1J idles runs rough, backfires, dies outs!

Romeo

1JZ
May 28, 2008
Bay Area
Hey Guys,

Got my 1J in finally and it starts. It's on a 1988 Supra. Only thing is that it runs rough and barely runs at all. It would start sometimes and rev real rough then die out. Or it would rev up to 2k then just die out completely. It also backfires sometimes from the throttle body...sounds like a hissing or blowoff valve sound when it backfires. I do smell alot of fuel. Could it be leaking? Would leaking fuel cause all this?

Checked the timing, and it is dead on. Checked coil pack wires and cam sensor wires for juice and continuity from ECU and it passed.

I exchanged coil packs, ignitor, map sensor, ECU and it is none of those.

It does show a code 41(bad tps, or circuit) because my check engine light is on. I play with the TPS and it does nothing. I also unplugged the TPS and it also does nothing. I have asked a friend to unplug his TPS from his 1J and it runs smooth during idle like nothing was unplugged. So I am left with a bad running 1J. Could anyone know what this could be?

suprastanger507mgte: Post #4

Here's a background of what has been done so far :

First, there are no engine mods.

Wires extended and plugs re-pinned for body harness -
ECU harness - extended wire for wire and conitnuity tested for each and everyone.

Body plugs - done according to diagrams for the pre 89 Supras/1JZ mapping and all checks out. Same and similar to mine as far as power and signal wires goes.

All of the things below tested with working items:
Replaced coil packs - no change
Checked ignitor - no change
Checked Map sensor - no change
ECU checked with a known good one - no change

All of the above works in another 1JZ car so is not a problem.

TPS was set before starting engine according to TSRM

Ignitor , ECU , Coil packs all get approximately 13 volts +/- when engine key is on.
Power at EA2 connector checks out as well.

Timing is spot on as Romeo stated and we rechecked it.
There is continuity up to the ecu from all the sensors - Cams/Crank etc.
There is fuel coming to the injectors and firing for sure.

Car starts, but idles very rough and won't stay on for too long. It has loping idle and can't rev and will back fire occasionaly when it is dying.
We played with moving the TPS around and no change noticed.

Checked for code and we got only code 41 = TPS.
Will a bad TPS make the car act this bad? It was unplugged and we noticed nothing.

PS :
ECU was redone with new caps by Aaron from DM - another ecu we tried does the same thing.

Any other suggestions ? We need to get Romeo on the road quick

Last edited:

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
Here's a background of what has been done so far :

First, there are no engine mods.

Wires extended and plugs re-pinned for body harness -
ECU harness - extended wire for wire and conitnuity tested for each and everyone.

Body plugs - done according to diagrams for the pre 89 Supras/1JZ mapping and all checks out. Same and similar to mine as far as power and signal wires goes.

All of the things below tested with working items:
Replaced coil packs - no change
Checked ignitor - no change
Checked Map sensor - no change
ECU checked with a known good one - no change

All of the above works in another 1JZ car so is not a problem.

TPS was set before starting engine according to TSRM

Ignitor , ECU , Coil packs all get approximately 13 volts +/- when engine key is on.
Power at EA2 connector checks out as well.

Timing is spot on as Romeo stated and we rechecked it.
There is continuity up to the ecu from all the sensors - Cams/Crank etc.
There is fuel coming to the injectors and firing for sure.

Car starts, but idles very rough and won't stay on for too long. It has loping idle and can't rev and will back fire occasionaly when it is dying.
We played with moving the TPS around and no change noticed.

Checked for code and we got only code 41 = TPS.
Will a bad TPS make the car act this bad? It was unplugged and we noticed nothing.

PS :
ECU was redone with new caps by Aaron from DM - another ecu we tried does the same thing.

Any other suggestions ? We need to get Romeo on the road quick :(

homeskillet305

Sep 11, 2008
Miami, FL
verify that you hvae spark alone all 6 coils, then make sure your injectors arint clogged or damged. if you have backfire out of your intake mani, then i would tend to think that the timing on your intake cam is off. also check the crank position sensor while your at it. goodluck

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
Just throwing this out there, but a short in the VTA2 wire to the TPS will cause a short in the map sensor, causing the problem you describe and likely a code 41 as well.

dinhnerz

Mar 29, 2008
Cali
Back probe the TPS.
Signal wire, ground wire, and reference wire.
There should be those 3 wires on the TPS.
Check the signal and reference for voltage.
Ground for a good ground.
Signal wire 5v
Reference 5v
If you're not getting voltage, somewhere in the wires is a open.

Then what you want to do is put the probe on signal wire
and ground wire and move the throttle plate and see
if there is a change in voltage. This step you want
to do with the TPS plug in. Stick a pin in the back of the connecter
to the wires. You should get a change from close [0.5v]
up to [4.8v] WOT. If you're not getting a change in reading
and the top check out fines, bad TPS.

All of this is done with Key on engine off.

Good luck.

Romeo

1JZ
May 28, 2008
Bay Area
Okay,

Tested out the TPS for continuity and it was okay. Wiring seems to be right. But it does sound like a wiring issue. We did replace the TPS with a working one and it did get rid of the code 41, so no codes after replacing TPS but still have the same issue.

Double checked timing and it is still on spot! If it was a tooth off on either side would it cause it to bog out and die and misfire?

Any one could give any other input. My car is a Pre-89 so does that makes the wiring any different in specific?

-Mike S

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
I'm having these same exact problems and for now I am stumped.
I am going to bring it into my shop next week and beging testing over things.
I'll let you know if I find anything out.

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
well I was working on my car today and I found out that the map sensor was unhooked(no vacuum lines going to it.)
I hooked it back up correctly and I tried to start it and it was doing the same damn thing as before...
When the car starts and is in open loop do you know if it is looking at the tps and map sensor for af values?

BTW if there is anyone out there in the socal area with a 1jz supra who wouldn't mind letting me borrow there ecu for a day to test it in my car I would really appreciate it.

Romeo

1JZ
May 28, 2008
Bay Area
well we tested the tps and mine was just whacked out.....and was pulling a code 41 so I used my friends throttle body with a good working TPS and it still did the same thing but the code went away. So I just bought a new tps anyway.

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
Ok well I am going to most likely be pulling my motor and sending the harness off to dr tweak to have him redo it because I trust nothing the original guy did on this thing.
I will let you know how that goes and what I find.

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
glad you figured it out. I just ended up pulling the engine, sent off my wiring to Dr. Tweak and bought a AEM EMS. I hope it will be fixed after I get it back together lol.