87 na-t

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
The only problem with using arp's is if you install them first(before the head), you can't slide the head down on them while the block is in the car.
The obvious fix for that is, remove them, then install the head. Otherwise, there's absolutely no difference.

thenderson2011

Feb 11, 2012
Caney, Kansas
supraguy@aol;1857303 said:
The only problem with using arp's is if you install them first(before the head), you can't slide the head down on them while the block is in the car.
The obvious fix for that is, remove them, then install the head. Otherwise, there's absolutely no difference.

So if I were to put the ARPs in, I would just install them with the head in? Forgive me if I'm way off, just completely new to all of this.

I've decided I'm going to give it a shot and check first that the head bolts are torqued correctly, and then if that doesn't work, I'm going to get a full Fel-Pro head gasket set and do all that comes with it. I'd like to do the ARPs, but don't know what all it requires me to do. Would I be able to do all this without having to pull the motor out of the car? I've only got a very simple set of tools, and a torque wrench I'm borrowing from a friend of mine.

Thanks for the help everyone, I appreciate it a lot.

thenderson2011

Feb 11, 2012
Caney, Kansas
Alright, I got the valve covers off, now just checking the head bolts with a torque wrench to check that they were torqued right before I tear it all down. but I have a few pictures to post, and a lot of questions lol hope ya'll can help :D

thenderson2011

Feb 11, 2012
Caney, Kansas
Alright I got the valve covers off, almost got the exhaust manifold off, and have gotten through a few small things, just making slow progress and making sure I label everything.
The valve covers, top one is the one I cleaned, the bottom is the other before I cleaned it.
p1863589_1.jpg

the intake side valve cover, close up
p1863589_2.jpg

Can tell coolant has been here lol
p1863589_3.jpg

Looking into the plug hole, pretty grimy
p1863589_4.jpg

The oil return line, It was pretty clogged up, I pulled it and flushed it out with a water hose.
p1863589_5.jpg

The CPS before I pulled it out.
p1863589_6.jpg

Maybe I'm overreacting, but this seems like a huge mf deal here.
p1863589_7.jpg

That's as far as I got today, but I don't have work til Wednesday, so I'm plannin on having the majority of it done by then, as long as I don't run into too much trouble getting the cams out.