Advice on Megan coilovers..

Mk3Tmoney

Apr 7, 2009
Alberta
Hey guys.. My next investment on the car is going to be suspension. I was taking a look at a few sets but need some advice from people who already have them on their cars.

I've taken a look at the Megan Racing Track Series from driftmotion. But I have heard from a few people that they like the Teins performance.

I am just trying to build the car for an aggresive street car, and might start taking it to the strip. Not building for drifting.

Any advise would be great.

Cheers!

BOOSTEDSUPRA

THE DRIVELINE GUY
Jan 4, 2007
turlock, calif
i have not heard any feedback on the megans. i know a few people that like the tein. if you have tems the eibach springs with tokico illuminus are a nice pair!!

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
they're a great improvement over stock (i have just over 1k miles on my new tein flex set) and i love them. however i've heard for the serious driver, wiisass loves his bilsteins.

if i had to do it over again, i might drop the cash on a set of custom coilovers that he sets up. then again, this is just NA and it's never seen a track. i'm just using it for a slick daily driver (it's a gt car after all).

Mastapip

Apr 20, 2009
Ft. Worth Tx
To Topic starter -

If you're not going to take it to a roadcourse or autocross, in my opinion coilovers are unnecessary. Then again the Megans are pretty affordable as far as coilovers go, so by the time you invest in a good set of Tokikos and springs, you're not far from the cost of the Megans.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
I dont like my Megans very much at all, they are not balanced properly front to rear. I run my fronts full stiff and my rears full soft at all times to get it close. Not to mention i have had them about a year or year and a half and my left rear strut is showing signs of leakage.

Falken

May 31, 2009
Los Angeles
damn im also looking for set... but i am thinking of going with the eibach springs to go with my tokico illuminus.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I have the Megans on my car... for the price, they're not bad. If I were buying a set that didn't come on my car, I would probably save up for the JIC's, but that's me talking. As for the Megans, they're fairly easy to adjust, but even I could spend probably a week just fine tuning and balancing them to my liking.

Depending on what you plan to do with the car, you might go with something like my previous setup, an Eibach/Tokico yellow... On the street you'll have all sorts of fun, and never have to slow much for corners, but your kidneys will hate you. Might wanna invest in some plush seat covers at that point haha... Not to mention, I had this setup on an auto n/a. Traction was never a problem in my case, but I have my doubts that you could ever really put down power in 1st or 2nd even with massive tires with a setup as stiff as the Eibach/Tokico's...

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
CyFi6;1447535 said:
I dont like my Megans very much at all, they are not balanced properly front to rear. I run my fronts full stiff and my rears full soft at all times to get it close. Not to mention i have had them about a year or year and a half and my left rear strut is showing signs of leakage.

I remember reading a thread about you having problems with them bottoming out and things of that nature? I have megans too and have none of the issues you stated. I beleive yours were defective or something. Tag that link in this thread, I cant seem to find it.

As for the leaking, I had mine since September 2008, no signs of leaking or rust but Im always garaged with less then 3k miles so we'll see if they can take the abuse of time.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
I have had several setups:
Tokico blues with Eibach springs
Monzo RS with RSR race springs
Tokico Blues with RSR race springs
Illumina 2s with RSR race springs
Megan coilovers.

I liked the Tokico blue/Eibach spring combo the best.
The megan coils are nice if you want to track the car but not so much for DD.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
ms07s;1448675 said:
The megan coils are nice if you want to track the car but not so much for DD.
I DD my car just fine, bumpy roads and all. I guess it's just a matter of personal preference. As long as your tires aren't huge and you set your height high enough, you won't rub them even if you set your car soft enough to enjoy some of the comfort that can be had...

DR902JZ;1448908 said:
I plan on getting the megans soon.. i want somthing stiff..
Just remember that stiff + power = wheelspin. On an n/a or a car that you intend to drift, go for it. Doesn't really work for me, but it may for you. :)

This is also why I like adjustable suspensions. You can setup and fine tune the car's behavior to your liking... Stiff if you're on a road course or just wanna show off, soft if you wanna stomp that guy in the Camaro that won't shut up about how fast his 350 is, etc, etc...

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
te72;1449136 said:
This is also why I like adjustable suspensions. You can setup and fine tune the car's behavior to your liking... Stiff if you're on a road course or just wanna show off, soft if you wanna stomp that guy in the Camaro that won't shut up about how fast his 350 is, etc, etc...

but the issue is, what are you really adjusting?

Rebound with no dampning? Doubtful as you are going to have cross talk.
And then how much "adjustment" does each click give and what is it really affecting? Is it linear?

Impossible to say without the shock dyno sheets graphing each click.

Mk3Tmoney

Apr 7, 2009
Alberta
Mastapip;1447483 said:
To Topic starter -

If you're not going to take it to a roadcourse or autocross, in my opinion coilovers are unnecessary. Then again the Megans are pretty affordable as far as coilovers go, so by the time you invest in a good set of Tokikos and springs, you're not far from the cost of the Megans.

Yeah, I do like to drive aggressive on the street; thats why I was thinking of getting coilovers thenstead of Tokikos abd springs; for example.

Also what sway bar/strut bar/susp link combo would you suggest? I don't have too huge of the shopping money..

Any help would be great!

Mk3Tmoney

Apr 7, 2009
Alberta
figgie;1446782 said:
forgo the generic coil overs (yes that includes Tien).

Depending on the budget, custom set of bilstein valved to your car, done.

What do you mean saying 'custom set'.. Other than the make/model/etc. ??

Mk3Tmoney

Apr 7, 2009
Alberta
CyFi6;1447535 said:

Ill keep that in mind. Thanks

Mk3Tmoney

Apr 7, 2009
Alberta
te72;1448337 said:
I have the Megans on my car... for the price, they're not bad. If I were buying a set that didn't come on my car, I would probably save up for the JIC's, but that's me talking. As for the Megans, they're fairly easy to adjust, but even I could spend probably a week just fine tuning and balancing them to my liking.

Depending on what you plan to do with the car, you might go with something like my previous setup, an Eibach/Tokico yellow... On the street you'll have all sorts of fun, and never have to slow much for corners, but your kidneys will hate you. Might wanna invest in some plush seat covers at that point haha... Not to mention, I had this setup on an auto n/a. Traction was never a problem in my case, but I have my doubts that you could ever really put down power in 1st or 2nd even with massive tires with a setup as stiff as the Eibach/Tokico's...

I've been giving this alot of thought, and you guys on SM are reallllllyyy helping this decision!! :)

I was taking a look at the Tokikos/Eibach combo.. But like I said earlier about sacrificing price towards performance. Just curious.. Has anyone tried out the H&R Race Springs or the Intrax Springs?

I wanted to get her as low as I can. Fun and low!

Does anyone have any ride height pictures of this Tokiko/Eibach-Intrax-H&R Spring set up??

Anything helps!

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
My ST sway bars did far more for the car than anything else. Strut tower bars worthless for a supra's suspension design.