2jz-gte Swap to 1990 7m-ge

tsals

Jan 9, 2010
nothern VA
I have been reading feeds on several forums about the parts needed for the 2jz into a 90 7m-ge can some one confirm the parts i need. add or remove if needed.

2jz-gte, single turbo manifold, turbo, FMIC, FMIC Piping, 1jz mounts, Electric fans (wired to be on all times the car is on) 1jz bellhousing, 550cc injectors, 255 gph fuel pump, USDM 2jz ecu, 1jz flywheel, upgraded 7m clutch and Pressure plate, 1jz Arp flywheel bolts, Custom Downpipe (would mount to 7m exhaust), BOV, 2jz & 1jz harnesses to switch some connectors on the engine side,

Will more then likely run an APEX'i AVC-R, SAFC, and Turbo Timer, Probably a new aluminum radiator.

Is there a company that makes FMIC kits for the 2jz in a mkiii. would make it much easier then having it all custom made. What issues will i run into with the factory gauges. i know ill need a boost gauge and probably and EGT, any others recommended or needed?

Any help is appreciated.

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
Look out on JZA70 FMIC kits. Will fit ok into your MA70...
Factory gauges should work fine. Just get a 7M-GTE oil pressure sender unit
and tap it into the 2jzgte. I got a sandwich plate between the oil filter to get
ports for my gauges. One oil pressure sensor for the stock gauge cluster
& one for my DEFI oil pressure unit and another DEFI oil temperature sensor.

tsals

Jan 9, 2010
nothern VA
Well i guess the fmic kit is out of the question. bought a 24x12x3 intercooler today. after pricing out most things including engine, bellhousing, stage 4 clutch lightened flywheel, single turbo, manifold, 700cc injectors, fuel pump, fuel rail, bov, wastegate, piping, exhaust, and everything to go with it im looking at 5000$ but should be able to put down around 500 HP. Sound about right?

tsals

Jan 9, 2010
nothern VA
with the w58 do i still need the 1jz bellhousing, 1jz flywheel and 1jz flywheel bolts like with the r154? if not is there anything i need for this tranny to fit the 2jz?

1jzMoe

Supramania Contributor
Apr 2, 2005
Vilseck, Germany, Germany
The stock twins will work, but a single fits a lot better. you don't need a USDM ECU as the JDM ECU will work and uses a MAP sensor versus the AFM on the USDM ECU, If you use a USDM ECU i believe you will need a USDM harness of modify the JDM harness. As far as parts you will need visit here http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66984
You don't want your electric fans running all the time!
Why do you want a 1jz harness to switch connectors on the engine side? all you should need is your original 7m harness and your 2jz harness.

tsals

Jan 9, 2010
nothern VA
1jzMoe;1497490 said:
The stock twins will work, but a single fits a lot better. you don't need a USDM ECU as the JDM ECU will work and uses a MAP sensor versus the AFM on the USDM ECU, If you use a USDM ECU i believe you will need a USDM harness of modify the JDM harness. As far as parts you will need visit here http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66984
You don't want your electric fans running all the time!
Why do you want a 1jz harness to switch connectors on the engine side? all you should need is your original 7m harness and your 2jz harness.

i had no plan of keeping the stock twins. as for the rest of the stuff thats all stuff that i had read on here and other forums. the main thing im looking to get info on now is what i need to do to get the w58 to fit the 2jz-gte.

tsals

Jan 9, 2010
nothern VA
Boosted516;1498360 said:
if you dont plan on keeping the stock twins why would u consider keeping the w58?

1. i dont see the reason in spending a couple thousand on a getrag 6spd.
and
2. theres nothing wrong with it.

tsals

Jan 9, 2010
nothern VA
91 mK3;1498387 said:
i think you should atleast do a r-154. believe it holds more power than the w58

ok well ill look into that then. any idea on prices or where is a good place to get one that will be reliable?

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I would strongly urge going with a R154 at the very least, the W58 isn't built the same as a R154 and can not hold the same power levels as the R not for long anyways.

If you look at the TSRM cutaway pics of both transmissions it's pretty clear why. R154's can be had for reasonable dollor and at this point you have plenty of time to keep and eye out for one while you attend to many other points to be taken care of along the way.

I'm not even totally sure you can fit a 1jz bellhousing to a w58 at all actually. But the 1JZ bell housing fit's slick as snot to the R154 and 2jz.

If you have any questions along the way I'll help ya out if I can. Make a build thread too!

Good luck and it's alot of work, but fun work!

tsals

Jan 9, 2010
nothern VA
Flateric;1498394 said:
I would strongly urge going with a R154 at the very least, the W58 isn't built the same as a R154 and can not hold the same power levels as the R not for long anyways.

If you look at the TSRM cutaway pics of both transmissions it's pretty clear why. R154's can be had for reasonable dollor and at this point you have plenty of time to keep and eye out for one while you attend to many other points to be taken care of along the way.

I'm not even totally sure you can fit a 1jz bellhousing to a w58 at all actually. But the 1JZ bell housing fit's slick as snot to the R154 and 2jz.

If you have any questions along the way I'll help ya out if I can. Make a build thread too!

Good luck and it's alot of work, but fun work!

Thanks for the info. thats what i originally thought of. i am slowly buying the parts right now, waiting for my taxes to come in to get the motor and the bulk of the parts. just looking for a reputable place to get the tranny from. ive already priced out most other parts from driftmotion.com and looking around at other things as well. where should i make the build thread?

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Oh, I almost forgot, ya, intake manifolds will fit the MA70, some better than others, there are a few guys here in the forums that make a pretty decent one at a more than fair price.

Any name brand ones from overseas are a VERY tight fit. I managed to fit a Vielside intake on mine but it was a serious pain. But then I kinda like that it wasn't done by anyone else at the time up until recently. Now I know of 2 others that managed it.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
tsals;1498398 said:
Thanks for the info. thats what i originally thought of. i am slowly buying the parts right now, waiting for my taxes to come in to get the motor and the bulk of the parts. just looking for a reputable place to get the tranny from. ive already priced out most other parts from driftmotion.com and looking around at other things as well. where should i make the build thread?

You could always buy a tranny rebuild kit from DM and while your at it add on the Marlin Crawler upgrades for that little extra bit more toughening. And that would open your options furthre for finding a tranny easy and having piece of mind that it is "done" as good as can be.

There is a build thread section here. Also stop by Flashchat in the evenings, you'll catch me there and a bunch of decent guys who will all generally talk your ear of and shoot the sh*t with ya. Always welcome more people.

tsals

Jan 9, 2010
nothern VA
i tried to join the chat a couple of times but it doesnt seem to ever do anything. is there a certain time you guys get on there?

Boosted516

Supramano
Apr 13, 2008
Long Island, NY
tsals;1498363 said:
1. i dont see the reason in spending a couple thousand on a getrag 6spd.
and
2. theres nothing wrong with it.

For the power level your trying to achieve the w58 is not strong enough, like stated the r154 is what you need. I would suggest researching before you just start buying stuff so you dont just waste money, theres a whole write up take a look at it.

91 mK3

Laaaaaaag
Aug 22, 2006
Hayward, Bay Area
maybe on the forums or if you have a pick n pull junk yard out there, you could prbbaly find some good ones there. wait for the 50% off days. we have it here in cali.

tsals

Jan 9, 2010
nothern VA
is there anywhere i can get the 2jz with the 1jz bellhousing and r154 all as a swap... or is that a stupid pipe dream?

jdmk3

2jzmk3
Mar 28, 2006
Walnut, CA
Yeah thats pretty much impossible to find a 2jz/1jBH/R154 all together. Just make sure you source everything from a reputable seller. Its going to take some time but it will be worth it in the end. As far as parts that you will need thats not included in your list. You will also need 1j engine brackets (thats what im using along with MK4 motor mounts), 7mgte driveshaft, mechanical clutch fan setup (recommended), 1jz/2jz igniter, 7mgte LSD diff (recommended), boost and oil pressure gauge and some custom intake piping. I know im missing something. Anyways, expect to spend for misc. parts needed throughout the build, trust..:icon_bigg