3s-gte in an mk3

HyRisk

Drifting since ∞
Sep 26, 2005
Yay Area
I've searched and didnt come up with much. So, dont flame if its been talked before. Anyways. Well, first of all, dont ask why. Im just thinking its possible to do it...if an mk4 can do it, and we can drop in a 1 and 2jz into our cars, then why not try out a 3s-gte. Im surprised that it hasnt been done before considering that we've even had a v8 1uz. Heck, we even an ls1 project going on right now. Bah! None evers dropped in a four banger? Its a good reliable engine that can hold a crap load of boost.

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
problem would be the transmission and rear end. i dont think there is any option other than custom to get a r154 to mate up to it. on top of that if you swap trannies you may need custom rear end gearing to make it work.

any mk4 with a 3sgte in them that i can think of were shop cars (top secret did one iirc) or the older jgtc cars, which now run toyota v-8's if memory serves.

not really worth it unless you are going for a super light full blown race car with custom drivetrain.

just my 2 cents...

LexusTech117

Sep 4, 2005
Pullman Washington
geocities.com
stanzaspeed said:
not really worth it unless you are going for a super light full blown race car with custom drivetrain.

What he said :)

I'd rather have super light full blown race car Mk3 with an aluminum twin turbo V8 in it though... not a four banger. And yes I know the weight of the TT V8 would make it a couple hundred pounds heavier than your 3SGTE but damn I'd waste you down the straight :)

Leave the 3SGTE in the MR2's

-Dave

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
Ive read somewhere sometime ago, i believe topsecret put a 3sgte in a supra.The main reasoning is u can get closer to the ideal 50/50 weight distibution.I believe they could also tune the motor for a 1000hp for drags and 600hp for the track to maintiain reliability.I hate to keep shooting in the dark from memory with this, but i also believe they made a motor mount kit just for this occasion. I really wish i could remember where i found this at, it was good reading. Try google if u havent already

koulee

Oct 11, 2005
Yeah, like they said: the main problem is the 3sgte is mated directly to the tranny.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
You can get the parts very easily to bolt a 3S-GTE to a W58.

Having looked into the extensively for my AE86, I can tell you a lot of what you need to know, but I don't think it's a great idea for an MA70. If you'd like I can find my information again though.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Even more of a possibility into an RA64/RA65 Celica. The 83 Celica (SA63) in Europe/Japan came with the 2S engine, as such the bellhousing, flywheel, motor brackets, oil pan, etc are all available to bolt a 3S-GTE right into one of them.

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
you are giving me ideas i shouldnt have with the little amount of money i have at the moment, jeff. :biglaugh:

HyRisk

Drifting since ∞
Sep 26, 2005
Yay Area
Jeff Lange said:
You can get the parts very easily to bolt a 3S-GTE to a W58.

Having looked into the extensively for my AE86, I can tell you a lot of what you need to know, but I don't think it's a great idea for an MA70. If you'd like I can find my information again though.

If you can please get some information it would be very helpful. This idea is still lingering, so I wont reject it until I finish my research. For now, a 1jz seems very practical. As for a v8, I dont care really care too much about going fast in a straight line, I'm looking more into the weigh ratio, torque, being unique, and smoking someone on a corner.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
yes toyota uaes the 3sgte motor in there supra' the 2j great drag motor but crap for raceing when the 3sgte is light and can do 400 plus hp

now as for bolting it up the prob is the starter it's ont eh wroung side

so cusotm bellhosueing is the onyl thing holding it back

there are 2 place's i know that make custom bellhosuing's for the 3sgte that amte to r154 or w58

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
HyRisk said:
If you can please get some information it would be very helpful. This idea is still lingering, so I wont reject it until I finish my research. For now, a 1jz seems very practical. As for a v8, I dont care really care too much about going fast in a straight line, I'm looking more into the weigh ratio, torque, being unique, and smoking someone on a corner.

Weight Distribution: It's already pretty good at 52/48 out of the box. Swapping the 3SGTE would probably impove that to 51/49 (3S weighs 30kg less), leaving you with another ~40 kg to remove from the front to make it perfect. Considering real world driving, I'd bet that'd it be tough to distinguish one from the other.

Torque: Goes to the 7M hands down. 254 @ 3200 vs 2000 @ 6000. A 3SGTE pushing a 3600 car will NOT be happy.

Unique: Yes a 3S Supra would be unique, doesn't make it a good idea. How about Chevy 4.2 Vortec? Inline 6, DOHC, 270 hp, etc. Plus it can be made to bolt to the R154. A 5.9L Cummins Diesel would be VERY unique. THAT would be a torquey engine. Wanna stick with Toyota? A 1mz has similar power characteristics to a 7m but is 20 kg LIGHTER than 3S and 50kg lighter than the 7M.

Smokin' people in corners: Wrong car for that. Try a Miata.

davidtt87

Smaat Noob
Apr 4, 2005
Pembroke NH
im gunna agree, i never thought having a 4 cyl would hinder me while driving a ranger, but when ever i take it off road and put any kind of serious load on it, i need to slip the clutch like crazy. i say its gunna be kool looking but shitty as hell to try and take off in.

tubbie

Yes, powerful Jedi....
Apr 4, 2005
Hoschton, GA
Go for it.......... flaming you now, but everybody will love you after you do it and make 600hp ... :bigthumb:

davidtt87

Smaat Noob
Apr 4, 2005
Pembroke NH
he can have all the horsepower he wants but not having enough torque will make it worse than driving a honda, think of how much a stock mk3 weighs and why the 1g didnt appeal to the public and didnt become popular for this very reason. i say if he can overcome the weight aspect by A) stripping it or B) making the turbo spool up quickly, limiting his top end and hp numbers. than just than he'll enjoy driving this alot more than if he just slapped a 3s in and went for alot of horsepower.