Alang

Nov 6, 2006
Las Vegas
5MGTE fuel injector non-pulse issue
TSRM FI-29 FI-41

Starts/runs with starting fluid
fuel pump pumping
This is what my research has found.
Is there anything else to check for non-pulsing injectors?

Igniter
EFI main relay #2 underhood near fusebox
EFI main relay #1 in the fuse box
Check all fuses and fusible links incl EFI IGN STOP ECU-IG
12 volt check on both ends of injector solenoid resistor (w/ignition sw on)
12 volt check on both pins of an injector connector (w/ignition sw on)
Harness grounds to the intake manifold between cyl 2&3 and the injector resistor on the strut tower
to tell if it's a short in the harness or ECU, unplug the ECU and see if either injector pin gets continuity to ground still.

Alang

Nov 6, 2006
Las Vegas
I'm saying that there is spark and fuel flowing but no running unless we spray starting fluid through a vacuum opening into the manifold.

What do you mean "injectors are in fact pulsing"????

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
In your thread title, you said the injectors are not pulsing. And I was thinking about other things beside your car. My bad.

The computer grounds the injectors in group series of the firing order. Battery power is constant to the injectors with the key in the on or crank position with the EFI system. See the wiring diagram. The computer grounds the injectors together during cranking, and provides the spark signal to the ignitor. You need to have battery power to the resistor, and out of it to the injectors. If you do, wiring is bad on the ground side. I do not think you need to look at the spark. It would not run, starting fluid or not, without the CPS signals and ignitor.

Last edited:

Alang

Nov 6, 2006
Las Vegas
Nick M;2016750 said:
In your thread title, you said the injectors are not pulsing. And I was thinking about other things beside your car. My bad.

The computer grounds the injectors in group series of the firing order. Battery power is constant to the injectors with the key in the on or crank position with the EFI system. See the wiring diagram. The computer grounds the injectors together during cranking, and provides the spark signal to the ignitor. You need to have battery power to the resistor, and out of it to the injectors. If you do, wiring is bad on the ground side. I do not think you need to look at the spark. It would not run, starting fluid or not, without the CPS signals and ignitor.

My list was just to show what research had pointed to for possibles.
At an informal local Toyota meet, a guy mentioned that he had experienced a similar problem and even though it would start it wouldn't run. Swapped out the ignitor and all OK. So it seems the ignitor can partly/inconsistently work/fail.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Rrfpr? Im not familiar.

Is it a spearco kit?

Have you verified that you actually have fuel pressure?

Alang

Nov 6, 2006
Las Vegas
hvyman;2016772 said:
Rrfpr? Im not familiar.

RRFPR = rising rate fuel pressure regulator

Is it a spearco kit?
Turbo is a 7mgte w/ manifold

Have you verified that you actually have fuel pressure?
Good question to double check that the Wrench actually did that.

Alang

Nov 6, 2006
Las Vegas
3p141592654;2016778 said:
Bad IGf could trigger fuel cut. But you will set a code. Have you checked? Doesn't seem likely it would run on starter fluid if the ignitor was bad though.

What's IGf?

I thought the same thing about the ignitor, but the guy was clear (although I don't know his expertise).
I know we typically think the ignitor goes bad - car goes dead, but there may be transitions or side effects that indicate that it may be going bad. Electrical is not my thing though. I do recall that the car was not running very sharp/responsive before it was parked and this no start issue developed after being parked for a lengthy period.