A serious 1jz no spark issue. Gurus welcome

mikejza70

Nov 3, 2012
mn
I just recently finished up my 1zz coil conversion and I'm not getting any spark. My guess is that the AEMV2 needs some setting changed. The car started fine with my stock motor but ever since I threw in my turbo kit and converted to 1zz coils she wont get spark. I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why. I try and stay away from the forums when I have a problem but at this point I really need some assistance. any help is greatly appreciated.

Current mods. DM 67 turbo kit, 1200cc bosch, top feed rail, DM AEMV2, battery relocation, gauges, sensors, etc, etc.

Here's a more detailed list of everything.

On the coil side of things
-coils are a 4 wire (ground, signal, tach, 12v)
-all 6 grounds are soldered to a 4awg cable, bolted to the side of the head.
-I have continuity from all 6 coil signal wires to the AEM pnp harness
-I am using a 12v straight from the batt. (i first used the existing 12v from the igniter harness but I needed to be sure that its getting "good power")
-all 'tach' outputs are tied off

On the AEM side of things
-I have entered in the correct 'volts vs. dwell' numbers
-under the setup wizard I have the coil dwell set to supra tt coils (I'm wondering if those are the correct coils I should select)

Misc
-battery is brand new
-coils are brand new from ebay
-I also have one new oem coil from toyota that I have also tested

Notes
-this is my first turbo conversion
-I am a COMLETE NOOB when it comes to the AEM. took me a good hr just to find and change the volts vs dwell setting
-I am getting new cam position sensors (stock were very brittle and a little freyed)

I don't know if the ecu is actually sending a signal to the coils because I don't have an oscilloscope. I tested the ground and 12v and both are good.
So I'm guessing the problem is in the AEM side of things. My dyno is in 5 days and I have already put a deposit down. If I cant get it started then I will have to wait another m5 weeks.

Again, any help is appreciated. -Mike

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
Did you just install the AEM too? Can you email your .cal to me. nathaninwa @ gmail.com

Edit, are you getting any spark with the plug ground to the head externally?

Last edited:

mikejza70

Nov 3, 2012
mn
nathaninwa;1941511 said:
Did you just install the AEM too? Can you email your .cal to me. nathaninwa @ gmail.com

Edit, are you getting any spark with the plug ground to the head externally?

I bought and installed the AEM around Christmas time. The car started up fine and idled very well when she was still stock.
I will send you a .cal file as soon as I figure out what that is and how haha

I am not getting any spark what so ever.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
When you have aem tuner open, click file, the save tune. I always put stuff on the desktop so I know where it is. name it what you want, and its a .cal file.

mikejza70

Nov 3, 2012
mn
Update: I remember grounding my previous battery out earlier in the winter when i was relocating it to the spare tire well..

I checked all the fuses in the driver side kick panel and in the engine bay. All of them look good. I went ahead and replaced all the important ones anyways. I'm really stumped. I really need some assistance.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
in the 10 page instruction manual that comes with the aem, it talks about the stat sync while cranking. are you getting this at all. I forget which tab its under, but i beleive its under the diagnostic page.

mikejza70

Nov 3, 2012
mn
nathaninwa;1941722 said:
in the 10 page instruction manual that comes with the aem, it talks about the stat sync while cranking. are you getting this at all. I forget which tab its under, but i beleive its under the diagnostic page.

I followed the instructions as far as I could, are you talking about the wizard drop down? Ignition timing sync?

mikejza70

Nov 3, 2012
mn
Update: I just noticed my CEL doesn't come on when I turn the key, I also cant check codes. I'm thinking it might have something to do with not having a spark...pfft doubt it.

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
your cel won't come anymore if you have the AEM hooked up unless you have a output from the AEM to the cel light possibly. Did you by pass the ignitor after hooking up the 1zz coils? The 1zz coils have built in ignitors so you can get rid of your stock ignitor. If you are still having problems, talk to Cecelio (OneJArpus). He has 1zz coils and the AEM irrc v2. I'm going to be doing this very soon as well. Where did you get your coil brackets from?

mikejza70

Nov 3, 2012
mn
supra1008;1941865 said:
your cel won't come anymore if you have the AEM hooked up unless you have a output from the AEM to the cel light possibly. Did you by pass the ignitor after hooking up the 1zz coils? The 1zz coils have built in ignitors so you can get rid of your stock ignitor. If you are still having problems, talk to Cecelio (OneJArpus). He has 1zz coils and the AEM irrc v2. I'm going to be doing this very soon as well. Where did you get your coil brackets from?

Yea i got rid of the stock ignitor. Signals wires are coming straight from the ecu now.
I actually made my own brackets. It wasn't hard at all just took a while since i had to make 3 of them. When you convert to 1zz let me know Ill send you pics and what not on how i made my brackets.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
its not under the timing wizard, its on the left of most pages, and the diagnostic page. its called stat sync letting you know the cam and crank sensors have synced after about 2 seconds of cranking. if no stat sync, then no spark.

has your check engine light ever worked with aem? you have to set it up to work and theres no checking codes with aem, theres a diagnostic page for that.

when you cycle the key, do your pumps prime? (thats just a random question)

I have sold my series 2, and the instructions are gone. but on the first couple pages that comes with the aem, theres a place it talks about stat sync and where to find it.

mikejza70

Nov 3, 2012
mn
nathaninwa;1942043 said:
any luck on this? Have you tried using a differnt coil in the Wizard, like the lq9 just to see if you get spark?

Ive only tried all the Toyota coils.

cam and crank sensors are within spec. I replaced both cam sensor clips because the old ones broke.

I checked the "stat sync'd" on the first tab and it turns on after cranking for a second.

I am honestly at loss with this...... WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON!!!!!!! I hate this stupid car. Dyno is this sat...fml

EDIT: my fuel system is perfect. injectors spray, pump primes, its all Gucci.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I have a suspicion.

You say the 4 wires to the coils are Power, ground, tach, and 'signal'? While this is true, the names are not correct; which may have caused the problem indirectly. I think you may have wired your coils incorrectly. There are 2 different ecu pins on the coils- IGT and IGF. The AEM doesn't need IGF, so they're usually left disconnected. IGT, however, is the main show. If you hooked the trigger wire from the ECU to IGF, you wouldn't have any way to fire the coils.

[strike]Looking at the pins on the coil, the left most pin is your power input, the second to the left is IGT, third is IGF, and the right hand pin is the ground. Double check to make sure your harness is wired up like this![/strike]
This diagram shows the connector view: http://www.mazdamaniac.com/images/rx8/electronics/ls2/ls2_coil_schematic.jpg

mikejza70

Nov 3, 2012
mn
toyotanos;1942136 said:
I have a suspicion.

You say the 4 wires to the coils are Power, ground, tach, and 'signal'? While this is true, the names are not correct; which may have caused the problem indirectly. I think you may have wired your coils incorrectly. There are 2 different ecu pins on the coils- IGT and IGF. The AEM doesn't need IGF, so they're usually left disconnected. IGT, however, is the main show. If you hooked the trigger wire from the ECU to IGF, you wouldn't have any way to fire the coils.

Looking at the pins on the coil, the left most pin is your power input, the second to the left is IGT, third is IGF, and the right hand pin is the ground. Double check to make sure your harness is wired up like this!
This diagram should help: http://www.mazdamaniac.com/images/rx8/electronics/ls2/ls2_coil_schematic.jpg

That might be possibility. That pinout is different than the pinout I used ->
http://www.sergionicolau.com/viatur...ignicao - cop - parts - toyota cop pinout.jpg

Which one is correct? I'm willing to try the pinout you showed me