6.5" and or 5 1/4" front speaker info

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
Bumping this up for anyone who has any questions or was looking for them..

Relief.. I was finally able to get more. Gonna try and do a group buy, but anyone who's interested can contact me before too.

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
got my pods. they are pretty sweet! I am shopping for speakers. has anyone used the DB6501s with these pods? (those are the component 6.5" polks). I have the DB501s in the rear and they fit awesome as per the recommendations here.

thanks for getting these made kevin!

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I have a set on the way as well. I am looking at some JBL, Polks, and other high quality speakers. I'm not sure if I want to go with regular coaxial speakers or component ones. I am also concerned with fitment and I wouldn't know where to mount the tweeter if I would get components. I never installed component speakers before and would not want to cut into the door panels or anything like that.

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
I'll try to get some pics of how I mounted my tweeters. I'd recommend either the triangles by the mirrors if the tweeter is small enough or by the driver itself (like factory) if the tweeter is large enough (since you don't want it over-powering the rest of the sound anyway)

EDIT - I'm not an expert by all means when it comes to car audio, but the current drivers/tweeters/x-over in my car were constructed by a good friend who has the ability and understanding to tune the components.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
KevinM;1982266 said:
I'll try to get some pics of how I mounted my tweeters. I'd recommend either the triangles by the mirrors if the tweeter is small enough or by the driver itself (like factory) if the tweeter is large enough (since you don't want it over-powering the rest of the sound anyway)

EDIT - I'm not an expert by all means when it comes to car audio, but the current drivers/tweeters/x-over in my car were constructed by a good friend who has the ability and understanding to tune the components.

I'm pretty sure all the sets I was looking at had 1" tweeters. Is it even worth it to run component speakers if I'm not running an amp? I will just be powering these straight off my Kenwood headunit.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Some component speakers have the crossover mounted on the 6 1/2" midrange, so all you have to do is plug the speaker connections to that, then plug the tweeter into the crossover connections.
The benefit of seperate tweeters, is to move the high frequencies up towards your ears to improve sound staging. If that's not an issue for you, don't worry about it.

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
supraguy@aol;1982696 said:
Some component speakers have the crossover mounted on the 6 1/2" midrange, so all you have to do is plug the speaker connections to that, then plug the tweeter into the crossover connections.
The benefit of seperate tweeters, is to move the high frequencies up towards your ears to improve sound staging. If that's not an issue for you, don't worry about it.

Those are called 2 way speakers, that's what I'm buying. I have big 4 way speakers in my truck and love the plug and play aspect. No bullshit crossovers lol

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
supraguy@aol;1982696 said:

Alright, I think I will just go with some regular speakers for now. I'm sure it will sound better that the 4" ones up front that I currently have.

Does anybody know if most 6.5" speakers fit into these depth wise without having to modify the door or door panel? Or do they need to be the shallow ones to fit correctly?

Brusilov

May 25, 2011
Sydney
Sweet. Time to upgrade!

So these will fit an 89 supra, just with a bunch of the 6.5" driver being blocked by the 4" opening?

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
Brusilov;1983655 said:
Sweet. Time to upgrade!

So these will fit an 89 supra, just with a bunch of the 6.5" driver being blocked by the 4" opening?

Some of it's covered, but there's the grill for the port below the opening as well. Still much better sound:

p1983824_1.jpg

p1983824_2.jpg