86 7mgte 4x4 build

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Well, that would be a waste! I can't wait to ditch my 22re! It's a great motor, but it's just soooo boring!

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
hummm i like the idea of haven a 7mgte but the heat from the motor makes me just wana do the 1uz swap instead

if i choose to get rid of my 3 slow witch is not slow at all when you give it some attenion

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Updates? C'mon, I'm living vicariously through this swap until I can do my own hopefully this spring!

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
shaeff;1489477 said:
Updates? C'mon, I'm living vicariously through this swap until I can do my own hopefully this spring!

I'm wating on the harness to come back. The guy that owns the truck wanted to go ahead and have a custom harness made.

I really don't like how the engine sits at all, it's slightly tilted towards the rear of the truck. I know it from moving the motor mounts further forward on the block. The oil pan is also alot closer the front diff than I care for.

He was asking me the other day about putting new cab since his has some rust on the floor boards.

I'm also going to have to modify the hks down pipe but thats no biggie. I think we are going to dump the exhaust right after the passenger door instead of running all the way to the back.

Hopefully I will have some better updates soon.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
i simply would never do this swap only one reson toy shit is shit

in less you had fj80 axles or 1 tons the axle will take it but not the diff's then just chip and die

the 7mte will just eat them alive

but if you keep them open and no lockers and no bigger then 33 you might get awau with it mabye pending on how hard you on your shit

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
bmoss85;1489628 said:
I'm wating on the harness to come back. The guy that owns the truck wanted to go ahead and have a custom harness made.

I really don't like how the engine sits at all, it's slightly tilted towards the rear of the truck. I know it from moving the motor mounts further forward on the block. The oil pan is also alot closer the front diff than I care for.

He was asking me the other day about putting new cab since his has some rust on the floor boards.

I'm also going to have to modify the hks down pipe but thats no biggie. I think we are going to dump the exhaust right after the passenger door instead of running all the way to the back.

Hopefully I will have some better updates soon.
Huh. IIRC, you're using the Cressida pan/sump, right? That was my plan as well. Maybe I'll make a custom pan. We'll see... I'm looking forward to this swap being done! :)
NashMan;1489662 said:
i simply would never do this swap only one reson toy shit is shit

in less you had fj80 axles or 1 tons the axle will take it but not the diff's then just chip and die

the 7mte will just eat them alive

but if you keep them open and no lockers and no bigger then 33 you might get awau with it mabye pending on how hard you on your shit

I disagree. The 8" rear diff is plenty stout enough for the 7M. The front is a 7.5" just like our Supra rear ends. As long as you're not beating the living piss out of it in 4WD, the diffs should be fine. Especially if a SAS is in his future.

Another option is V6 diffs. (I've got a rear V6 third in my Pickup w/ a Tru-Trac)- the V6 diffs have stronger housings, and are four pinion as opposed to the two pinion 4cylinder diffs.

I plan on running 35's w/ my 7mgte, locked rear and tru-trac front.

bmoss85

Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
Well just got the wiring harness back. I hope to get some work done next week, if I can actually get some nice weather on one of days off.

T34418L3ONE

Supra for brains.....
Jul 3, 2005
Pleasanton
the 8" rear will be plenty strong enough for the 7m. Besides you could always cyro the gears and get chromo shafts, that axle has a pretty good aftermarket.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Right on. And if you use a v6 third member (4 pinion and the housing has extra bracing cast into it) it'll be even stronger.

bmoss85

Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
Well the only update atm is that I got a clutch hose from dritmotion. Other than that havent had any time to get anything done on it.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
shaeff;1489729 said:
Huh. IIRC, you're using the Cressida pan/sump, right? That was my plan as well. Maybe I'll make a custom pan. We'll see... I'm looking forward to this swap being done! :)

I disagree. The 8" rear diff is plenty stout enough for the 7M. The front is a 7.5" just like our Supra rear ends. As long as you're not beating the living piss out of it in 4WD, the diffs should be fine. Especially if a SAS is in his future.

Another option is V6 diffs. (I've got a rear V6 third in my Pickup w/ a Tru-Trac)- the V6 diffs have stronger housings, and are four pinion as opposed to the two pinion 4cylinder diffs.

I plan on running 35's w/ my 7mgte, locked rear and tru-trac front.

well i blown 5 diff in my v6 3 slow see the diff it self ok ish it's the ring gear that dies i broke like 4 of them and destroyed carrie as well and twisted a shaft and bent one

there people that wheel (ME) and there people that don't (YOU)

and if you run detiot the if the ring gear doe snot fail and break shaft you grenade the diff form the shock load

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I read the title and was like O f'ing no, but then saw the pics and was like O f'ing yes. Nice build up.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
NashMan;1522291 said:
well i blown 5 diff in my v6 3 slow see the diff it self ok ish it's the ring gear that dies i broke like 4 of them and destroyed carrie as well and twisted a shaft and bent one

there people that wheel (ME) and there people that don't (YOU)

and if you run detiot the if the ring gear doe snot fail and break shaft you grenade the diff form the shock load

LOL, funny how you think you know so much about me. Perhaps you wheel a different way than I do. Maybe you're too heavy on the skinny pedal. What gears are you running in your diffs? Who's building your diffs? How are the clearances? What size tires?

I don't, and won't run Detroit lockers. Selectable (ARB/OEM) or Tru-Trac. The part of your text that I enlarged says it all to me, and I need not argue with you any further.

I'm not saying the Toyota stuff is nearly as strong as a '60, but saying that it's weak is just bad information. For this guy's use, I'm willing to bet that the stock driveline will be more than enough.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
toyota diffs are junk under big power and if there locked there even worse the only good toy rear diff is form the landcruser or 1 tons

all ready did the 7mgte truck game

front cvs broke alot and broke 2 4.10 rears not locked we bought set of 1 tons but the truck got stolen so that ended that sweet truck rip peaces were ever you are cool blue this was running 33's wiht light wheeling and none crush sleav yonkon gears

it just warning repairer to break stuff cause it will happen in less you have hores shoe up your butt or drive down loggin road and take it easy

but i am very happy with my detriot and recomned that diff to any one

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
It's been forever, any updates on this? I'm hopefully picking up a 7M for mine on Sunday!

bmoss85

Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
I took the truck to the owners house where he decided he wanted to replace the whole cab. Unforntunatly we have been working on opposite shifts for quite some time and it has made it almost impossible to get any work done. I did get a harness made by dr. tweak to make everythong plug and play, it turned out really nice. I don't know whats gonna happen with replacing the cab.