AEM Controlling the trans?

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
SupraMan1987;1269695 said:
Pretty sure AEM specifically states for 5spd cars only
Who carese what AEM Says. I mean wire up the auto ecu (2 Solenoids and lockup solenoid) to the ecu and have the aem features control it. Its possible with the software, and looks like the ecu should work on it fine (just uses standard outputs).

blk91

Aug 29, 2005
ca
It can be done works fine..... But I know nothing about how at all, I just test drove one a few years ago that was a Aem with an auto, The guys not in the supra community anymore but ill see if i can get ahold of him, Also Aem did the tune on the car and all of the setup, I beleive his car was the frist 89-92 car they did.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Huge amount of logic involved to do this.
(I know the MoTeC 100 series can't handle it on it's own but the ADL2 can)

Be better having the AEM simulate the TPS signal to the ECT.

MK-111

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2007
Wigan
One of the guys on the u.k forum had an AEM fitted to an auto, it would not work, when he got in touch with AEM the person he spoke to said it had never been tested on the 7m autobox,

blk91

Aug 29, 2005
ca
Sounds like about the right answer from Aem, they seemed to change staff about every 90 days when I dealing with them, But I have for sure been in ma70 running a AEM that was controlling, I do remember it had very hard upshifts and was told that he could control the trq coverter.

tissimo

Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
IJ.;1271898 said:
Huge amount of logic involved to do this.
(I know the MoTeC 100 series can't handle it on it's own but the ADL2 can)

Be better having the AEM simulate the TPS signal to the ECT.

What logic is needed? just switching a few solenoids on and off for change gears really. We dont have to control the Line pressure with a solenoid or anything like the mkiv, just 3 wires (2 gear solenoids and lockup solenoid).

By eliminating the ect I can controll the shifts/downshifts converter lockup and everything, theres no reason not to use the features available.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
You need a bunch of if/and/or statements to do it.

If you think you can pull it off with just switching solenoids by all means go for it and post your progress.
(I asked the MoTeC engineers to do this and they gave up after a week on the ECU and said the only real way to do it was to use an ADL)

example: how does your ECU know the car is accelerating up a hill and needs to kickdown a gear just using an on/off table?

tissimo

Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
IJ.;1272590 said:
You need a bunch of if/and/or statements to do it.

If you think you can pull it off with just switching solenoids by all means go for it and post your progress.
(I asked the MoTeC engineers to do this and they gave up after a week on the ECU and said the only real way to do it was to use an ADL)

example: how does your ECU know the car is accelerating up a hill and needs to kickdown a gear just using an on/off table?
TPS input, unfortunately AEM doesn't have a 2th input for load on gear selection map, everything is based of TPS. It might be a little crude, but should work fine.

Heres a pic of the mkiv basemap.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

tissimo

Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Nick M;1325672 said:
Why not just let the trans ECU do its job?

I want to control the WOT shift points, gear selection, and converter lockup to my liking.

figgie;1329867 said:
it is a matter of lack of outputs that can handle the current draw.

Feed the stock trans ecu and call it a day. Requires three outputs from the EMS based on TPS position as that is how the stock config does it. That or you can do what Ian did and get a transcontroller.

This is an example, Ian got something different if I recall

http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Electronics/default.asp
AEM EMS controls the mkiv trans perfectly fine (same gear selection setup, 2 solenoids), only need to wire in a relay for the converter lockup (aem ems isn't strong enough iirc).

Anyone should be able to do this, just have to wire in the gear solenoids & lockup solenoid to the ECU to get it to work. I think I've decided to leave my car bone stock though, so will not be trying it out my self.

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
figgie;1329867 said:
it is a matter of lack of outputs that can handle the current draw.

Feed the stock trans ecu and call it a day. Requires three outputs from the EMS based on TPS position as that is how the stock config does it. That or you can do what Ian did and get a transcontroller.

This is an example, Ian got something different if I recall

http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Electronics/default.asp

I'm using a PCS it's the MoTeC of trans controllers :)

blk91

Aug 29, 2005
ca
Ok so from what I gather you just need to run 3 outputs from the AEM to the trans computer and it should function like stock? I'm trying to decided if I want a piggy back that wont work right or an Aem that wont work right.

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
What are the 3 outputs that you need to run from the EMS to the trans computer? My Brother has an M800 in his auto Supra and left the stock EFI ECU and trans computer in there to run the trans, but if he can piss off all the standard wiring and just feed 3 wires to the trans computer that would make things cleaner, I also want to know in case I go auto myself down the track as I am manual M800 at this stage

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
You just need to set up 3>4x AUX outs to replicate the signals sent from the Toyota TPS to the ECT, this will give a very limited range of adjustment from the Factory behaviour.

For Aux Table 1 (L1 on the ECT). 35% to 100%. duty cycle should be Zero percent (0 V)
For Aux Table 2 (L2 on the ECT). 15% to 65%. Duty cycle should be Zero between these two sites.
For aux Table 3 (L3 on ECT) Between 7% and 25% & 50% to 85%. Duty cycle should be zero percent.

You also need another for the idl signal from memory.

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
wouldnt it be easier than programming the ECU? Or do you need to program the ECU to generate these outputs based on the TPS position, sorry I'm still learning all this stuff lol