6.5" and or 5 1/4" front speaker info

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
I have been searching this topic extensively and I was not able to get all my questions answered. The audio section is closed, so I figured I would post this here. So here goes.

1. Can anyone clarify if the 6.5" speaker pods from kevin M or stock are enclosed or not? It sounds like the stock 6.5s are not enclosed, are the kevin M pods enclosed? ** ANSWER = they are both open to the door and use the door as the "enclosure"

2. What speakers fit best into the kevin M and stock enclosures and allow the use of the 91+ speaker grill cover?

3. I have a set of 91+ door panels from the TTR recaro interior I bought ages ago and I want to make sure if I go to 6.5" speakers these grills will fit and look 100% factory. *** will my pre 89 door panels allow the use of the 6.5" 91+ speaker grill? ** ANSWER = yes

4. Is anyone using the 5 1/4" speakers with the 4" front enclosures? If so what speakers and grills fit best?

thank you all for the info!

Last edited:

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
The factory pods and mine aren't much different. Open back, designed to use the door as the 'enclosure'.

Happy to say that after years of fighting to get more, I may actually have some in the next few weeks.. Time will tell

Fitment- the Boston's that you see are really good fitment.

Earlier year panels 'will' work, but you have to cut them open bigger and have to have the stamped backplate to rivet to it as well.

mine on top, stock on the bottom
p1977551_1.jpg

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
the man himself! can you comment on the grill fitment? I do have the larger 91+ grills and the backing ring they mount to so I *think I will be able to get the larger grills to work on my pre 89 door panels.

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
scottiedawg66;1977552 said:
the man himself! can you comment on the grill fitment? I do have the larger 91+ grills and the backing ring they mount to so I *think I will be able to get the larger grills to work on my pre 89 door panels.

They are technically the same door panels throughout all years. Once you compare, you can see that. The later years just have the stamped plate and larger grill. You can see on the 91+ panels that they just cut into the panels to create a larger opening, that's all - so grill fitment will be fine (same curves, etc). I'd really recommend seeing some 91+ ones first hand so you can get an idea of the modification. I'll try and get you a pic of the ones from my car though- that may be enough to see what I'm talking about.

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
i have a set of 91+ panels in my garage so don't sweat it! I was asking because I have not removed my current pre89 panels yet, but it sounds like i just open up the hole behind the grill and I am good to go. thank you for all the help! I look forward to a set of 6.5" pods!

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
scottiedawg66;1977555 said:
i have a set of 91+ panels in my garage so don't sweat it! I was asking because I have not removed my current pre89 panels yet, but it sounds like i just open up the hole behind the grill and I am good to go. thank you for all the help! I look forward to a set of 6.5" pods!

Yep, you're absolutely good to go then!

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
So is it possible to mount the 6.5" speakers and pods behind a stock pre 89 door panel and grill? Maybe if you go with a shallower speaker?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
IIRC, you can, it's just that part of the 6.5" cone will be below the peaker opeing, and blocked by the door panel.
And also as Kevin said, you have to cut some of the metal away.

PS- What do you mean the audio section is closed?
It's just that nobody's posted any new threads there lately. You have to set it, to show you threads older than a certain date.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I have the factory 6.5 inch speaker pods with aftermarket speakers with 1990 door panels. No modifications needed to the door panel and it still sounds great. Second best car ive heard... Best had about 1500 bucks dumped into the sound system.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Backlash2032;1977613 said:
I have the factory 6.5 inch speaker pods with aftermarket speakers with 1990 door panels. No modifications needed to the door panel and it still sounds great. Second best car ive heard... Best had about 1500 bucks dumped into the sound system.

Cool. The 90 door panels are the same as the 87 door panels correct?

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
Backlash2032;1977613 said:
I have the factory 6.5 inch speaker pods with aftermarket speakers with 1990 door panels. No modifications needed to the door panel and it still sounds great.

This is correct. I have pics somewhere, but the 91+ 6.5" pods fit fine behind the older door panels with no modification. Only if you want to run the larger grill do you have to open them up.

I swapped to 91 door panels myself, but wouldn't have an issue just keeping it factory for the year and putting the larger speakers behind then in the door.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Silver MK3;1977642 said:
Cool. The 90 door panels are the same as the 87 door panels correct?

Yes. Except for minor dress up things, all door panels for mk3 supras are exactly the same. From 89 on, they just made them look a little better. And then in 91 they opened up the speaker hole slightly for the 6.5s. Same exact door panels though.

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
supraguy@aol;1977683 said:
Kevin- you still have any of these pods?

Not at the moment, but have been working on getting more since the first buy. I've even now paid for more to be made knowing that people are still looking for them and was told that they've been produced. If all goes well, I will have more and get back to all the peeps who've been patiently waiting ..

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
Any chance they will be done before Christmas? I may have to get myself a little present.
Either way, I'll be picking up a set when they are available.

KevinM

Knowledge driven
Mar 30, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
AbsoluteSpeed;1977725 said:
Any chance they will be done before Christmas? I may have to get myself a little present.
Either way, I'll be picking up a set when they are available.

I wish I could say for sure. I'm trying to get them sent via air rather than boat which would help, just gotta pay the $$

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I would probably be interested in them as well now that I know that they will fit behind an 87 door panel without having to cut anything. Hopefully that would give a sound system that is more on par with what is found in new cars.