57trim woes.. in need of experienced wisdom

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
why or how the hell could the holes or port be so off if it's just a media blasted ct26? you think they used an aftermarket (non oem) housing and it's not built to spec?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Who know's ring Aaron and ask him.

I'm at a loss to understand why you haven't done this already as he's the man responsible.

I've PM'd Aaron directing him to this thread.

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
well you know how it is with people pointing fingers at shops, especially reputable ones that are tyring to work with you... i just didnt want to look like a fool if i were doing something foolish and blaming someone else..

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
It's NOT pointing fingers if you have an issue to ring them and ask their advice.

I think it does more damage to a shops reputation starting a thread like this instead of giving them the chance to address the issue as it may just be something simple that could have been sorted in minutes.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Zambini - My apologies...this guy is getting my attention from a mod perspective. Will the oil drain line fit right on the hole in question?

BLACKCAT

May 24, 2007
BHG
Yes it certainly is dissapointing to send of something that fits well only to get it back out of alignment & made even worse by having to pay someone for the frustration.
My upgraded CT lasted less than a week so I know how you feel.:3d_frown:
Personally I would just extend the holes in the hard lines until it matches & sits square.
Its only a few mm & there is enough material there to do it.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I told you the first time you sent the turbo back that it had tons of shaftplay (ruined bearings) yet no oil in the bearing housing or exhaust housing, it was dry! If the turbo doesn't get any oil, it's going to last about what it did the first and second time you put our upgraded turbo on. You never said anything about the coolant pipe, yet this thread is all about it. I am not going to rebuild it the third time for free, sorry dude. You know why the bearing housing was slightly different, because yours was ruined and unusable from lack of oil going to it....do you pay extra for that replacement housing? No.

If you can't find the problem, then I don't want to send you another turbo and waste both our time and money. You know the second rebuild did have a cost involved for us, but it was free for you, right? It's not like I didn't take care of you once already even though we knew it wasn't our fault. If you want to go for round three, send it back and pay for the parts and some labor this time, but I will give you a good discount.

It looks to me like you just figured out a way to blame me for something with that coolant pipe that didn't fit. I talked to you on the phone for a long time more then once, and I nicely explained everything in detail several times, but not once have you said anything about that coolant pipe issue.

[start rant] :icon_bigg
(no, this is not all about the origional poster, but I guess it's a good place to bring this up)

Consider this, if you have a problem that killed the turbo you are sending in, and you put the rebuilt turbo back on the same exact setup, obviously the new turbo is going to get trashed, RIGHT? People always want to assume that the problem lies with the part that someone else will pay to fix!

Of the very few warranty turbos we get back, you should see the stuff people do to them, yet of course we get blamed for it every time. Silicone sealant in the bearing housing, no oil at all getting to the turbo, pinched oil feed/return lines, pcv systems bypassed or plumbed wrong, engines rebuilt without cleaning the oil passages and the metal shavings go right in the tubo, egt's so high that the wastegate port starts melting..... I've seen it all and they all swear up and down that they did everything right. Funny thing is, we have never denied a CT26 warranty, even when we knew it was their fault! Some people think that being ignorant about what can damage a turbo is a coupon for a free CT26 rebuild! You don't know how many times someone had a completely trashed bearing housing, or bad exhaust housing, or bad exhaust wheel, or bad actuator, and we replaced it with a good one AT NO EXTRA CHARGE! We do that so often for people that I forget to tell them about it sometimes! We have rebuilt and/or sold over 300 ct26 turbos at this point, and we stand behind our stuff. It doesn't take making a thread to put us on the hot seat to get good customer service! If anything I am less likely to help when someone is out to make me look bad!

[end rant]

You know I love you guys, I really try to do my best for you all the time! Thank you very much to the people who are the voice of reason around here!

Last edited:

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
i let myself cool down a bit before responding here.

to aaron:

bigaaron;1382537 said:
I told you the first time you sent the turbo back that it had tons of shaftplay (ruined bearings) yet no oil in the bearing housing or exhaust housing, it was dry!

right, and i couldnt find any evidence of oil blockage, but as i've said, im going to try the method you and mdc have suggested to check for oil flow before i run this turbo.

bigaaron;1382537 said:
If the turbo doesn't get any oil, it's going to last about what it did the first and second time you put our upgraded turbo on.

i HAVENT installed the turbo yet. i have only installed the turbo ONCE. you may be refferring to my original turbo, which i sent in because it had chipped fins. the shaft play was NOT excessive, and the turbo was 19 years old. the original turbo never officially died. the re-rebuilt turbo is still tip top, bearing wise.. its only the coolant housing and lines that are a problem at this point. i am trying to KEEP from killing it. thats the point of this thread.

bigaaron;1382537 said:
You never said anything about the coolant pipe, yet this thread is all about it.

perhaps i should have asked you about it first. i started this thread when i realized this MAY be the issue, because to date its the only thing i can find thats really a problem with my turbo system. it was NOT a problem with my turbo system before i received the rebuilt turbo, and my old turbo never died. why is this housing defective?

bigaaron;1382537 said:
You know the second rebuild did have a cost involved for us, but it was free for you, right? It's not like I didn't take care of you once already even though we knew it wasn't our fault. If you want to go for round three, send it back and pay for the parts and some labor this time, but I will give you a good discount.

right, and as i have said, you guys have been good to me. i do realize there was cost involved, and i appreciate you working with me. but what is up with this housing?

bigaaron;1382537 said:
It looks to me like you just figured out a way to blame me for something with that coolant pipe that didn't fit.

no, it's not the coolant pipe that doesnt fit. i got a new coolant pipe aaron. its two coolant pipes that dont fit. or rather, its the turbo that doesnt fit the coolant pipes. whats wrong with this housing?

when i started this thread i did not set out to disparage your shop. i know you have worked with me and done me a favor by rebuilding the turbo, and everyone who views this thread should read those words just like theyre reading the rest of them if they feel inclined to form an opinion of driftmotion based on the words i've typed in this thread.

i posted this thread to ask the opinion of a community of people more knowledgeable and experienced than myself so that i could resolve a personal situation between my supra and myself. i apologize for any slander of your shop that has taken place here.

but if youre no longer willing to work with me, and who can blame either of us, then i still have to resolve this issue. you may from here on out forget about me, but at the end of the day, in louisville kentucky, my supra and myself still exist, and so does the issue of this housing not fitting the oem coolant lines.

peace man.

to jdub: yes, everything else that bolts to the turbo bolts up fine

to anyone: i had my dad check out my situation today. he told me he is willing to try to grind out the housing so that the coolant lines clear the housing. he has been a tool and dye maker for 40 years. about 3-5 mm of material is going to need to be taken out in the problem area for the lines to clear into the coolant port and still fit the studs. if we can mask off the coolant passages from the inside so that no shavings make their way into them, do you guys think that this is a plausible idea? im definitely reluctant to try it but i trust my fathers machining abilities. the gasket will still be able to seal the port and it's an official gasket, not a cheap paper one. should i go this route? what else can i do?

aaron

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
3p:

nope, the studs wont line up if the flange is rotated 180 degrees.

look at this:

p1385309_1.jpg

this is the blockoff plate side with the studs still inserted. this is a toyota gasket that is specifically designed to follow the contour of the entire gasket surface. notice how it sits perfectly against the edges.

p1385309_2.jpg

this is the coolant line side with the gasket sitting perfectly against the edges of the gasket surface, just as it sits in the other picture. what this tells me is that the actual port has been machined accurately, as it looks to sit inside the hole in the gasket pretty much the same way it does on the other (blockoff plate) side of the turbo... what ISNT right is where the holes for the studs have been drilled. theyre most definitely off center.

p1385309_3.jpg

look at how close the stud hole closest to the camera is to the coolant port. it's not supposed to be there..

SO, my latest revelation here is that im looking at a manufacturer's defect in the housing, which as long as driftmotion doesnt machine their own housings, CLEARS THEIR NAME FROM BLAME. driftmotion's rebuild job is probably just fine, though the manufacturing of this housing is not.

im going to be calling aaron from dm shortly to ask him where this housing is from and what i can do about this.. just wanted to get these images online so that he can take a look at them.

Last edited:

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
That last pic may have solved the problem. Could it be a CT26 from a Landcruiser
check the lower left pic closely
5945830.jpg

Vehicle: Apply to TOYOTA LANDCRUISER
Engine Details: 1HD 4.2L
Turbo Model: EM-CT26

or from a - CT26 2.0L 3SGTE Celica
(haven't found a pic)

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
the stud holes still look more evenly spaced there.. theyre in the center of the area they are drilled into. my holes are offset. waiting on a call back...

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
well i have a housing off the gfs 88 and the water passage hole is more centered.. the stud on cold side .. the one closesest to the oil drain supply lookes to be about 4- 5 mm away from the water passage. and about the same on the other stud.. i will take apic later and post .. cam battersies dead .. charging now

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
well i owe it to driftmotion and everyone here to mention that the shop agreed that the housing was defective. they told me theyre sending me an entire new trubocharger assembly and im sending that one back to them... good riddance haha. so cheers to driftmotion for working with me through all of this shit.

on a personal note, im sadly now leaving for cleveland again and my summer break from college is over, so my summer supra plans never happened and my fall supra plans wont exist. fuck my car has been on jack stands for a year now and will probably be there for another. :fuck:

This sounds like a correct answer. It is not hard for an inexperienced rebuilder to get the center section installed incorrectly regarding rotation, as the V band and snap ring which holds the center section into the compressor housing allow incorrect assembly.

Got my 57 built by Perfomance Techniques, no problems.

BernieK

3p141592654;1380498 said:
I'm no turbo expert, but it seems possible that it is clocked wrong and that is causing the ports to not be aligned right.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
berniek;1386775 said:
This sounds like a correct answer. It is not hard for an inexperienced rebuilder to get the center section installed incorrectly regarding rotation, as the V band and snap ring which holds the center section into the compressor housing allow incorrect assembly.

Got my 57 built by Perfomance Techniques, no problems.

BernieK

Bernie.

If you don't know,

DO NOT POST.

Guys and gals, I promise you - if you continue posting in technical threads, and you don't know what you are talking about, most likely a ban hammer will come chasing you.

This isn't a threat.

This is one guy trying to weed out BS information that some of us members try so hard to keep out of the community.

Its like a cancer. It spreads.

If you don't know....

DO NOT POST.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Aren't the CT26 housings dowl pinned so it can only assemble one way?
(the couple I've looked at have been)

Only explanation I can think of is it's a CHRA for another vehicle.

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
MDCmotorsports;1386795 said:
This is TWO GUYS trying to weed out BS information that some of us members try so hard to keep out of the community.
DO NOT POST.

i think ive been fair here in not taking too much to heart.. thanks for your mini writeup for real.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
IJ.;1386814 said:
Aren't the CT26 housings dowl pinned so it can only assemble one way?
(the couple I've looked at have been)

Only explanation I can think of is it's a CHRA for another vehicle.

Ian,
Not only are they pinned so you can't get them wrong, if you get a ct20/26 from a celica or mr2, you can always make sure they are oriented right:

The oil feed & oil return are on the same flange surface. There is no possible way you can get this 180 deg off. You would not be able to attach the oil feed / return line & flange if the bearing housing was rotated.