6x9 rear speakers in back seat side panels

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
So my stock rear speakers are shot, like most of them, and I picked up a nice set of 6x9's for dirt cheap, which I've been trying to decide where to mount.

I kind of like the idea of mounting them in the side panels of the back seat, but I don't know how difficult this would be. I'd need to cut out a small section of the inner body wall in order to get the required clearance, and I may need to strengthen the side panel itself in to get it to hold the weight (MDF backing?), but I still don't know how successful this would be.

Have you guys ever seen this done before? Anyone have opinions?

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Poodles;1450943 said:
6x9's tend to not sound as good as a normal round speaker. They were used in GM cars for space reasons usually...

Although very true, the people here probably won't be able to hear the difference...

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
I don't really intend to sell these since fabrication is not my thing. It's just an idea I had, so I figured it was worth a shot. However, if the install goes well, I'll do my best to put together a complete write up. It shouldn't be that hard.

Pood - I've heard that round speakers are better than the off-round ones, but the 6x9's that I have came really cheap. When Circuit City went out of business I picked up a $200 eclipse speakers for 90% off. That, and I think the 6x9's will fit the spot fairly well in that spot.

The only real question I think will be if the sound quality will be any good.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
Neodeuccio;1451398 said:
I don't really intend to sell these since fabrication is not my thing. It's just an idea I had, so I figured it was worth a shot. However, if the install goes well, I'll do my best to put together a complete write up. It shouldn't be that hard.

Pood - I've heard that round speakers are better than the off-round ones, but the 6x9's that I have came really cheap. When Circuit City went out of business I picked up a $200 eclipse speakers for 90% off. That, and I think the 6x9's will fit the spot fairly well in that spot.

The only real question I think will be if the sound quality will be any good.

I think a quality amp and superior replacement for stocker is going to be better use of funds.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
That will happen as well. This is just part of a complete stereo upgrade.

New head unit, amp, single sub in the trunk with custom sub box, new wiring, speakers... pretty much the whole she-bang.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
All of my stockers were fubar. I replaced the fronts with Roadmaster (found in Autozone) 4's, and the rears with Pioneer 5 1/2's

Very noticeable difference, especially with the Pioneer HU

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
the sound quality over 5.5 round speakers will be killer...now if you did an enclosure with the 6x9's you couldnt be happer.

heres my plan, itll look a little different, but atleast this way i have a place to mount the amp for the sub (still debating where to hide it and keep a spare tire) and it wont need to be moved just to put the top in and out

p1451480_1.jpg

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
there was a guy a few years back that molded them in the section under the triangle window in front of the back seats. i have pics somewhere of it, but it was posted on here at some point. i can dig them up if you are interested.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
dbsupra90;1451486 said:
there was a guy a few years back that molded them in the section under the triangle window in front of the back seats. i have pics somewhere of it, but it was posted on here at some point. i can dig them up if you are interested.

I would love to see pics of his set up. What I had originally planned to do won't work since there isn't as much space as I thought, so I am going to have to reconsider the options.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Poodles;1450943 said:
6x9's tend to not sound as good as a normal round speaker. They were used in GM cars for space reasons usually...

Poodles, can you explain this one a little bettter, I'm little lost on the G.M. space savings reason, in what way? My mother's Honda and my Solara has 9x6 speakers.:3d_frown:

StManTiS

Nov 11, 2009
Connecicut
Koenigturbo;1452937 said:
Poodles, can you explain this one a little bettter, I'm little lost on the G.M. space savings reason, in what way? My mother's Honda and my Solara has 9x6 speakers.:3d_frown:

they're not circular...hence less sound quality