7MGE-T won't start

thenderson2011

Feb 11, 2012
Caney, Kansas
Update : The toyota dealership got it running, the timing gears were set wrong. Apparently the guy who changed the BHG put em in wrong.

A little intro to this car. I bought it as my graduation present to myself last year. The car was $1000 with a BHG. I hired a friend of mine to replace it, and found out the head was cracked. Proceeded to buy a new head for it, and my friend put it all back together, but then never finished it. His dad told me I had to get the car out of their yard (It was killing their grass :nono:) so I took it to my girlfriends house for her dad and I to work on. Figured out the security was what was keeping the car from starting (or so I thought) and so I took it to a shop. I waited about 3 months or so, and they had absolutely nothing done on it. They had checked the timing and that was it.

So I decided that I would take it home and finish it up myself. I have had it at my house for about a week now, and have bypassed the security (by grounding the blue/orange wire leading to the Theft Deterrent Computer) and put the belts back on, and now I'm kind of at a stand still. It will crank, I have spark (shocked myself while I was checking it haha) and I have jumped the FP and B+ on the diagnostic block and my fuel pump will turn on, but it won't turn over and start. I have also jumped the T1 and E1 diagnostic spots, and got a Code 11.

The timing :
p1843430_1.jpg
p1843430_2.jpg

p1843430_3.jpg

p1843430_4.jpg

I was also told to check that the cam lobe was on its upward swing when at TDC, and it is. I have not yet gotten a timing light, but plan to buy one Friday when I get my paycheck.

I also have checked my coil pack, which the friend of mine who replaced the head had ran wrong. I redid the plug wires to all the correct cylinders, and still, no start.

I had a box of things that I got from my friend's house when I moved the car, and when I was going through it, I found this wire :
p1843430_5.jpg

I have been told that this might be a coilpack-to-valve cover ground, and was told to look on the drivers side of the coilpacks for a ground wire, but had no luck finding one. If this is correct, where would I run the wire from, and where would I ground it to? I was thinking that maybe this is where the ground should end, and have checked the bolt, and it seems to fit :
p1843430_6.jpg

I have also found that some of my fuses near the battery are not getting power. I was testing them with a test light, and the row of fuses closest to the battery all light up fine, but the fuses (including what I believe is the EFI fuse) further from the battery do not light up. The fuses do not appear to be blown, though.

p1843430_7.jpg

p1843430_8.jpg

What would be my next move to make from here? I think I need to figure out why I'm not getting power to those fuses, although I'm not sure what could be preventing these but not the ones next to them.

Edit : Ignore the fuse part of that, i was checking the wrong fuses, my bad

Last edited:

peste noire

Jan 11, 2012
los angeles,CA
spray some starter fliud in the throttle body and try to crank see if you can get rid of it being a fuel problem.. any codes?? and do you have the cam gears in the right sockets/ holes from the camshaft??

cause ive seen this done were they put the gear on the wrong holes on cam and the cam gear would be alined with the back plate on tdc but still wouldnt couldnt start.

well cause they didnt do the timing right

thenderson2011

Feb 11, 2012
Caney, Kansas
peste noire;1843520 said:
spray some starter fliud in the throttle body and try to crank see if you can get rid of it being a fuel problem.. any codes?? and do you have the cam gears in the right sockets/ holes from the camshaft??

cause ive seen this done were they put the gear on the wrong holes on cam and the cam gear would be alined with the back plate on tdc but still wouldnt couldnt start.

well cause they didnt do the timing right

I have tried spraying starter fluid in the throttle body, and no luck :(

Also, my girlfriend's dad, who works as a mechanic, told me the cam gears can't be put on wrong because of a notch they have in them. Is that true? He generally works on domestic cars so that could be something true for them but not for toyotas.

Warlock1

Mar 13, 2012
Surprise, AZ
A couple of things here. Why did you have to bypass the securtiy system and is this an NA that has been converted to a turbo? What ECU are you using?

thenderson2011

Feb 11, 2012
Caney, Kansas
Warlock1;1843975 said:
A couple of things here. Why did you have to bypass the securtiy system and is this an NA that has been converted to a turbo? What ECU are you using?

Because I can't get the key to turn in the lock to disable it, and it would lock up. yes it's an NA that was converted to a turbo. I'm not sure about the ECU, to be honest. How can I check?

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
there are 3 holes drilled into the cam gear
on the front of cam shafts theres a dowel pin
the dowel pin will slide into the middle hole

1st you need to diagnose code 11
code 11 is set when the voltage to ecu is interupted
what you need to do is check your ecu grounds
theyre located on intake manifold where the upper and lower manifolds bolt together; go ahead and clean grounds
next would be a voltage loss at ecu
get yourself a wiring diagram... and start testing for voltage at ecu harness

have you checked your firing order to make sure its correct?
when looking down on engine from front bumper the order goes from left to right. coil 1 is 1 and 6, coil 2 is 3 and 4, coil 3 is 2 and 5
do you have a turbo afm? wont run if its not plugged in
since your a n/a conversion do you have a yellow or grey plug harness?
if you have a yellow plug do you have the HAC sensor and is it plugged in? its located near the ecu

if you need help locating the HAC sensor
google 1987 turbo supra hac sensor
click on images
it should be the 2nd picture with sensor

or http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-12185.html

thenderson2011

Feb 11, 2012
Caney, Kansas
jonahs_supra;1844023 said:
there are 3 holes drilled into the cam gear
on the front of cam shafts theres a dowel pin
the dowel pin will slide into the middle hole

1st you need to diagnose code 11
code 11 is set when the voltage to ecu is interupted
what you need to do is check your ecu grounds
theyre located on intake manifold where the upper and lower manifolds bolt together; go ahead and clean grounds
next would be a voltage loss at ecu
get yourself a wiring diagram... and start testing for voltage at ecu harness

have you checked your firing order to make sure its correct?
when looking down on engine from front bumper the order goes from left to right. coil 1 is 1 and 6, coil 2 is 3 and 4, coil 3 is 2 and 5
do you have a turbo afm? wont run if its not plugged in
since your a n/a conversion do you have a yellow or grey plug harness?
if you have a yellow plug do you have the HAC sensor and is it plugged in? its located near the ecu

if you need help locating the HAC sensor
google 1987 turbo supra hac sensor
click on images
it should be the 2nd picture with sensor

or http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-12185.html

how many ECU ground are there?
I have checked the firing order. I believe it's correct. The coil pack plugs would go to the corresponding cylinder right? (eg. on coil 1, 1 would go to cyl. 1, 6 goes to cyl 6)
How do I identify the turbo afm? I'll look around for plugs not being plugged in.
The yellow or grey plug harness that plugs into what? The ecu harness is Yellow.

thenderson2011

Feb 11, 2012
Caney, Kansas
I have that set up, but i was jus wondering when I run my plugs, I run the wire going from 1 on the coil pack to cylinder 1, 6 on the coil pack to cylinder 6 and so forth

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Turbo afm has a honey comb in the front, n/a has a door. And it will run with the afm disconnected.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

KTM530

Supramania Contributor
Jan 24, 2011
santa rosa
i posted the corresponding numbers on the coil pac. 1 on the coil pac goes to 1st cylinder and so on. Did you click the pic and make it bigger?

KTM530

Supramania Contributor
Jan 24, 2011
santa rosa
"I run the wire going from 1 on the coil pack to cylinder 1, 6 on the coil pack to cylinder 6 and so forth"
no! you run them in the order i posted.

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
thenderson2011;1844031 said:
how many ECU ground are there?
I have checked the firing order. I believe it's correct. The coil pack plugs would go to the corresponding cylinder right? (eg. on coil 1, 1 would go to cyl. 1, 6 goes to cyl 6)
How do I identify the turbo afm? I'll look around for plugs not being plugged in.
The yellow or grey plug harness that plugs into what? The ecu harness is Yellow.

If I recall correctly theres 1 eyelet which has 4 wires going into it for the ground point on intake manifold
Firing order should be correct then
http://oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1028&start=30&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&view=print 3rd picture down is the turbo afm

Ok so you have a pre89 ecu and harness then
unplug ecu(tccs) from the wiring harness
ill make it easy for ya
heres a ecu pinout for a pre89
http://s590.photobucket.com/albums/...&current=ECU-pinout-87.gif&mediafilter=images

thenderson2011

Feb 11, 2012
Caney, Kansas
Backlash2032;1844054 said:
Turbo afm has a honey comb in the front, n/a has a door. And it will run with the afm disconnected.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
Okay. I think it is connected, regardless it still wont' start.
KTM530;1844058 said:
i posted the corresponding numbers on the coil pac. 1 on the coil pac goes to 1st cylinder and so on. Did you click the pic and make it bigger?

yeah, that's what I meant. I have the corresponding numbers, I was just making sure that i was running my plug wires correctly. And yes, that picture was the cps at TDC

KTM530

Supramania Contributor
Jan 24, 2011
santa rosa
thenderson2011;1844048 said:
I have that set up, but i was jus wondering when I run my plugs, I run the wire going from 1 on the coil pack to cylinder 1, 6 on the coil pack to cylinder 6 and so forth
no, you run them in the order i posted.
"sorry computer glitch"

Last edited:

thenderson2011

Feb 11, 2012
Caney, Kansas
jonahs_supra;1844064 said:
If I recall correctly theres 1 eyelet which has 4 wires going into it for the ground point on intake manifold
Firing order should be correct then
http://oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1028&start=30&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&view=print 3rd picture down is the turbo afm

Ok so you have a pre89 ecu and harness then
unplug ecu(tccs) from the wiring harness
ill make it easy for ya
heres a ecu pinout for a pre89
http://s590.photobucket.com/albums/...n=view¤t=ECU-pinout-87.gif&mediafilter=images

So which of the terminals do I use to check the ECU?