1JZ Build..HKS...Greddy..ACT..Chrome..You Might Like It.Dont Hate :)

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Ok, good news.

I started up the car, it ran good without the turbo on it.

The turbo is leaking! I will call Aaron and see what he can do. This is the first time I got a defective part from Aaron.

As soon as I opened the bolt to take off the half moon for the rear of the turbo, the turbine, oil dripped on my hand. I took it off completely and got a few burns along the way. Here is what I found.

Manifold Dry

a6898b21-da51-0805.jpg

Manifold leading into turbine.

a6898b21-da6d-2025.jpg

Inside turbine

a6898b21-da85-c5fb.jpg

a6898b21-daa0-2111.jpg
a6898b21-dab6-ba93.jpg
a6898b21-dacb-4e73.jpg

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I am fixing it as we speak....don't talk about how pissed off my dad is about it.

He wants to paint the whole car now. So I am looking for an 89 bumper local along with moldings.

Before

a6898b21-06b6-901b.jpg

Right Now

a6898b21-06e1-aa08.jpg

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
MA70AEROTOP;1745711 said:
yeah check that as I saw in the pics it had a pretty big bend in it also make sure it doesnt need an oil restrictor as if the turbo is ball bearing they require lower pressure or else they blow out the seals!

I know my Comp turbo unit requires a .016 restrictor...was really nervous when Greg handed me the restrictor, looks about the size of a couple hairs!

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
IBoughtASupra;1745713 said:
Whoops, hoping you didn't see that Patrick.

lol oh well, they are a frustrating car for sure. it does feel good too, i have taken a sledge to a supra's quarter panel...but mine was already wrecked haha.

keep up the good work!

edit: didn't see the picture at first, ouuuchhhhh. lol

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Ian, the turbo drain is a -10, to housing is clocked 12 to 6, goes to a 90 -10 and then to the oil pan bung which the JZ's have for the stock turbo. The hole on the oil pan itself is bigger than a -10 too, but the ARZ flange adapts to a -10. There should be a picture a couple pages back of how the drain was. It was running over a week like this, actually more than it and just started like this.

Steve, Aaron doesn't send a restrictor in his kit and his turbo uses a -4 feed line.

Patrick, yeap. It was 90+ degrees put, money that has exceed 20,000 without counting the suspension, tires, rims and big brake kit left to go on, so my anger got the best of me.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Here is a shot of how the drain is,

Comes off from the ARZ flange, then to a 90 degree -10 and then the the stainless line down to the oil pan with a 45 degree -10.

a6898b21-1915-9415.jpg

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I understand but wouldn't it flood from day one? Just asking, not trying to be a douche as you know I ask you about anything.

By the way, think the cat lady's turbo is functioning well after your "trip?"

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Lots of factors could effect it, Oil viscosity/pressure any crankcase pressure and so on, I wouldn't run a drain like that ever, for me a minimum of 45 degrees off the Turbo.

If it's in line with a Conrod where it enters the Pan can cause smoke as the splash/oil thrown off the rod is enough to back up the frothy Oil coming through the drain.

You can pretty well drop the CCL thing it never was funny...

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Ok, I talked to Albert and he said he does a 2 o' clock feed, 8 o' clock drain with a 45 degree -10 so I will do that on the next turbo when I install it. He said with that, it points straight down as with the 1JZ and drewgo manifolds, you can't have it 12-6 since the drain will hit a runner.

Thoughts?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Thoughts are it needs to go downhill......

The Oil coming out of the Turbo when running hard is brown frothy crap that doesn't flow well at the best of times.

Sort of lucky it's happening now as it would have smoked when pushed hard leading you to believe there's something wrong with the Turbo when there isn't.

Rear seal is a simple labyrinth and easily flooded, you still haven't answered if it has an inlet restrictor fitted.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
IJ.;1745816 said:
Thoughts are it needs to go downhill......

The Oil coming out of the Turbo when running hard is brown frothy crap that doesn't flow well at the best of times.

Sort of lucky it's happening now as it would have smoked when pushed hard leading you to believe there's something wrong with the Turbo when there isn't.

Rear seal is a simple labyrinth and easily flooded, you still haven't answered if it has an inlet restrictor fitted.

I did, it doesn't have any restrictor, just a -4 line that comes in the kit.

Ok, but I can't get it to go directly downhill as the manifold is in the way, so what do you think?

Maybe Albert has a picture of his setup he can't post.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Ah, journal bearing. Not sure if they can be restricted safely or not. -4 seems a bit big for supply to me, but that's using the CT as a referance, as well as smaller 2kgt turbos (somewhere between 1/8 and 3/16")

I'm with Ian on this one- you've got to somehow make a 45* fitting work.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
IJ.;1745812 said:
Lots of factors could effect it, Oil viscosity/pressure any crankcase pressure and so on, I wouldn't run a drain like that ever, for me a minimum of 45 degrees off the Turbo.

If it's in line with a Conrod where it enters the Pan can cause smoke as the splash/oil thrown off the rod is enough to back up the frothy Oil coming through the drain.

You can pretty well drop the CCL thing it never was funny...

Replace the 90 fitting with a 45 and reroute the drain line so it's always heading downhill and not horizontal like it is in the pic.