1jz or 7m?

nerfkhat

Aug 24, 2005
centennial, Co
Hey guys so heres a little detail about the car. I havent really driven the car(daily) for about 5yrs. its been in and out of commission throughout. Right now its driveable but not perfect there is some low compression in 3 cylinders i think. Not sure if its from piston rings(brand new) or valve adjustment issue.

I kinda tired of trying to diagnose the issue. So im torn between spending the money to get a 1jz or fixing my 7m. What do you guys think i should do?

If i get a 1jz also should i just opt out for a engine combo or wait till a front clip comes along because I know they are hard to find now. I do also have a 89+ chassis.

mischief7m

Broke and Lovin It
Sep 13, 2007
Central Ma / Cape Cod Ma
really, like JDMMA70 said, its a personal thing...if i could go back, i honestly probably would have just built my 7m.

with the money and time i spent on this swap, i could have one kickass 7m.

but, do your research, talk to some people with either, and make a decision for your self. there are people who hate the 7m, and would say hands down 1jz, and there are people who love the 7m to death.

both engines have their perks and downfalls, but if cost effectiveness and time is an issue, 7m is the likely choice

and learn from my mistake, if you have a tight budget, and a tight schedule, dont try a swap. especially if it is your first one, unless you have someone experienced to help you through the whole thing.

good luck on your decision
-Trevor

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
If you're going to swap, don't fuck around, go 2J...

Seriously, with the 1J's getting more and more rare for a complete clip, you're going to put just as much work into going 2J, and in the end the rewards are greater.

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
I kept my 7M-GTE. the 3.0 makes more torque than the 2.5, and if built right and maintained (RETORQUE HEAD BOLTS!!) the 7M should last. Think of it the way i did. For the money your going to spend on a (stock) 1JZ, you'll take your motor to a shop and have it built. You have the motor. Let a pro take care of it since you've decided your in over your head and rape a few 1J's when its done. :evil2:

Last edited:

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
TomFraser;1081859 said:
is there a huge difference in top speed or acceleration between bone stock 1j or 7mgte?

which is more reliable?

1jz is 280hp vs 7m 228hp and the 7m needs the hg problem addressed.

All 3 engines 7m,1j,2j are great and can be modified to produce scary amounts of power so it is best to figure out how much power you want and then plan out the path to make it. It basically boils down to personal preference. I love the way the 2j looks it is less busy than the 7m.