7/16" exhaust stud upgrade?

catback

Mar 30, 2005
bitterville
i haven't been able to find the answer to this so here goes.

i got a ssac manifold but the studs on the bottom wouldnt go through the mani. i drilled it out and it's fine, but what do you do about the exh. gasket?
it seems like i have to remove the copper washers on the gasket that seals the mani...

can these be removed without any side effects? (scratches head)
how else can i get around this issue:1zhelp:

catback

Mar 30, 2005
bitterville
figgie said:
same thing!!

more than likely. You probably did true the holes up and that made the bolts come in slanted.

i got a gasket kit from toyota, not a gasket that comes with the manifold.
the stud will not fit through the copper washer on the gasket,
if i remove that ring do i have to remove all 7 copper rings on the gasket to keep everything even?
the studs arent on the head yet!!:1zhelp:

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
That's an after market gasket...the new version Toyota OEM gaskets are a MLS type.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
catback said:
here's a pic of what i'm talking about..

notice how those two holes are smaller.

i have done 3 set's of 7/16 helicoil sets,

all using the same style gasket, two tighter holes in the lower center.

it comes down to the studs fit, but misaligned taping/ and or boring of the holes. if they are not to far out tapping of a ruber mallet may pull them in enough, but is not the best solution. it's either bending the stud or displacing the soft alumium. ??

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
catback said:
i haven't been able to find the answer to this so here goes.

i got a ssac manifold but the studs on the bottom wouldnt go through the mani. i drilled it out and it's fine, but what do you do about the exh. gasket?
it seems like i have to remove the copper washers on the gasket that seals the mani...

can these be removed without any side effects? (scratches head)
how else can i get around this issue:1zhelp:

The SS Autochrome manifold barely works with stock studs, let alone larger diameter studs. :biglaugh: Usually at least 3 of the lower studs need to be made shorter, and one hole at each end is about 1/16" off center.

As for the gasket not fitting on the 7/16 studs, I know the Fel Pro gasket from AutoZone fits, I have used them on several engines.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
dont remove the washers, I think thats begging for leaks. I had a hard time with my first gasket and I used a pair of needle nose plyers, pushed them into the washer firmly and rotated em, essentially expanding the opening and it allowed the gasket to fit.

On my new head, the one I paid a pretty penny for, one of the studs was "professionally" installed crooked. For me, the only way I can get my SSac manifold on it is to remove that stud, put the manifold on loosly, then thread the stud through the manifold and into the block. Its not ideal but its only one and I dont feel like having the head filled/drilled all over again.

catback

Mar 30, 2005
bitterville
^^^ i have the same issue, three crooked studs:3d_frown:
the head is going to the machine shop on monday to fix this problem.
it is a felpro gasket not toyota, not sure why i said that.
i did notice if i take the stud out of the head, i can thread it on to the gasket so i think that's the way i'll go with it.

thanks for the help guys now i just have to wait for the machine shop to do their thing.

Last edited:

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
I just did my helicoils for the exhaust side today at a friend's machine shop.
This is what i did...

I mounted a precision angle plate on the bridgeport machine.
Then I mounted the head on the angle plate. That way I knew the head was parallel to the Z axis of the bridgeport and the exhaust manifold side of the head surface was perpendicular to the X and Y axis of the bridgeport.

I got a pin/plug gauge that fits just right in the exhaust threaded holes.Using this in the bridgeport I went to the center of the first hole and reset the X and Y machine coordinates to zero.

I went to the center of each of the seven holes and wrote down the X and Y values.

Inserted the right sized drill and using the X, Y coordinates I drilled out each hole.

I used the same X,Y coordinates and tapped out each hole paying close attention not to pull out the tap fast. Doing so will damage the threads.

I did not tap the whole length because I did not want to take the risk of bottoming the tap and damaging the thread. I just tapped 3/4 of the hole.

I then came in with a T-Handle tap holder and tapped the rest of the length of each hole.

All done...Took longer but I did it the professional way.My friends would never teach me or let me do shortcuts in their shop...Its good experience for me.

Cheers,
Roy

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I think tte's point is a machine shop has the equipment and know how to helicoil the stud holes. To get the head back from a machine shop with a crooked stud(s) is unsat.

catback

Mar 30, 2005
bitterville
jdub said:
I think tte's point is a machine shop has the equipment and know how to helicoil the stud holes. To get the head back from a machine shop with a crooked stud(s) is unsat.

Yeah.. i had my lawyer call the guy and very nicely let him know that he has two choices. 1. fix everything at his cost or 2. purchase a new toyota head for $1730..

guess what he chose:biglaugh:

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
jdub said:

My point exactly...It is my friend's shop and he shown me how to do the first one and I did all the rest myself. I am not a experienced machinist. I am in the electrical and communications field.

If I can do it good I dont any reason why experienced shops make simple fuckups like that esp if the crooked studs would be very visible.They could at least have repaired it before sending it out to you.

Cheers,
Roy

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
jdub said:

My thoughts exactly. I said something to that effect but I deleted it because I didn't want to sound rude. Why would any machine shop feel that it's ok to give parts back to a customer that are machined or drilled crooked or off center, the whole point of taking parts to a machine shop is for precision work done with the right equipment. I'll drill crooked holes myself for free :biglaugh:

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I recently had an owner ask me to install this kit. There were several things I didn't like about it, not the least was that it used Recoil inserts as opposed to Helicoil. However the main point I wanted to make was the exhaust gasket would not fit over the lower two studs. Not because they weren't installed straight but because the gasket crush areas were smaller then the stud diameter. The gasket was a genuine Toyota part obtained a week ago as part of the factory head gasket kit.