1UZ into my MKIII

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Hey gang, well after a lot of decission, and a few words with Ian (IJ), I have decided to go ahead and start the thread about my 1uz build/swap.

The thread is going to be a little slow to begin with as I am just doing little things here and there to get read for the actual swap. The intension is to have it all planed and worked out so that the actual swap/install only takes a weekend to complete. Basically start friday afternoon and finish and have it running by sunday night..... I know, seems like an impossible goal, but hey, its worth a shot.

A little history about it and plans at this moment.
The motor is from a 92 Lexus SC400 (Soarer). Initially, the motor is going to be pretty much stock with the exception of possibly a custom intake manifold and custom headers. Once the motor is in and running, I will be then working on location and fitment of a pair of GT28 turbos. Once all the turbo equipment (i.e. manifolds, piping, intercoolers, ect) is figured out and completed, then I am may pick up another motor to build up for turbo use, but basically a stock rebuild with a few slight changes. The intent initially is for around 400 rwhp which a stock motor with about 8 to 10psi will almost produce and still retain reliability. Being that this is a full on daily driver, reliability is a key factor here. The nice part about the reliability is that a stock 1uz decently maintained will easially surpass 300,000 miles.

There will also be a few other things being done to the car not related to the engine swap, like suspension and interior and what not. The suspension is a must. The stock bushing are not happy right now having over 250,000 miles on them, and I need to fix some things that the previous owner did like actually getting a good set of springs and shocks or what not and not just stockers that have been cut. I know, CUT SPRINGS? well the car has not been that bad with them so I never bothered to redo it correctly.

Well thats all that comes to mind at the moment. Questions (as I am sure that they will be asked) are more then welcome. I will try to update as often as possible, but its going to be a little slow to begin with cause of other commitments.

BJ91T

Aug 28, 2006
Baton Rouge LA
<anyone bring the drinks out this popcorn made me thirsty>

j/p sounds like it will be sweet when done man good luck you can be sure i will be here till its done i wanna see this :)

tubbie

Yes, powerful Jedi....
Apr 4, 2005
Hoschton, GA
With slight modifications to the engine mounts, it bolts right in to the 89+ subframe......

But because the mk3 has a big bulge on the passenger side for the a/c heater system the head will hit that bump and not be able to sit on the stock mounts. You need to move the engine about 4 inches forward. That means cutting about 2 inches off the subframe to clear the oil pan and new engine mounts.

bigunitpitcher22

BoL Spartan051
Jun 13, 2006
vancouver, WA
www.myspace.com
<brings raincoat to avoid hurricane>

Dude that sounds like it's going to be sick, when were you planning on having it done by? (I know it says fri. but I wasnt sure if he meant this friday or just whenever the friday comes to do it.)

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
tubbie said:
With slight modifications to the engine mounts, it bolts right in to the 89+ subframe......

But because the mk3 has a big bulge on the passenger side for the a/c heater system the head will hit that bump and not be able to sit on the stock mounts. You need to move the engine about 4 inches forward. That means cutting about 2 inches off the subframe to clear the oil pan and new engine mounts.

Yes, does require costum mounts, but no need to pull it forward at all. The only firewall issue and not actually fire wall itself is the brake booster does interfere against the valve cover.

The fix for this is booster from a late 80's puckup. Its slightly smaller in diameter and quite a bit thinner. I know that the pedel will be a little harder due to less assist from the booster, but having the 6pot wilwood calipers on 13" rotors and soon to have 4pot wilwoods on 12.75" rotors out back, I actually want a little less assist cause the brakes already grab to hard and fast as it is.

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
bigunitpitcher22 said:
<brings raincoat to avoid hurricane>

Dude that sounds like it's going to be sick, when were you planning on having it done by? (I know it says fri. but I wasnt sure if he meant this friday or just whenever the friday comes to do it.)

Yeah, no not this friday..... exactly correct about when ever the friday comes to do it.

The point of it is, I cant afford to have the car down during the week so I as shooting to get everything situated and taken care of before hand that way it's basically pull the 7M out and drop the 1UZ in hook up all the wiring (not much being that its my currect standalone and only needs a few small changes electronically and wiring wise to work with the 1UZ) and true the key and hope like hell that it fires up:icon_bigg .

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
ok, a few pic that I have readily avalible.

First set of mount stands (these are wrong, the correct ones are the same just shorter). Unfortunitly, I do not have the new correct one cause I sold them to a guy up in TN that is doing the same swap.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Ian, I know you on your lawnchair watching, so quick off topic (but is related to this build) metric counter sink bolts 90deg. head angle correct?

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Thanks for the support thus far guys.

----------------------------------------------

Ok, well I just realized something tonight. There is no way that I am going to be able to get everthing figured out and taken care of in order to swap the motors and have the 1UZ running in a single weekend. Just to much stuff to build that cant be figured out and build before the motor is actually sitting in the car like SS radiator pipes and what not. Oh well I am still going totry anyways.