2jz Corvette

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
lppro said:
well my friend has a 86 (i thought it was a lt1..) and the stock specs say 235 hp..

86 is a tpi motor. It has 235 hp...but find the torque rating :) I believe 345 or 350 ft lbs, at low rpms too. The lt1 didnt come out till 91 or 92 in the vette and 93 in the camaro. And thats more power with about the same ammount of torque as the 350 tpi. Those cars are very fast besides the "low" power rating. Thats torque for ya. I believe the TPI vette was a mid 14 sec car from the factory, which isnt far from the mk4tt considering the technology and price gap(new of course)

Last edited:

threedguru

Self Proclaimed Mechanic
Jun 26, 2007
Texas
Isphius said:
86 is a tpi motor. It has 235 hp...but find the torque rating :) I believe 345 or 350 ft lbs, at low rpms too. The lt1 didnt come out till 91 or 92 in the vette and 93 in the camaro. And thats more power with about the same ammount of torque as the 350 tpi. Those cars are very fast besides the "low" power rating. Thats torque for ya. I believe the TPI vette was a mid 14 sec car from the factory, which isnt far from the mk4tt considering the technology and price gap(new of course)

Has anyone ever seen a 1983 Corvette?

also in 86 the had a L98, not even a lt1 and was fuel injected with the crossfire system ( this thing was retarded) the motor was rated at only 230 hp. It also was tpi not tbi. Learn your shit yo. And the swap is an interesting one but kinda pointless. the c4 was claimed as one of the best handling cars but because of its sluggish performance (due to emission laws in that time) it couldnt be tested as serious competition for other manufacturers.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Datsrboi said:
WTF.. They started that thing without plugging everything in. NO coolant either because the top hose isnt even plugged in.

good way to fuck up an engine...

won't be as fast as say turning on a PC without a cooler on the CPU, but it won't take long to overheat that head so bad it's annealed...

idiots...

Mk3Jesse

Fire is my friend.
Oct 22, 2006
Augusta, GA
www.myspace.com
threedguru said:

also in 86 the had a L98, not even a lt1 and was fuel injected with the crossfire system ( this thing was retarded) the motor was rated at only 230 hp. It also was tpi not tbi. Learn your shit yo. And the swap is an interesting one but kinda pointless. the c4 was claimed as one of the best handling cars but because of its sluggish performance (due to emission laws in that time) it couldnt be tested as serious competition for other manufacturers.

LOL @ 83 corvette comment.

ANd yes, i was about to say this, the crossfire system is the reason that it had low hp. I <3 LT1 :D, the lt4 was also a badass motor but a bit more rare.

cjpp78

Apr 3, 2006
lavonia GA
I thought the L98 had 250hp in the vette, 230hp in the GTA transam and Z28 camaro. Its funny, the 1989 turbo v6 transam was fatster than all of them with 300hp,though rated at 250hp to not hurt the vetts feelings.

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
threedguru said:

if you look at what you quoted from me, i said tpi... Also i said it came out in 86. I also said the lt1 was in the 90s