7mge Computer???

supraman420

Jetta time
Aug 16, 2005
Chicago
Is there a computer upgrade similar to an HKS F-CON for a N/A comuter??? I am planning on using GE electronics and strap a turbo to the engine. I need some way to tune it, and I'm unable to find any real solution. I NEED to to be able to adjust fuel and timing b/c without those two, my engine goes BOOM!! Which I would like to avoid for as long as possible.

I would like to say that strapping a turbo to my engine is somewhat stupid, but with the right tuning you can get INSANE power. I have read and done a lot of research and I've concluded the higher compression will yield more power. Your engine can possibly blow up at any moment but with relatively low boost, plenty of fuel, and a safe timing retard it should be somewhat reliable.

Any thoughts? I have read about the posts on the N/A-1/2T but am unsure what to do about timing retard. I have almost every piece necessary except for DP (looking for nice and inexpensive DDP) and boost gauge, controller, and thats about it. I NEED expert advice... please help a brother out!

tubbie

Yes, powerful Jedi....
Apr 4, 2005
Hoschton, GA
Buy the Fcon, contact HKS, get a chip for the ge turbo. That's all you need. Fcon will take care of the rest.....

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Yes HKS sells a GE chip. You might even try ebay for a used/unsold one. Of course more compression yields more power, it isnt a matter of verifying through the internet though!! :)

supraman420

Jetta time
Aug 16, 2005
Chicago
Of course more compression yields more power, it isnt a matter of verifying through the internet though!! :)[/QUOTE]

NO INTERNET was necessary. I read mostly articles and paperbacks. My buddy let me borrow this incredible book about turbo engines. I have learned an incredible amount about cars recently reading various articles and such.
Anyways, I would like to know if these "chips" you both speak of will adjust timing. Can I adjust timing manually with a laptop? I am quite new to the electrical aspect of engines so ALL advice is appreciated.

Mr.SelfDestruct

I build planes... yeah...
May 27, 2005
everett, WA
if you're keeping ge electronics, you can use the distributer to adjust timing, cant you? plus you should go to paradiseracing.com, they have some good fuel/timing computers there that run off of a distributer.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
NO INTERNET was necessary. I read mostly articles and paperbacks. My buddy let me borrow this incredible book about turbo engines. I have learned an incredible amount about cars recently reading various articles and such.
:werd:

The "chip" is for the HKS PFC-FCON. It is a piggy back fuel compter. It wont do anything for timing.

mcpcola

7M's = Peoples Champ
Jul 4, 2005
Greater Gulf Coast
yea this is old school stuff all you need is a fuel pressure reg SAFC to pull unneeded fuel and adjust the distributor and you are good to go.

supraman420

Jetta time
Aug 16, 2005
Chicago
mcpcola you mean you are good to BLOW! dont you? I really need to do something about my timing w/out screwing with the distributor. Headache!!!! I really dont know what I'm going to do at this point.

Maybe I should buy a GTE front clip and switch all electronics but keep my head and block. I will start searching soon, but if anyone knows of a reasonably priced front clip or a junked GTE supra... let me know please.

I'm just trying to figure out what my options are...

Thanks all for the help, and opinions.

Supra7MG

Supramania Contributor
Oct 13, 2005
Duncansville, PA.
Just my experience Turbo'ing a 7MG. In 91 I Turbo'd my 88NA by utilizing a then available HKS kit. At that time my car had 10,200 on the odo. Car now has 38,600 with zero problems. The toughest part was that at the time I did the conversion there were no sources of good info. The HKS instructions were translated to English and were terrible. Back then my old racing buddies thought I was crazy. I think that I had great foresight! I'm running a 3mm steel headgasket from HKS to drop compression to 8.5. Stock NA pistons. If I were doing this today I probably would go with a 2mm gasket. I'm running an HKS external oil cooler with a thermostat. Fuel is tuned via an HKS F-Con and 440cc injectors. The appropriate Eprom and dip switch settings for the F-Con are still available from HKS. The stock AFM is retained, although I have opened up the internal ID as much as possible and polished the inside to a mirror finish. This mod along with having RC engineering bore out the NA throttle body to the max has yielded me very good throttle response and driveability. MSD 6A Box and wires, HKS iridium plugs with inital advance set 13 BTDC. NA ECU. HKS front mount intercooler, hard pipes and Super Sequential. My full on EGT Temp is 1375 1/2"" from the head on #6. Turbo is a 57Trim Garret TO4B with an external gate. I usually run 14psi and easilly light 275/40/17s from a 2nd gear roll. Car is a slayer on the street and is still at full weight. I have done much too much to list here but I felt that what I have posted would be of some help. If the factory knock sensor picks up knock, it will signal the ECU to pull timing. It has only happened to me once when I got some questionable gas.