400hp or bust

TheMechanic253

Aug 11, 2014
Puyallup
Hello! I am new to Supra Mania but I frequent other car forums for my other vehicles. I just picked up a 1990 Supra Turbo. I paid $1200 for this car and bought it from a buddy of mine that recently rebuilt the engine, then when he went to start it, blew a head gasket.

I have experience working on engines. I built a 12.5:1 Compression Honda engine in my daily driver, but I'm a grease monkey and couldn't pass up this car for the price.

I will be posting up more pictures as I get under way with my build. I already pulled the engine and disassembled it, I'm awaiting a call back from the machine shop about the conditions of my parts.

The cylinder head is cracked near the coolant jackets on cyl. 2,3,4. I figure Ill end up buying another cylinder head soon.

Well cheers!

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
IndigoMKII;2020210 said:
What engine? 400 hp can be made fairly easily.

Really?? Right now I have an Apexi Intake, full 3" DM downpipe and exhaust along with (not yet installed) RX7 550cc injectors and a Lexus afm. I'm on the stock ct26 with a Grimmspeed Mbc set to 10-11psi.

If I install my lex/550s how much Hp could I be around??

TheMechanic253

Aug 11, 2014
Puyallup
I've read that the stock fuel pump is capable of 500hp. I will get a walbro, but I've heard people do it. Also I am looking for some Lexus 550cc injectors. Does anyone recommend larger cc's for 400hp?

It is a stock bore 7mgte. The previous owner had the block honed, bought new piston rings, bearings, shimmed oil pump, new water pump, timing belt etc. The machine shop told me that he would certainly run the crank that was in it. It's slightly on the looser side of spec, but it was polished and cleaned recently.

I just bought new ARP Head studs. The dude built it with ARP bolts! :3d_frown:

The guy at the machine shop said he's done work on over 20 7mgte's for some local Toyota speed shop. Buds Machine in Lakewood, WA. He's been around for years. He says you should see the 2J I'm building for a customer!

I havent taken any measurements of the turbo yet, but the hot side A/R. is .63 with a .60 compressor. He bought an ebay t4 turbo manifold to fit the external waste gate and a t3/t4 adapter plate to bolt the turbo to the manifold. Snubby little dump tube. Maybe recirculate? I like quiet exhaust that shit looks crazy.

Well since its a 10 or '89 I won't need emissions testing. Maybe flames under my car will be sweet....

Stock floppy intercooler piping and intercooler, (NEEDS NEW)

Car came with ST suspension sway bars, racing bucket seats, Triple core Megan racing radiator, full silicone hose kit, Large external oil cooler with braided lines, 17" Enkei OR52 wheels.

The entire car was full of parts including 3 pairs of valve covers, 2 alternators, 2 complete intake manifolds, parts up the ying yang. (FS SOON)

I plan on running the car on MAFTPro in speed density mode. The first car I built was a Honda and I understand how to tune LoadxRPM so I would like to stick to it.

I also plan on raising the static compression closer to 9:1 rather than measly 8.4:1 stock. I enjoy the drive ability of my all motor car and I'm shooting for lots of area under the curve. I'm hoping to make 400whp at <16psi.

TheMechanic253

Aug 11, 2014
Puyallup

This is my daily. I built a 12.5:1 1.6L SOHC VTEC engine. The power out put was 165whp 125tq on a Dyno Dynamics machine. It makes plenty torque for city driving, and it's tuned slightly lean for freeway, low load cruising. I get 46mpg at about 15.3-15.9 AFR at 65mph.

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Looks like a great bargain.
Yeah, 550's should cover you to 400whp max. I have the maft pro and am in the process of tuning it. I used to have the maft basic for 7yrs in blow thru mode and loved it- not a single hiccup.
Thing is- You don't want "Lexus 550's". It's called the Lex/ 550 upgrade, because you use 550cc RC/FIC or Evo injectors, with a Lexus afm. Lexus doesn't even use 550cc injectors in any of their cars.
But since you're going maft pro, you can pic any size injector you want- 550's, 680's, 750's, etc. Because you don't have to match them to a Lexus afm. You just need to change the mainscale on the maft pro with a single click.
I use 680cc Denso injectors myself. And if you find some, I'd recommend them, because then you don't have to splice new plugs onto the engine harness, they're plug&play. Part #1001-87650. Read this short thread about them.
I think I'm the only guy ever to use them in a 7M.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...Cat-injectors-in-a-supra&highlight=arctic+cat

TheMechanic253

Aug 11, 2014
Puyallup
Ok Lex gotcha. I have a Lexus 1uz AFM that he was using to run the car. I think I'll buy a larger injector so I can ad boost later if I am not satisfied with 400hp.

Denso makes a lot of sensors and parts for Honda's. I believe my MAP sensor, TPS, and IACV (Idle air control valve) is a Denso.

Also, I'm kind of into "tucking" engine bays and whatnot. I see that they are low impedence and I am looking to get rid of my resistor box.

TheMechanic253

Aug 11, 2014
Puyallup
So I got a call from the machine shop today confirming that the cylinder head leaks terribly when pressure tested. Too bad my buddy paid 750 bucks for a machine shop to give him a fucked up cylinder head. Ill post pictures when I get the parts back. How much to 7mgte cylinder heads sell for? I found a bare casting (does include cam caps) for $150.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
7m heads go for free to a few hundred. depends on condition.

bare as in no valve or anything that sounds expensive as stock valves and springs arent even really worth anything.

and if it didnt come with caps its trash.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
TheMechanic253;2020403 said:
So I got a call from the machine shop today confirming that the cylinder head leaks terribly when pressure tested. Too bad my buddy paid 750 bucks for a machine shop to give him a fucked up cylinder head. Ill post pictures when I get the parts back. How much to 7mgte cylinder heads sell for? I found a bare casting (does include cam caps) for $150.

If you have all the other hardware to re-use (valves, buckets, shims, etc...) that's not terrible. My machine shop charged $100 for a head they had lying around. It wasn't clean, but it was tested good and I was having them clean and do a valve job anyways.

If you can, have it hardness tested. I haven't found a machine shop that can hardness test in house, but if you can, that would be ideal. If the head has any helicoils, avoid it. Stripped threads are a symptom of a bonehead owner over-torqueing or a soft head. Both are bad.

TheMechanic253

Aug 11, 2014
Puyallup
I really appreciate your input. I like that people on this website actually steer you in the right direction rather than trolling. The head that I have is complete, as it was installed on the car ready to run. IF I can swap the parts to a new casting, that would be ideal.

Can't wait to get this thing reassembled.

TheMechanic253

Aug 11, 2014
Puyallup
I contacted someone on Craigslist with a Supra for sale asking if he had any spare parts. I drove to Kirkland, WA tonight (about a 45 min drive North) and paid $80 for a core head, intake manifold, throttle bracket, fuel rail and cold start injector.

Hauled that bitch home in my Civic haha.

The exhaust has a few heli coils, but I plan on helicoiling all of the stud holes. It's pretty dirty, but I believe my machine shop should have no problem restoring it to great shape.

The guy I bought it from was really cool! He said if the head is bad I could have my money back. I couldn't believe that he offered that. Wish more people were like that! Most people on Craigslist are scammers, so it was nice to meet a fellow enthusiast that didn't mind helping me out. Hell I even make him some more garage space :)

TheMechanic253

Aug 11, 2014
Puyallup

SO there she sits. Fairly clean car for its age. Minor dent on the hood. I think on on the passenger side quarter panel. Wheels and tires are nice but I would prefer quality suspension over these cut springs and front ebay lowering springs.

You can tell that the engine was freshly built while taking it apart. I couldn't believe how much orange RTV I scraped off of the bitch.

Needs tucked real bad.

^^ This is when oil mixes with coolant kids.

Glad he used a name brand clutch. -_-

Any one know how well these flywheels hold up? It's XTD brand but this car did not come with a stock one and this one was installed then never driven on.

Everything looks freshly machine. Rods were re sized and weighed.

Haha I measured the mouth and its 3 inches. The exhaust flange is 2.5 inch. Im thinking about a flare to 3 inch somewhere in there. has anyone used this method to help spool the turbo faster? Im just trying to use the pieces that I already have.

There she is! Just needs to be cleaned. That nasty oil/coolant was just slick enough to save the crank. It still looks smooth as it was polished before the build. My machinist looked at it and said he would run it.

^^^ ENOUGH RTV???????????

More pics soon.

Skeezix

Supradope
Dec 30, 2009
Regina, SK
Your 400 hp should easily be achievable. I pulled out 320 at the wheels on a stock tune with only exhaust and intercooler done. Was also hitting fuel cut at like 4500rpm and 3/4 throttle so there is tons of potential there

TheMechanic253

Aug 11, 2014
Puyallup

I got these wheels and a bunch of other Acura parts for $75 bucks. They are 17x7 +45. Think I could run them with spacers and extended studs? I think they sort of look like Ferrari wheels!

Called machinist today. Head passed pressure test!