200RWHP

queenskid926

Tires yeling @ every Lite
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
AJ'S 88NA said:
I have a IPP stroker kit. It came with Chevy Eagle H beam rods, all balanced with Wesico pistons. So far no problems to 7k rpm concerning the Kit.
You ever your beast on a dyno? What numbers are you making? I just glanced at your set-up and i kno your ge is making more than 200rwhp.

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
labrat469 said:
Yes! Somebody finally brought up the reason why I don't go turbo.

Maintenance Cost

It doesn't matter how much power you put out either forced induction or NA if your car is always in the shop. Going turbo or using nitrous or high compression is the quickest way to find the weakest link in a motor. Time and time again I see people in such a rush to make alot of power they don't think about the stress that they are putting on the motor. What risks are you willing to take to achieve your goal. And are the risks worth the time and money you are going to spend maintaining the motor you've built.

Going turbo is NOT the cheapest way to make power when you add build costs and maintenance costs. Basically put Horse Power Costs. Not only in part costs but in maintenance costs. The more you do to a motor the more that can go wrong. Seriously now, go read the turbo forum and see what goes wrong on their cars and the problems they have maintaining their cars. Yes, the NA cars have their problems but not as many as the turbo cars.

My 1jz is way more reliable than my na ever was.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
queenskid926;875909 said:
You ever your beast on a dyno? What numbers are you making? I just glanced at your set-up and i kno your ge is making more than 200rwhp.

Yes they are posted towards the begining of the thread, 215 and 207. I'll be posting some new numbers soon.

DEFIANT 7M

101MM stroke of INSANITY!
Mar 30, 2005
Nashville/Miami
Ma70.Ent;874558 said:
Oh damn! Where have you been?!

Working and watching my kids grow.

AJ'S 88NA;874649 said:
Not just talk, my stroke is 97.5mm with +.060 10.5-1 pistons. You can go .060 over with the right block.

Defiant: You going to try to get that 101 running?

Oh yea:icon_bigg

Dec 20, 2007
El Sobrante, CA
lil_dcb7;864522 said:
So... I've been thinking... I've owned my NA 87 MK3 for a solid two years... and Im wanting more power.

I know the easiest route would be to do a 7MGTE swap, but my dads a Nazi, and wont let me (i just barely hit 18, and due to california smog.. he wont help me swap it in... :aigo: )

so i've been thinking... the 7MGE is rated at 210 at the crank? whats that RWHP..? 150?

I want around 220 RWHP, 200 at the least. And I've been doing research, I just want to hear some opinions on what steps I can take.

Im not too sure about milling my head wafer thin, and custom high-comp pistons sound expensive...

so what can I do...? Cams? Tuning? 2.5" exhaust? (i currently have 2.25" magnaflow catback)

my car is completely stock. I mean, all I have is a filter cone, and a mandrel bent 2.25" exhaust. I mean, I dont even have a MHG, just a toyota OEM HG and 20 year old head bolts (im pretty sure my 7M would have blown another HG, if it didnt throw its rod first)

thanks everyone for their input!

Well here's my setup and I think I may be in the area of 200 horsepower. The guy I bought it from told me he beat a 1998 N/A with this car but I think he's kinda full of sh!t but who knows....

NEW BELTS
NEW HOSES
NEW GASKET KIT
NEW ALTERNATOR
NEW WATER PUMP
NEW BATTERY
OBX CRANKSHAFT PULLY
ELECTRIC FAN
SILICONE HOSE KIT
GROUND WIRE KIT
OBX HEADERS
NEW CAT CONVERTER
N1 MUFFLER
SERVICED INJECTORS(NEW O RINGS)
MSD SPARK PLUG WIRES
NGK IRRIDIUM SPARK PLUGS
NEW FUEL FILTER
NEW FUEL PUMP
STAGE 2 CENTER FORCE CLUTCH
MACHIENED FLY WHEEL
CUSTOM COLD-AIR INTAKE WITH JACKET
SERVICED COLD START INJECTOR
6AL MSD IGNITION BOX
MSD SS BLASTER COIL
MSD TACH/FUEL ADDAPTER
KSPORT KONTROL PRO ADJUSTABLE COILOVERS
KHUMO ECSTA ASX ULTRA HIGH PERFORMANCE ALL SEASON TIRES

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
MrTwinTurbo1988;891143 said:
Well here's my setup and I think I may be in the area of 200 horsepower. The guy I bought it from told me he beat a 1998 N/A with this car but I think he's kinda full of sh!t but who knows....

ELECTRIC FAN
OBX HEADERS
N1 MUFFLER
CUSTOM COLD-AIR INTAKE WITH JACKET

IMO, Those are the only things on that list that would give your more horsepower. Chances are, you're not anywhere near 200 RWHP. Hell, the gains with this custom cold air intake are slim to none I bet, unless it's properly designed.

Dec 20, 2007
El Sobrante, CA
Ma70.Ent;891214 said:
IMO, Those are the only things on that list that would give your more horsepower. Chances are, you're not anywhere near 200 RWHP. Hell, the gains with this custom cold air intake are slim to none I bet, unless it's properly designed.

But my engine is fresh and has a lil more juice than most because of how fresh it is and it was built correctly

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
MrTwinTurbo1988;891225 said:
But my engine is fresh and has a lil more juice than most because of how fresh it is and it was built correctly

Even if it was fresh the estimated "best number" for a stock 7MGE is 165 RWHP. There's no way those mods will bring it up from that to 200 RWHP...

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
OK boys and girls, time for new vocabulary words.

STREETABLE: A motor or car that has been modified, but is still usable as a daily driver vehicle without too much effort, discomfort, or risk.

What's the use of a fast car when you can't drive it on the street and it's always in the shop getting repaired, replaced, rebuilt or re-tuned. The more power-adders you put on your motor the more that can go wrong. Let's not forget fuel economy. The more power you put out the more fuel you will use not to mention having to use a higher octane level to stop pinging and detention.

Power band:The range of operating speeds under which the engine is able to operate efficiently.

When increasing your horse power you shrink your power band and move it to the upper RPM range requiring you to rev your motor higher to get to the power you want to use.

If we really want alot of HP then we all need to get rid of our precious 7M's, 1j's, and 2j's and start looking at V8 swaps. I've helped build motors that would would put you in the back seat. But the main problems with them are reliability and maintenance.

So I'll leave you all to ponder this question. How much horse power can you make before your motor is unstreetable?

Hey Defiant, how about taking a 351W and stroking it to a 396 and dropping it into a mid 90's ford ranger. Where were those "OH SHIT!!" handles again?

DEFIANT 7M

101MM stroke of INSANITY!
Mar 30, 2005
Nashville/Miami
labrat469;900736 said:
OK boys and girls, time for new vocabulary words.

STREETABLE: A motor or car that has been modified, but is still usable as a daily driver vehicle without too much effort, discomfort, or risk.

What's the use of a fast car when you can't drive it on the street and it's always in the shop getting repaired, replaced, rebuilt or re-tuned. The more power-adders you put on your motor the more that can go wrong. Let's not forget fuel economy. The more power you put out the more fuel you will use not to mention having to use a higher octane level to stop pinging and detention.

Power band:The range of operating speeds under which the engine is able to operate efficiently.

When increasing your horse power you shrink your power band and move it to the upper RPM range requiring you to rev your motor higher to get to the power you want to use.

If we really want alot of HP then we all need to get rid of our precious 7M's, 1j's, and 2j's and start looking at V8 swaps. I've helped build motors that would would put you in the back seat. But the main problems with them are reliability and maintenance.

So I'll leave you all to ponder this question. How much horse power can you make before your motor is unstreetable?

Hey Defiant, how about taking a 351W and stroking it to a 396 and dropping it into a mid 90's ford ranger. Where were those "OH SHIT!!" handles again?

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Streetable...Me??? Have you seen C16 sold at Shell or BP

Powerband...I might be alright????

one more:

Lunatic.........Yep 100% going to try both of the above.

Hell who needs "OH SHIT" handles by the time you grab them it too late. Need to get in with the "Depends" already on and enjoy:biglaugh:

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
And EVERYONE who has built a fast turbo motor will agree a turbo ain't shit without a good motor behind it. Personally I can not help those who wasted money by "Lego building" or throwing parts onto a motor thinking that they will get the same numbers that the companies claim. Those who don't do the research are the same ones whining because they messed up their motors with a half ass build. Do they research before even touching a bolt on your motor

You need to forcibly remove your head from your ass and wake up. Most of these fast cars your talking about can not be driven on the streets on a daily basis. I laugh at these guys who brag about their fast cars and can't even drive them to the store and back. If you read anything about turbo motors you will realize they have issues with keeping the motor cool, oiling issues, fuel issues, maintenance issues, and keeping the motor in tune so they can use the HP they crank out. N/A's are plain and simple and easier to maintain.

Take your childish anger someplace else. Try a Honda site. You are most ignorant person to disgrace themself I have even seen here.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
IJ.;907074 said:
AJ: I made 215 today :)
(5Psi boost @ 4000rpm)
Well way to go IJ. Haven't had time to check your build thread yet today but that's great and I'm sure you are going to post larger numbers soon:icon_bigg

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
I'm sorry for going off. I'm the poor SOB that has to rebuild someone's "Lego Build" or half ass build at the custom shop. I'm just tired of people thinking that a turbo is God's gift to motors when in reality they are not. They have their own set of problems that adds to the problems that a motor already has. Too many wannabe fast and furious read a couple articles without realizing what all went into building the motors that they are drooling over and think they can build one just like it in less than a weekend by throwing a bunch of high dollar parts together and expect it to last.

I've seen too many of these high HP motors destroyed by little things and stupid mistakes. But most of them are destroyed by ignorant owners who think their +400 HP motors are daily drivers and end up blowing their motor. I've personally seen a 600HP motor destroyed by a .10 cent bolt that got sucked into the intake manifold and bounced around cyl 1 and 8 until it was small enough to get past the valves and destroy pistons and crack the block. The heads were cracked and the valves were missing pieces. I had to do the engine autopsy to find out why the motor failed. The owner voided the warranty by adjusting a bolt on the carb.

Once again sorry for going off.

I'm outta of here like a crackhead with a car stereo.....

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Meh, ma70Ent. will (please) clean out all the non-specific "data." I'm glad he does a good job of keeping the good tech threads clean.

Totally agree with your last tech post, though. See "custom(read half-assed)" work all the time in customer's vehicles. Then they wonder why it doesn't run right, cool right, warm up right, etc. Sometimes I want to beat them with their own tools(usually elec. tape, wire cutters, and vice grips, seemingly)...