86 7mgte 4x4 build

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Ah poop! I'm planning to raid a junkyard and make myself a jumper harness so I don't have to cut anything. I've got an entire dash harness out of my old Supra, so I just need the connectors from a Pickup like mine. It'll kindof be like a fields harness. :) Did you guys ever get the motor in? If so, what did you do for the dipstick? IIRC you used a Cressida/front sump pan/pump?

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
There is another boss on the block thatr I drilled for the dipatick tube. The motor is in the truck, I'm not very happy with how it sits. I don't like the way the mkii brackets worked out. It would"ve been better to make custom brackets on the frame. I was just trying to keep it as simple and bolt in as possible.

Also, I don't know how the harness is on the fuel in jected harness, but on the carb trucks it has one harness that runs from the cab to both headlights and the little odds and end on the engine. It was actually very long.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
bmoss85;1622967 said:
There is another boss on the block thatr I drilled for the dipatick tube. The motor is in the truck, I'm not very happy with how it sits. I don't like the way the mkii brackets worked out. It would"ve been better to make custom brackets on the frame. I was just trying to keep it as simple and bolt in as possible.

Also, I don't know how the harness is on the fuel in jected harness, but on the carb trucks it has one harness that runs from the cab to both headlights and the little odds and end on the engine. It was actually very long.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking about doing for the dipstick. Do the MKII mounts make the motor lean too far back or something? I can probably cut mine, bend, and re-weld/plate for strength. I suppose a test-fit will enlighten me, but it's nice to know what to expect beforehand.

Yeah, the fuel injected harness is much like the Supra's harness setup. It crawls all over the motor, but mostly just the intake side because there's a lot less electronics on the 22re.

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
I Like the idea However I run my truck in deep water and mudd. I am just worried about all the turbo sealing up. SO I am opting for the 4.3 V-tech.

I also have to disagree about the BS of the toyota differential being junk. They as strong as the ford 9" rearends. I am currently running 37" M/T claws and have had no issues with them other than my stupidity. When the truck starts bouncing and every bounce you say just a little longer it will break every time. I am also am running the stock gears. I am going to put it in the shop after the supra. And do a full SAS. have a spare axle from an 85. Will aslo be running tru track. Would love to afford the ARB airlockers but OH well.

MY YOTA V6
1002094kn8.jpg

This is my favorite pic of mine. Just coming out of the river.
truck6oh3.jpg

I would love some opinions on the 7Mgte and how the power is.

SORRY FOR THE THREAD JACK :bigun2::2ar15:

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Sick. I've admired that out-of-the-river pic of yours for quite some time! I'll definitely let you know how the GTE runs. I will start my own thread though, so as to not clutter this one. :)

bmoss85

Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
shaeff;1622976 said:
Yeah, that's what I was thinking about doing for the dipstick. Do the MKII mounts make the motor lean too far back or something? I can probably cut mine, bend, and re-weld/plate for strength. I suppose a test-fit will enlighten me, but it's nice to know what to expect beforehand.

Yeah, the fuel injected harness is much like the Supra's harness setup. It crawls all over the motor, but mostly just the intake side because there's a lot less electronics on the 22re.

Yes it does make the engine lean back, since the mounts bolt further forward oin the block than the original mounts. I did get lucky and didn't have to clearance the firewall due to the body lift.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Perhaps I'll make some sort of shim, then, or cut/reweld the MKII mounts at a slightly different angle. Thanks!

bmoss85

Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
shaeff;1623201 said:
Perhaps I'll make some sort of shim, then, or cut/reweld the MKII mounts at a slightly different angle. Thanks!

are still gonna go with higher compression?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Sure am! If the weather is nice this weekend like predicted, I'll be picking up a great example of an N/A block with the rotating assembly, head, and oil pump. I might modify the Supra pan to fit with the IFS differential and keep the stock dipstick location if that'll work. Plan is to get the motor 100% assembled and wired up with my old Supra harness, MaftPro in speed/density, and I was talking with one of the mechanics at my job- they have aluminum wire for their MIG, straight argon, and a spool gun. What's that mean? FFIM on the cheap out of a stock manifold, using a stock throttlebody. Mainly for ease of intercooler piping, and access to the spark plugs.

I will probably be doing the coil on plug conversion too. I want it clean and easy to work on. Especially considering I'm pulling a perfectly running 22re to install this, I plan to keep a flawless reliability track record!

bmoss85

Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
I really think the higher compression will work well with the truck. I used .040 over n/a pistons in a gte block, hoping to have just a little more bottom end grunt. I am worried about the w56 tranny, we will see if it holds up or not.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Right on. Considering it is a truck, I'd like to have a bit more low end grunt. 200 N/A horsepower would have been a significant increase over stock, throw a turbo in the mix along with MaftPro + tuning and it should make a sweet wintertime daily driver. Maybe now I'll actually drive it in the summertime rather than taking the M3 everywhere because the pickup is so damn slow. That's the ONLY thing I hate about it. So. Slow.

I'm not concerned about the w56. I think it'll take the heat. There are guys running around with stock diffs and 35"+ tires smoking them up. (check youtube) and so far they've been lasting ok. I'll keep an eye on the tranny/t-case oil for more metal than usual.

bmoss85

Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
The next yota truck swap will either be jz, or uz. But I need a truck first, since the other one is my buddys.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I thought about a 1uz, or LSx, but I think the sudden shock of flooring it (vs the slower shock of spooling turbo) would be the end of the w56. Though, there are guys out there running that exact setup with great success. I'm just so familiar with the 7M that it's a no brainer for me. Once I get my own garage I'll do something out of the ordinary like that.