500 rwhp on stock headgasket and bolts.

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
Here is a video, shot Saturday of Willie's 91 MKIII. This car has been on this setup for over 3 years now. The headgasket was replaced by Toyota at 46,000 under warranty and I checked the head bolts 3 years ago and they are torqued to 75 ft/lbs. The engine now has 102,000 miles on it and had 96,000 on it when I put the turbo kit on. The turbo is a PT67 with a .68 a/r and the car has 3 inch exhaust. The injectors are 680's with a single Walbro. Fuel is controlled by a VPC/ AFC combo with an adjustable fuel psi regulator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_8CIbmKGJY&feature=channel

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The headgasket would fail for only a few reasons, and believe it or not, 500 hp on a good tune isn't one of them.

If you lean it out, and have partial detonation, you could deform it. But that isn't the gaskets fault. The other way is over heat it, and with dissimilar metals, it would peel the gasket just like a bimetalic switch.

When Toyota did the repair, the block and head were decked flat. What a difference that makes. Then it doesn't have to be redo 4 times over.

Well done.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Nick M;1311337 said:
The headgasket would fail for only a few reasons, and believe it or not, 500 hp on a good tune isn't one of them.

If you lean it out, and have partial detonation, you could deform it. But that isn't the gaskets fault. The other way is over heat it, and with dissimilar metals, it would peel the gasket just like a bimetalic switch.

Nick is 100% correct here. The only concern you have with the stock gaskets at your level is there is just about zero margin for error.

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
X-man;1311281 said:
Here is a video, shot Saturday of Willie's 91 MKIII. This car has been on this setup for over 3 years now. The headgasket was replaced by Toyota at 46,000 under warranty and I checked the head bolts 3 years ago and they are torqued to 75 psi. The engine now has 102,000 miles on it and had 96,000 on it when I put the turbo kit on. The turbo is a PT67 with a .68 a/r and the car has 3 inch exhaust. The injectors are 680's with a single Walbro. Fuel is controlled by a VPC/ AFC combo with an adjustable fuel psi regulator.

lol. thats why it never blew again. 75 psi

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
Nick M;1311337 said:

When Toyota did the repair, the block and head were decked flat. What a difference that makes. Then it doesn't have to be redo 4 times over.

Well done.

how do you know that?

i doubt they pulled the motor. then tore it down. machine the deck then reassembled it. :nono: i find that hard to believe. i'm sure they decked the head and maybe even got a valve job done at the machine shop. but i haven't heard of ANY dealership tearing a motor down for a hg job. i want to hear what you guys have to say or where you got that fact.

X-man. another great example of how the 7m is a solid motor when worked on by someone who know what they're doing. even with the "horrible stock hg" that we hear all the time. LOL.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
black89t;1311406 said:
how do you know that?

i doubt they pulled the motor. then tore it down. machine the deck then reassembled it. :nono: i find that hard to believe. i'm sure they decked the head and maybe even got a valve job done at the machine shop. but i haven't heard of ANY dealership tearing a motor down for a hg job. i want to hear what you guys have to say or where you got that fact.

X-man. another great example of how the 7m is a solid motor when worked on by someone who know what they're doing. even with the "horrible stock hg" that we hear all the time. LOL.

QFT

So does cylinder pressure have no affect on the stock head gasket at all?

queenskid926

Tires yeling @ every Lite
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
nice xman, you guys seem to be pushing the limit of the 7m stock to show what its really made off. I always was curious to see what a new stock headgasket replaced correctly will hold. I guess now i know. Thanks you guys for sharing this info.

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
Seeing this makes me much more comfortable with my power goals. Just not sure on the life of the engine under a decent amount of abuse..

Yblegal91t

it finally runs!
Apr 22, 2006
C1 outer
good job guys. and it does sound good.

proof of the 3 years its ran at those levels. tahts hard to believe with a 7m. :aigo:
but then again. I've never ran the car for longer than a year and was only making about 260 to the wheels. So what would I know.

congrats and makes me feel a little better with this engine

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
Yet again more proof that the 7M isn't the boat anchor lots of people claim it to be. Just goes to show that if you bolt it together properly and tune it right it will perform and last.

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
SC Rydah;1311950 said:
Looks damn good though. How often do you drive it?

I was driving it three times a week, but I only live 8 miles from work. Willie drives it a couple times a week as he works out of town and then he and I live 100 miles apart.

Sean