Advanced AEM tuning: sequential injection and 48-tooth trigger

Mr. Y

Mar 31, 2005
80 miles away from Kremlin
Hello guys. I've got AEM 1110 from gixxer750, so no more Haltech for me.

Does anybody run pnp box in sequential injection mode? How to configure AEM pro for that?
What injectors must be enabled (1,2,3 and 7,8,9)?
What about injector phasing?
Do I need ballast resistor to run extra inj. channels. How much ohms? (with 2 Ohm injectors)

And now about trigger. As you know stock CPS is 24 tooth. It has not very good construction (mounted on shaft that is driven via gear from exhaust cam)... A lot of free-play there... So we get unstable timing mark. It bounces 2-3* when checked with timing gun.

I removed stock VR-pickup from CPS and mounted it near intake cam gear. Cam gear is 48-tooth. I reconfigured Haltech for that and got _much_ stable timing mark. I can set ign. timing precisely now!

I don't know yet how stable is timing with AEM using stock CPS, but if there are more than 2* of floating, I'd convert it to 48-tooth trigger. This conversion is very simple and cheap (no extra parts needed, just some mounting brackets).
So.. Can 1110 box be configured to run 48-tooth trigger? How stable is your timing mark on AEM using stock CPS?

PS: Sean, I know you are very experienced in AEM tuning. Please chime in.

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
You should be able to run the 48 tooth no problem. Just set the sensors to 48 tooth and set your injector and ignition phasing.

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
Mr. Y;1044110 said:
Hello guys. I've got AEM 1110 from gixxer750, so no more Haltech for me.

Does anybody run pnp box in sequential injection mode? How to configure AEM pro for that?
What injectors must be enabled (1,2,3 and 7,8,9)?
What about injector phasing?
Do I need ballast resistor to run extra inj. channels. How much ohms? (with 2 Ohm injectors)

And now about trigger. As you know stock CPS is 24 tooth. It has not very good construction (mounted on shaft that is driven via gear from exhaust cam)... A lot of free-play there... So we get unstable timing mark. It bounces 2-3* when checked with timing gun.

I removed stock VR-pickup from CPS and mounted it near intake cam gear. Cam gear is 48-tooth. I reconfigured Haltech for that and got _much_ stable timing mark. I can set ign. timing precisely now!
I don't know yet how stable is timing with AEM using stock CPS, but if there are more than 2* of floating, I'd convert it to 48-tooth trigger. This conversion is very simple and cheap (no extra parts needed, just some mounting brackets).
So.. Can 1110 box be configured to run 48-tooth trigger? How stable is your timing mark on AEM using stock CPS?

PS: Sean, I know you are very experienced in AEM tuning. Please chime in.

Can you post a picture of this setup with the new location o the pick up

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
Haven't seen any of the AEM cars I've tuned jumping the ignition timing around randomly. It will cut off spark intermittently if it loses signal from a poorly preforming CPS. It logs timing errors when it does. Looks like you may have a decent poor mans pickup there though...

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
I run mine in sequential. You have to turn on 1,2,3 which are on from the factory, and 7,8,9,10. The Aem doesn't work right without 10 enabled. I run the same injector phasing as an MKIV TT. Remember to change 7,8,9, and 10 injctor outputs to primary when you enable them. Mine were set at base to start. I also went to cam/crank option and set my fuel teeth to 24
Then all you have to do is wire injector 4 to the output for injector 7, 5 to 8, and 6 to 9

Sean

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
X-man;1048414 said:
I run mine in sequential. You have to turn on 1,2,3 which are on from the factory, and 7,8,9,10. The Aem doesn't work right without 10 enabled. I run the same injector phasing as an MKIV TT. Remember to change 7,8,9, and 10 injctor outputs to primary when you enable them. Mine were set at base to start. I also went to cam/crank option and set my fuel teeth to 24
Then all you have to do is wire injector 4 to the output for injector 7, 5 to 8, and 6 to 9

Sean

Which compressor wheel do you have in the GT42 Sean

Mr. Y

Mar 31, 2005
X-man;1048414 said:

Sean

Thanks man!
... and what about wiring? What ballast resistors are you using for 7,8 and 9 drivers? Or you are hi-imp guy? or P&H?

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
Mr. Y;1048818 said:
Thanks man!
... and what about wiring? What ballast resistors are you using for 7,8 and 9 drivers? Or you are hi-imp guy? or P&H?

Your ballast resistor is on the hot side or 12 volt supply side. You run three ground wires from the AEM. The AEM grounds the injectors to fire them just like the stock ecu. I run low impediance 1000 cc injectors.

Sean

Mr. Y

Mar 31, 2005
X-man, I see, thank you... But I'm a bit scared because AEM manual says 1.5 Amps per channel... Injector's impedance is 2 Ohms (Denso's) and resistor is 3 Ohms. So we get 2.8 Amps per driver @ 14volts... Isn't it too much?

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
Mr. Y;1049369 said:
X-man, I see, thank you... But I'm a bit scared because AEM manual says 1.5 Amps per channel... Injector's impedance is 2 Ohms (Denso's) and resistor is 3 Ohms. So we get 2.8 Amps per driver @ 14volts... Isn't it too much?

Mine runs as good now on the 1000 cc injectors as it ever has in any other configuration I have ever run with batch fire and the stock ecu or even batch fire and the AEM. I have not experienced any ill effects as of yet with this combination and have made about 25 dyno pulls and and evening of drag racing plus some street time which involved sitting in traffic idling for about 20 minutes straight. I guess time will tell, but so far everything has done well.

Sean