7m consuming oil. no idea why

Beefy_Heafy

Toyota Love
Nov 9, 2009
South East Qld
I did another compression test last night. Looking 100% awesome, gunna bite the bullet and change these seals.
next time i build an engine ill assemble the valvetrain myself. its the only part of the engine i didnt put together, and seemingly the only part thats fail
okay got the cams and solid lifters pulled off this morning. gunna change the stem seals with mate later on.

Beefy_Heafy

Toyota Love
Nov 9, 2009
South East Qld
okay. changed out all the valve stem seals. managed to do this with the head still on by getting a friend to push down on valve springs with a jack handle bar that had a 1/2 section cut out of the bottom so i could put the collets back in. also filled the cylinders with soft rope to stop valves falling in.
intake stem seal on pot 3 was damaged
exhaust seal on pot 2 was riding the valve 1/2 an inch away from where it was supposed to be. that would have been my main issue perhaps
Problem fixed. no more oil smoke or oil consumption
will assemble my own heads from now on

MA70_Powa

Boost Addict
Jun 17, 2007
Tasmania
Good to hear! You've inspired me to get my valve stem seals replaced sooner rather than later (but I won't be doing it myself...)
Hopefully that'll fix my problem too!

Beefy_Heafy

Toyota Love
Nov 9, 2009
South East Qld
good glad i could help. its great to not be burning my expensive as hell oil constantly.
although the first drive i went on after fixing this my turbo oil return failed and now i have engine bay fires and massive clouds of toxic smoke :s
will fix today. does it ever end :p

MA70_Powa

Boost Addict
Jun 17, 2007
Tasmania
LOL
I still have to get my oil drain changed over to a braided hose - I actually discovered that it's leaking small drips of oil... Which then proceed to burn on the turbo manifold and make clouds of smoke come out from my bonnet.... :(

SupraChrisMk3

New Booster
Feb 8, 2006
Salisbury, Vermont, United States
This has been a really interesting thread read for me. I am also having some smoking issues. No smoke on start up, but after gearing down and coming to a stop i will sometimes see a good puff of smoke. And also again when i take off. It doesn't seem to smoke under boost at all just most noticably in the two mentioned situations. I replaced my BHG last summer and had the head work done at a local machine shop. I gave them new valve stem seals to install and they also cleaned it all up and smoothed it all down. I have also noticed that when i replaced the old hose from the valve covers to the pcv tube recently that quite a bit of oil seemed to drip out of the pcv tube. I have the pcv routed same as stock setup so I was a little worried that it was actually dripping oil out of pcv tube. I will double check some of the stuff mentioned in this thread but in the mean time any input or theories will be appreciated.

Beefy_Heafy

Toyota Love
Nov 9, 2009
South East Qld
i guess as the things in my thread here panned out i had to go from possibility to possibility via process of elimination. u should mabye do a compression and leakdown test as ur baseline.
ummmm i forget there is a way to pinpoint what the issue could be via ur symptoms, puff of smoke when moving off lights is stem seals i think but smoke on decel is rings mabye. dont quote me on that. if u go back through thread it might be in there somewhere or google :p