1jz water to air and 6265 question

88supraTT

Oct 2, 2005
around the bend
I've been wondering if i should start a thread, but i can't seem to find information that makes me want to start fabrication.

1. I have a pwr barrel, due to the fact i could not get my precision air to air to fit properly with the factory bumper support. So I decided to trade with a friend rather then sell it. I'm having troubles with how big the heat exchanger should be, i was thinking just get one of the ebay ones. All I could find were 9x9 or 10 x10 from pwr; other places just used small car or motorcycle radiator but i really don't have a place to hide or shove the radiator, ideally the best fitment is a ebay unit that is 24x8x2.5, just wondering if there is any set guess-t-ment per horse power to amount of water and how much flow out of the pump. I know it could get pretty dramatic with all of the mathematical formulas and so forth, so plain English or school lesson will be fine lol; or a straight this and that, just skip it and go with air to air and delete the front bumper support :3d_frown:

I was just going to get a mustang water pump, this ebay radiator, and fabricate or buy some sort of storage/reservoir.

2.precision's billet 6265 turbocharger on a 1jz...anyone tried it yet :) apparently its supposed to spool like a gt35 and have power of a 67mm. thoughts please:), seems like dsm/evo guys like them

information
Car:fc3s
function:autox, fun car to drive with good sporting ability.
power: would like to be able to push 650 rwhp but only run 450 most of the time when beating on.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
You pretty much want as much flow as you can get as you want turbulent flow through the cores. I would not recomend the cobra pump for this setup. I would look into this dayton pump sold @ grainger (http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?ItemId=1611772746)

If you're going to go for autox/road race you'll want the biggest heat exhanger you can get and as much volume of water as you can get as well (obviously not a huge ammout because its dead weight, but the more volume the more heat the water can take before it heat soaks).

I havn't heard much of the 6262/6265 turbos used in the supra community, nor have I found much info on them (except what I read from evo/dsm forums). They sound very promising, and am looking at getting a 6265 for my 2jz build in I plan to start soon.

88supraTT

Oct 2, 2005
around the bend
thanks for information..is there any reason not to use the oem cobra pump, i know i'm gonna be asked that question by people in the future once the car is running :)

also i plan to run a 2.5 to 3 gallon water system, but i have yet to get the pump and heat exchanger so I don't know the amount of water those will take just yet.

sk6471

Quietly Lurking
May 28, 2005
Texas
If your running an engine with a front facing intake manifold, no air to water intercooler will cool as well as a front mount air to air with proper air flow. For a street or autocross car, you should modify the front bumper support and stick with an air to air if at all possible. Pound for pound air to air is vastly superior to air to water.
If you do decide to go air to water, you should at least know the advantages and disadvantages.

Air to Water:
Advantages
Can be mounted anywhere between the turbo and throttle.
Cools even when the car is moving slow or stopped.
Freer flowing for less pressure drop and better off boost throttle response.
Doesn't need direct airflow to function, engine can be mounted in the rear.
For short term cooling you can add a reservoir and cool it with ice or freon.
More consistent, acts as a heat exchanger not a heat sink.
Disadvantages
Can't cool as well at speed.
Weighs a lot more.
More complex.
More expensive.
Less reliable.
A leak can potentially damage your engine.

I'm sure I'll catch hell for this, but to me PWR makes the worst air to water coolers. For their size they flow horribly. The model that's big enough to flow enough air for a 6262 is probably too big to fit in your car. IMO barrel shaped intercoolers are retarded. It's a shame because PWR makes some very nice tube-and-fin air to air models.

88supraTT

Oct 2, 2005
around the bend
^ thanks for info..i have the second largest cooler pwr offers 650hp rated cooler the next one they offer is the 1250 hp and above rated. it will fit the car fine.

its a bad picture but its a general idea, Ive removed the cross piece of metal and installed 1" square tubing for the support so it fits up there nicely :)
p1224945_1.jpg

i agree on you with the worst part, per 7psi you lose 1psi.

On the reliability part, how often to air to air units fail and allow crap into the intake and dust your engines...you don't know because i highly doubt people are checking there units every so often unless there is a noticeable problem it is out of sight out of mind. the only thing that could be unreliable is the pump itself...but if you go with a oem unit or better, you are bettering your chance of not failing.

the thing I'm looking into now is the amount of water if i can make the reservoir just big enough to hold water to allow it only to pass once through the cooler during a pass it will help keep the temps low. example lets say i boost for 15 secs, a 10 gpm pump will move 2.5 gallons in 15 secs so the ideal size would be 2.5 gallons...sounds like a lot of water, but if I can it to 13 seconds or 12 seconds

so the pump he is recommending is flowing around 16 gpm max at 10 ft ahead. so in turn. for a 12 to 13 second burst, to keep the water from recirculating i would need 3.4 gallon reservoir, max. relatively speaking that would be about a 1/2 a gallon lower then full system because that is what i'm guessing the pwr will hold, probably less..i have never measured it. so i have a heat exchanger and a reservoir plus lines that needs to equal about 3.4 gallons max to keep the water from circulating twice during a pull.

the ebay cooler that I'm looking at is
core is 480cubic inches space and I'm guessing about 35-40% of that is actual water so about .83 gallons in the core. The end tanks I'm gonna guess are 1/3 gallons so its gonna be pretty close to a gallon if not a little more.

I'm guessing about 8 feet of 3/4" house which equals about 42 1/2 cubic inches so 0.2 gallons in the hose

so i have about 1.2 gallons give or take a little, and need a reservoir that is roughly 1 1/2 to 2 gallons to meet this expectation and to get a reservoir that size is 462 cubic inches or 2 gallons or a 10x7x6.5 box. water weighs about 8.34 lbs per gallon so 26 lbs in water.

I can make the system a little smaller to save weight and so forth because this is ment for a one shot drag car with no heat exchanger, just water to the reservoir and back to the cooler, with a heat exchanger it will help with water temps to help make the total system smaller.

26lbs in water
pwr weighs 10lbs give or take
heat exchanger weights 8 lbs give or take
pump is probably close to 15 lbs
3 lbs for a reservoir

so I'm looking at 63 lbs or so for the whole setup

my precision air to air weighed 30-50 lbs, because the core alone ships at 30 lbs ...wished i would have weighed it...I'm positive it weights a lot more then my gt40. I will ask my friend to weigh it when he gets back into town.

so its about twice the weight, twice the head ach.

cost greddy fmic new is 1000-1300 new

water to air
180 pump
180 heat exchanger
350 for cooler (new is 855)
water is free
total is 710

my math and theory is a little edgy but i think i'm close :biglaugh:

here is somthing i pulled from another forum as information

I've never had a problem with heatsoak, even in NYC traffic. intake temps always remained reasonable, even after sitting in traffic then immediately getting on the throttle. On the worst days, i'll see 15 degrees above ambient when i first get moving.

its all about capacity and heat exchanger.. the ford lightings and even the ford GT use a 2 gallon non shared capacity setup. Mine is 3 gallons, with a 2 stage pump (slower off boost, high with boost) and with a small but thick heat exchanger (ATV radiator) and 8" fan, it'll cool the water down plenty. the biggest mistake people make is using a too small heat exchanger like a tranny cooler or some tube/fin oil cooler... the second mistake is that they design it too small, or have it shared ( i run mine shared in winter, when i used to drive the car in winter). Third mistake is that they don't add a fan to the heat exchanger. doesn't have to be a killer fan.. mine is only 8" and isn't some CFM monster.. the last mistake they make is they put the heat exchanger on the return side, instead of the feed... erroneous logic leading them to think they need to cool off the now heated liquid after it leaves the IC.

In reality - that goes into the reservoir, and if the res. is of sufficient capacity - it will mix in with whats in there, and distribute the heat. The key to not heat soaking is to run it through the heat exchanger before it gets to the IC.

The heatsoak problem would exist more in systems without much capacity (< 1 gallon) and without a heat exchanger for the fluid.. ie: pumped straight from the reservoir to the IC, and back to the reservoir.

its a very very common myth about liquid to air intercooling that simply isn't true is you set it up well and put some thought into it.

other than added complexity, i found it superior to air to air in every driving situation. the ability to ice it is an added bonus... just make sure you have a mesh covering on your lines from the reservoir, or you'll kill your pump.

think of it like this... you're mimicking a car's cooling system. when a car's cooling system is properly designed... even in nevada heat - it should be able to handle traffic conditions with the a/c running, and etc without an issue. a w/a IC setup really is no different. you need a way to remove the heat that has been added. The benefits outweight the added complexity IMO. On the flipside - it IS adding several more points of failure.. if i were to build a daily driver low boost application on a 6 again, i wouldn't bother with it.

Last edited:

88supraTT

Oct 2, 2005
around the bend
^nah, that make things too easy...:biglaugh:

if anyone has any information to contradict what i'm saying please say something...this is gonna be becoming reality with-in two months time.

thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
^Holy shit at post 5.

I play around with the idea myself (with ebay exchanger). but decided to go the other way. ;)

good luck and if you're stand alone please post a graph or readout of you AIT's. when you're done :)

88supraTT

Oct 2, 2005
around the bend
Zumtizzle;1224972 said:
^Holy shit at post 5.

I play around with the idea myself (with ebay exchanger). but decided to go the other way. ;)

good luck and if you're stand alone please post a graph or readout of you AIT's. when you're done :)

will do :)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
88supraTT;1225079 said:
come on, a picture...no explanation what are you doing to me, !!!shenanigans!!! :aigo::aigo::aigo:

what pump? looks likes a cobra?

I thought it had to be the lowest point in the system so you don't starve it?

what size heat exchanger is this individual using or was using?

I have questions that need answering.

lol
thanks in advance
PWR 6'x10" Barrel kit, bosch pump what else do you need to know?

88supraTT

Oct 2, 2005
around the bend
bmk3;1258510 said:
i wish i had ur answer bro and have u finished ur car yet?

no, waiting on drive shaft shop and some other things to happen.

IJ.;1258537 said:
PWR 6'x10" Barrel kit, bosch pump what else do you need to know?

-were did you get those clamps that mount the barrel? I'm having troubles finding them. do you have a brand or part number that would be awesome. If not i'm just gonna make some straps myself with some thin strips steel with rubber wraps.

-also what heat exchanger and reservoir are you using?

pretty much after i made this thread I have decided what i want to do and so forth, so I'm kinda done digging for information, I'm going to have around a 2 gallon system.
-cobra heat exchanger
-cobra water pump
-custom water reservoir

bmk3

MK3 owner goin 1JZ ftw
Feb 14, 2009
Garland,TX
88supraTT;1258999 said:
no, waiting on drive shaft shop and some other things to happen.

ok so do u knw who this is? and why wait u got almost ever part known to supras lol but are u goin to make it to tx2k9 this year? cuz u didnt make it last yr aka ur car wasnt done yet and still isnt

88supraTT

Oct 2, 2005
around the bend
bmk3;1262457 said:
ok so do u knw who this is? and why wait u got almost ever part known to supras lol but are u goin to make it to tx2k9 this year? cuz u didnt make it last yr aka ur car wasnt done yet and still isnt

won't be going to tx2k9, maybe next year were going to seven not stock this year. 88supratt is my twin brother and he has a 2jzna-t and i have a fc3s with a 1jzgte swap that i'm asking questions about the water to air. My brothers na-t is not going to be running for awhile because it needs standalone, and alot of time, he wants to get the engine bay and car painted, but the kid/friend/classmate of his said yesterday after a 2 month wait. "I won't have time" so that just throws a wrench in things.

here is his car running, it has a massive vacuum leak. As it runs more it gets to the point it won't stay running due to the plugs are so fouled, later found pin holes in the manifold and repaired them; haven't put the manifold back on, because the car was going to get body work.

current pic of his
p1262602_2.jpg

my car hopefully will be running, possibly driving(without boost) sunday late in the day.

here is a picture the last time his car was running, i think it was the next month or so is when it developed rod knock and went on the 2jzna-t cutting board :)
p1262602_3.jpg

Last edited:

bmk3

MK3 owner goin 1JZ ftw
Feb 14, 2009
Garland,TX
nice fc3s i used to have one of those until i traded it cuz i didnt knw wat i was doin wit it until after i traded and found out wat the problem was to it:3d_frown: but this isnt christen is it? cuz thats who i thought u were