A serious 1jz no spark issue. Gurus welcome

mikejza70

Nov 3, 2012
mn

This is a screen shot i just took. Far left side where it has a list of all the "Ign fire lock" and all the values are at 200.00 im not sure if they are all supposed to be at 200.00
and they all flicker really fast.

Here's another screen shot of when they flickered.(it was tough but I managed to snap a screen shot when the flicker occurred)

God I feel like a noob. But everyone has to start somewhere...

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Using the factory EWD for an 04 Corolla, pins go like this:
1- +B Black with a White tracer
2- IGF Light blue with a Yellow tracer
3- IGT Varies cylinder to cylinder
4- GND White with a Black tracer

I'll go take a look at my wire harness and see which pin is which for sure, but if you kept any of the wires from the connector pigtails, it should give you the correct orientation.

Edit: are you set up for batch fire ignition or sequential? That screenshot looks odd.

Double-edit: My bad, I was looking at it wrong and have altered my previous post to relect accurate information. Still worth checking to make sure you're tapped into the correct IGT wire on all the coils.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
I just looked at his .Cal. There are some goofy things. The phasing on the coils needs fixing, and some injector naming needs fixed. I sent him a running tune file I was using for him to reference.

Good call on the wiring, might be wired wrong on the center 2 pins.

mikejza70

Nov 3, 2012
mn
As far as I know 1jz's are sequential ignition, so I'm guessing its running sequential still.

Think its worth it to swap the 'tach' and 'singnal' wire for the hell of it?? Its a good 2 hr job since its all bundled in the loom I made.

The only things that have changed in the tuner are the different sensors, injector size, and coils I have matched under 'setup wizard'.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
Google the wiring for them coils. Compare like 3 of them and ohm out the trigger wire back to the ecu plug in the firing order.

Something happened when you matched coils. 7 and 8 are active (unless that's how you have it wired) and the injector are funky setup too. All should be primary.

mikejza70

Nov 3, 2012
mn
They are falling edge, and I also read that both cam sensors are falling edge.

all 6 coils are wired correctly to the AEM for the firing order. 7 and 8 are active because its a Honda box. Ill activae all injectors as primary quick

mikejza70

Nov 3, 2012
mn
ok. welp, I'm going to put my old ignition system back in just to see if it will start.

If she does fire up and idle then the problem lays in the AEM.

If she doesn't fire up then the problem lays in the wiring or body (fuses or something). If this is the case then what should I check??

I'm hoping the old coils get spark because then I could drive to the dyno and put the 1zz's in and have the tuner start the car.

mikejza70

Nov 3, 2012
mn
Shes not firing up, I tried the AEM and the stock ecu. I wired in the stock ignitor, and coils. I grounded the coils to the head and now Im getting a code 14. (no igf signal) I thought those black wires are grounds. wtf.

mikejza70

Nov 3, 2012
mn
Update:
I put in my stock ecu and stock ignition sys and successfully got spark. I then plugged in my AEM and did not get spark, even with a fresh .cal file. The AEM internals are the only thing that I now suspect to be the problem.

Is there any way of testing the AEM drivers without opening it up?? (voids warranty if opened).
If not then I will send it off to be repaired.

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
Is this the driftmotion box?.. you should call arron at dm. If you call aem they will go to their standard answer they will say "its your wiring".. I would call arron and explain it to him if is their 1j honda box setup

mikejza70

Nov 3, 2012
mn
525gte;1942808 said:
Is this the driftmotion box?.. you should call arron at dm. If you call aem they will go to their standard answer they will say "its your wiring".. I would call arron and explain it to him if is their 1j honda box setup

Yea we have been talking lately and he says agrees that I should send the box in for inspection/repair.
I was just wondering if there's any way to test the ecu myself. I don't want to wait another 4 weeks and waste money on shipping if the unit is still good.