, so then do you stay with your car untill timer is done or do you leave your car in neutral with parking brake on what do you guys do. Or do I not understand the concept? help me understand.