1jz or 7m?

nerfkhat

Aug 24, 2005
centennial, Co
hmmmm dangit.i have the head gasket taken care of right now,maybe i should list the mods for you guys this may help the decision..

arp head studs
titan mhg 1.4mm
apexi avcr
apexi safc
custom 3" exhaust
custom aluminum intercooler piping
apexi skyline intercooler
p/p head with valve job
new rings and bearings
fpd/jtube bypass
denso 550cc injector
lexus v8 maf
blitz bov
mkiv tt fuel pump
TEC built 60-1 ct26 turbo

Think thats it for power producing equipment. I was leaning towards 1jz but its scarce right now. I like the torque also. I was also thinking about getting the DM ct26 adapter manifold also..Now what you guys think?

Supra-K

Sep 13, 2007
Victorville CA
1jz ftw, dont screw yourself with a 7m, ive been through 3 of them in a matter of a year :) but yet again like most people say, its a personal thing, I love the 1j to death and wouldnt go back so haha sorry for such a biased opinion but I cant deny truth haha

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
Depends alot on your driving style and your hp/torque goals. A well built 7M is a good solid engine than can put down the power and torque for most peoples needs/budget.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Supra-K;1083255 said:
1jz ftw, dont screw yourself with a 7m, ive been through 3 of them in a matter of a year :) but yet again like most people say, its a personal thing, I love the 1j to death and wouldnt go back so haha sorry for such a biased opinion but I cant deny truth haha

So it's the engine's fault? :icon_roll

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Supra-K;1083255 said:
1jz ftw, dont screw yourself with a 7m, ive been through 3 of them in a matter of a year :)

lol...I know a guy here who went through a lot of 7Ms, and a 1JZ or two :)

Why does everyone blame the engine?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Ma70.Ent;1083616 said:

Because it is never the persons fault. Someone or something else is always at fault. and since we are faulting everyone but ourselves, I blame George Bush!

nerfkhat

Aug 24, 2005
centennial, Co
well im not that young anymore so no more street racing but my goal was 400hp range. Id be happy with that. Which i think it should be there already if it ran perfectly. If i stay with 7m id probably spend less money than if i were to do the 1jz. I would also like to be able to finish it by oct to go vegas meet also. Can anyone local recommend a good machine shop to double check the motor?

Thanks guys for your input!:icon_razz

Supra-K

Sep 13, 2007
Victorville CA
Poodles;1083610 said:
So it's the engine's fault? :icon_roll
never said it was, ive been through 3 7ms and have been on the same 1j so fa,r so obviously thats saying something, I take good care of all things on my car even if im not to fond of the 7m, they all got rod knock do to spun bearings, i ran synthetic oil and made sure it was always at the correct level, i never bashed on them and always kept them tuned the best I could, I just dont see any potential in the 7m anymore after reliability sake, espically considering the amount of mods you have to do to even keep them reliable, so I rather stay with the 1j and have a better experience with my supra, yet again opinion based

Ma70.Ent;1083616 said:

Well i have to blame the 7m, its sucks, has oiling issues and blows head gaskets, even if it was a defect from the factory toyota shoulda recalled those bitches and put the 1j in instead. like i said again my opinion no one elses, if you dont agree with me then get a 1j :icon_bigg no but really just what I feel

kwnate

Lurker
Jul 10, 2005
None of your fucking business
7jz... 7m bottom end with a 2jz head if you use the 1jz headgasket it lines right up since mk3's came with 1jzs in japan i had to use a custom built K&N filter to get it to work though...that wasn't cheap but i dont kare dare to be different stand out from the crowd yo but its your care so do what you want man it doesnt matter which way you go cuz both can make tons of power but the headgasket s not good on th e 7m cuz of the rods youcan use the tranny so that s good it handle all you can give it unless you r ij beleeve me i done 15 or 30 of these swamps ivolving cars that r supras and they all are motors and will do the sam thing yo put big turbo on and go after the lag and tires spinning

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
kwnate;1083868 said:
7jz... 7m bottom end with a 2jz head if you use the 1jz headgasket it lines right up since mk3's came with 1jzs in japan i had to use a custom built K&N filter to get it to work though...that wasn't cheap but i dont kare dare to be different stand out from the crowd yo but its your care so do what you want man it doesnt matter which way you go cuz both can make tons of power but the headgasket s not good on th e 7m cuz of the rods youcan use the tranny so that s good it handle all you can give it unless you r ij beleeve me i done 15 or 30 of these swamps ivolving cars that r supras and they all are motors and will do the sam thing yo put big turbo on and go after the lag and tires spinning

sm_photo_missing.jpg