7m runnin twins?

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
indy_mk3;1142656 said:
ok guys thanks for the help i really appreciate it but here's the story i bought the car in summer of 07 and bought it with a BHG. So as soon as i got the car i got the HG done at the shop which cost me 2500 yes 2500 so after that i saved up and headed to vancouver to buy new goodies. But unfortunately as soon as i got there i heard a faint knocking sound so i pulled over and checked it out to only find ROD KNOCK! yes 2 days after spending 2500 but instead of getting rid of it i decided to get a used motor imported from japan.

When they 'rebuilt' the motor, they didn't clean everything, and probably used the same oil pump (and presumably didn't rebuild that, or even flush it), thus, mixing all the old coolant/oil residue left from the BHG, into your fresh oil reserve in your not so rebuilt motor. End result is almost always Rod Knock.

indy_mk3;1142656 said:
But unfortunately this summer on the way back from vancouver i got a BHG on the highway...again.

Probably lack of torque on the headbolts. For future reference, retorquing the stock headbolts or replacing them is the bare minimum to prevent a failure like this.

I'm not trying to be a jerk in any way, just trying to let you know what probably went down to floor you out of so much $$$$.

To do a TT build, first you need a solid and reliable engine, do that first... then worry about the turbo. You can always just build the engine right, throw on a CT26 and have fun for a year or two while you collect parts and money to do a TT setup.

indy_mk3

boost-creep
Oct 15, 2007
kelowna
Keros;1143092 said:
When they 'rebuilt' the motor, they didn't clean everything, and probably used the same oil pump (and presumably didn't rebuild that, or even flush it), thus, mixing all the old coolant/oil residue left from the BHG, into your fresh oil reserve in your not so rebuilt motor. End result is almost always Rod Knock.

Probably lack of torque on the headbolts. For future reference, retorquing the stock headbolts or replacing them is the bare minimum to prevent a failure like this.

I'm not trying to be a jerk in any way, just trying to let you know what probably went down to floor you out of so much $$$$.

To do a TT build, first you need a solid and reliable engine, do that first... then worry about the turbo. You can always just build the engine right, throw on a CT26 and have fun for a year or two while you collect parts and money to do a TT setup.

the motor was actually never rebuilt it just had a head gasket done to it and when i got the used motor we checked the block and it was good and we got the head machined. And i also torqued her to 75 ft.lb ;) like i said ive been through a lot with that car. But it was partially my fault for not installing a relay for the electric fans...thus they melted the toggle switch and she overheated a few times so i knew it was coming but as for the motor im going to be ripping it out this winter and ordering some goodies. I was thinking .040 forged wiseco, eagle forged rods, HKS hg, ARP hardware, and all new seals, bearings, and new hardware everywhere. But i was going to ask has anyone used the brain crower cams on there 7m? if so how are they?

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
I just talked to the guy who has this car:

427757_l.jpg

His 7M is making around 1000 hp (1200 with NOS). He has a few years back been trying to do a twin turbo setup but eventually had to give up.

He told me that there was no way he could get balance between the two turbos and the intake. It would resonate in some imbalanced way or some thing like that. I didn't fully understand what he meant. But the point was that the only way around it would be to run an intake manifold with two throttle bodies or to make an exhaust manifold with a connection between the two turbos before the flanges. The last option would kill of the torque advantage of going twin turbo.

The guy makes a living selling turbo chargers and has actually tried going twin turbo on a 7M and gave up. So I'm definately giving up on that now.

I just thought I'd share my chat with someone who has actually done it and left it.

T4 it is.

bluemk3

cool
Feb 28, 2006
h burg, PA
Becauseican did it i believe it was on a 7m but it may have been on a 1 jz also im gonna try out the possibilities of twin gt 28 on my next build and try to hit 575 600 whp just to be different ive become decent at welding.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
His was on a 1JZ.

I have quite a bit of respect for the guy I talked to, and if he says it won't work I belive him.

In contrast to most contributers of this thread (some being very experienced and being people I also respect - IJ) he has actually done it and despite being an importer and rebuilder of turbos he finally gave up finding the proper setup and went single turbo.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
indy_mk3;1133836 said:
why do you say that ? the only reason i want to do this to a 7m is because its not something you see everyday and i think it would be nice having....

View attachment 25206

IJ.;1133868 said:
e for "effort" ;)

Seriously with BB Turbo's there's no reason to go twins if they're not sequential.

You forgot a V configuration with 2 cylinder heads.

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
IJ.;1152999 said:
Cross over pipe and a modern BB turbo ;)

Something wrong with two GT35R's on a Ford 5.4 V8? (Ford GT) Serious question. Although his hired driver couldn't keep the front in front and back in back either with that set up.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Nick: Nothing at all that'd be a killer combination, we're talking street cars though so something approaching driveable can be done easily with a single.

In the old days twins were a valid option as they'd spool much sooner than a comparable HP Single, I ran twin T04's on my Toyota V-8 for this reason.

indy_mk3

boost-creep
Oct 15, 2007
kelowna
k well this kinda just got carried away so i was browsing the internet and ended up pickin up a 2jzgte with auto tranny, ecu, and harness for about 2000 so the 7m is coming out and i just started parting it out.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
IJ.;1153439 said:
In the old days twins were a valid option as they'd spool much sooner than a comparable HP Single, I ran twin T04's on my Toyota V-8 for this reason.

I forgot to ask, any other info on your V8?