1jz or 2jz

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
So i have the money saved up and i cant decide 1jz or 2jz they seem to be around the same price only thing is the 2j is auto.

I have a R154 my question is will it bolt right up and what would i need to do with the ecu for the 2j?

And what is the difference when it comes to rear sump and front sump with the 1jz and witch would i have to go with or would i prefer?

Thanks in advance jordan

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
don't matter if the 2j is auto or not :) as long as you have the 1jz bellhousing for that r154 it should bolt on to it. PERSONALLY i would go 2jz cause well...its a 3 litre and its bulletproof why not?! :D

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
aznboik1mva;1631689 said:
search on this, plenty of people as this question. theres a search bar on the top right

laotionracer101;1631690 said:

The time you both took to post "search" could have been spent actually helping the guy..... :nono:

This isn't SF don't pull this shit again.

OP: If $ isn't a factor I'd personally go 2J every time as the Mk3 is a fat bitch and the extra 500cc makes a difference in day to day driving.

barkz

Sep 14, 2010
Afghanistan
2j all the way! as stated above, you just need the bell housing to adapt tranny. after deployment im goin 2j with BST. gonna make lots of power MUAH HA HA...

aznboik1mva

Aug 20, 2009
Manchester,Ct
IJ.;1631931 said:
The time you both took to post "search" could have been spent actually helping the guy..... :nono:

This isn't SF don't pull this shit again.

OP: If $ isn't a factor I'd personally go 2J every time as the Mk3 is a fat bitch and the extra 500cc makes a difference in day to day driving.

i dont understand how i was acting like its sf, its not like is said hey noob search and thats it, i told him where he can ask his question that was discussed plenty of times on the forum, maybe he didnt know there was a search bar, i mean i was a noob once and didnt know until somebody pointed it out to me

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
I'd go 2jz with the r154. The 7m is picky but feels good and the 1jz in my opinion doesnt have as much aftermarket help readily available as the 7m or 1jz. But I'm still a noob so what do I know? lol
I'm running 7m right now, but I want to save up for a 2jz with a big single turbo in the future

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
The good news is for 2200.00 you can get a 1jz with a R154 attached, a wiring harness ecu, map sensor, and engine mounts. Also if you do this you can get the 1jz in and if you want to upgrade to a 2JZ later on you can, it will go right in. I am currently in the process of Swapping a 1JZ into my S2000 - I want to do it because everyone is obsessed with the 2JZ.

Also remember if you get a JDM 1jz or 2jz they both make 280 hp. The 2JZ from Japan have 440CC injectors, and also have a speed limiter of 120 MPH or around there. The 1jz comes with 370CC but does the job well. For the money the 1JZ is just as good, and you get a nice transmission. If you have any questions you can also Pm me. Good luck with whatever you go with.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I'd go 2jz, because like other people have stated in the long run 3 > 2.5 and you cant argue with that.

And as for the same hp point, theres something to be said for powerband aswell and not just peak.

aznboik1mva;1631962 said:
i dont understand how i was acting like its sf, its not like is said hey noob search and thats it, i told him where he can ask his question that was discussed plenty of times on the forum, maybe he didnt know there was a search bar, i mean i was a noob once and didnt know until somebody pointed it out to me
dig.png

Jimbo

Creeper
Jul 15, 2009
San Jose
aznboik1mva;1631962 said:
maybe he didnt know there was a search bar...

he has over 500 posts and has been a member for about a year n a half, so I think at one point he might have stumbled upon the search feature?

to the OP: for the extra half liter, 2j no question about it.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
92TealSupra;1631997 said:
The good news is for 2200.00 you can get a 1jz with a R154 attached, a wiring harness ecu, map sensor, and engine mounts. Also if you do this you can get the 1jz in and if you want to upgrade to a 2JZ later on you can, it will go right in. I am currently in the process of Swapping a 1JZ into my S2000 - I want to do it because everyone is obsessed with the 2JZ.

Translation: I'm going 1J because everyone goes 2J. Also I'm leaving out that upgrading twice is twice as expensive as doing it right the first time.

92TealSupra;1631997 said:
Also remember if you get a JDM 1jz or 2jz they both make 280 hp. The 2JZ from Japan have 440CC injectors, and also have a speed limiter of 120 MPH or around there. The 1jz comes with 370CC but does the job well. For the money the 1JZ is just as good, and you get a nice transmission. If you have any questions you can also Pm me. Good luck with whatever you go with.

Translation: I don't know what I'm talking about. Sorry, 1J has ECU issues, turbo issues, and is NOT "just as good" as a 2J. Dollar for dollar, once they're installed, the 2J will stomp the 1J. There used to be a time that the 1J was a cheap alternative, it's not anymore since the vast majority of front cuts are gone.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Having done the upgrade myself (2jz) I chose that route partially because there are way more performance parts and options available for the 2jz than the much less common 1jz. The extra 1/2 liter is nice too. Both motor are damned good and I have a buddy that has a 1jz that is damn nice. But when he's in my car he says he can feel a clear improvement in torque.

my 2 cents worth.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
2JZ it is i guess ,y 7m just blew the head gasket last night thanks for everyone"s help. Reason i didnt use search bar is i have limited use to a computer at the moment. Sorry.

Any other advice in the best way to go about a 2jz swap with a r-154 being as cost effient as possible would be very helpful

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Poodles;1632056 said:
Translation: I'm going 1J because everyone goes 2J. Also I'm leaving out that upgrading twice is twice as expensive as doing it right the first time.

Translation: I don't know what I'm talking about. Sorry, 1J has ECU issues, turbo issues, and is NOT "just as good" as a 2J. Dollar for dollar, once they're installed, the 2J will stomp the 1J. There used to be a time that the 1J was a cheap alternative, it's not anymore since the vast majority of front cuts are gone.

The 1JZ performs reliability wise great. yes the ECU they always end up going, but you don't get a 350.00 bell housing a 250.00 flywheel, nor a cltuch, nor a good transmission will lowerish miles. The 2JZ is nice, but I really like having all those parts right from the get go. From what I remember most 2JZ's fro sale aren't they front sump?

OP: Glad you're going 2JZ, I am sure it will make you happier, I hope you have all the other parts lined up though, it is a lot more expensive for the 2JZ to have everything then the 1jz.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
92TealSupra;1632381 said:
The 1JZ performs reliability wise great. yes the ECU they always end up going, but you don't get a 350.00 bell housing a 250.00 flywheel, nor a cltuch, nor a good transmission will lowerish miles. The 2JZ is nice, but I really like having all those parts right from the get go. From what I remember most 2JZ's fro sale aren't they front sump?

OP: Glad you're going 2JZ, I am sure it will make you happier, I hope you have all the other parts lined up though, it is a lot more expensive for the 2JZ to have everything then the 1jz.

Replacing an ECU isn't cheap, considering the only way to truly fix it is to go standalone, plus the tuning to go with it. Bell housing can be picked up used, same with the flywheel, and you're CRAZY if you don't replace the clutch, and he already has a transmission. Most 1JZ's are front or mid sump as well. You're also leaving out hacked wiring harnesses, missing ignitors, ect, all of which if he goes 2JZ are easier to find parts for if he gets the right motor.

If I could go back and do it again I would have gone 2J from the get go instead of sticking with my 7M. I know a lot of people that went 1J and end up replacing damn near everything but the head with 2J stuff because they either can't hit their goals or components keep breaking. If you're going to go through all that hassle, do it once!

Wiring is the #1 hurdle you're going to face in the swap, do your research before you do it.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
yeah im going 2j and will use the r154 i already have. i do need to learn alot about it but thats why im doing it part by part be for i start installing. I thought ABOUT GOING WITH SUPRA STORE to get the motor.

Any other opions where i should go would be welcome.

Thankyou all in advance Jordan