1992 Black/Shadow Grey Turbo Targa - Build/Restoration thread

thebigbadbanana

May 19, 2009
Middle TN
Update!
The shell is finally in the same city as the motor! Preparation for dropping the motor in shall begin shortly!
For now, here's a few current pictures of the shell...

Loading up... It had been sitting under a tree for a good while.

p1923521_1.jpg

A long overdue bath...

p1923521_2.jpg

Black Toyota towing Black Toyota...

p1923521_3.jpg

...And yes, those are AP1 S2000 wheels... The tires on my stockers are all rotted to hell and back.

These will be going on as soon as the car is ready to run.

p1923521_4.jpg

jordanksartell

Oct 5, 2012
Tennessee
Mikey,

Those pics of when it was being loaded/still dirty don't do it justice AT ALL. That thing was absolutely FILTHY! It took about 25 minutes worth of credit at the car wash to get about 90% of it off. The rest will come off when it comes time for paint. :) Going to get the engine bay cleaned up and painted first so that we can have her running and driving again. Once that part is checked off we'll be pulling moldings, bumpers, lights, etc. and getting it prepped for paint. It's definitely in need of a full respray. The wiper arms and lower cowling below the windshield look especially sad. :(

thebigbadbanana

May 19, 2009
Middle TN
Mueller87;1923528 said:
Looks really good, and I like the attention to detail on the 7M. Keep it up.
Thank you, kind sir!
jordanksartell;1923901 said:
Mikey,

Those pics of when it was being loaded/still dirty don't do it justice AT ALL. That thing was absolutely FILTHY! It took about 25 minutes worth of credit at the car wash to get about 90% of it off. The rest will come off when it comes time for paint. :) Going to get the engine bay cleaned up and painted first so that we can have her running and driving again. Once that part is checked off we'll be pulling moldings, bumpers, lights, etc. and getting it prepped for paint. It's definitely in need of a full respray. The wiper arms and lower cowling below the windshield look especially sad. :(
I didn't think to get any more pictures of the nastiness... Even so, I doubt my phone camera could capture the full glory of the vibrant green algae gracing my paint with it's verdant glory.

Also, rusty wiper blades are an ultra rare option straight from Japan, yo!:biglaugh:

jordanksartell

Oct 5, 2012
Tennessee
An update-

In preparation for the motor and tranny being dropped in we have since completely gutted the engine bay of all electronics and components with the exception of the CMC, BMC, and the ABS Module. Everything else has been pulled out so that the bay can get a really good cleaning and a FRESH coat of glossy black paint. :thumbup:

jordanksartell

Oct 5, 2012
Tennessee
We still need to pull the front clip off to remove the factory oil cooler and intercooler/piping. A much larger/better oil cooler is going in along with a Mocal thermostat and an oil relocation kit. The intercooler I am furnishing is the God Speed Engineering intercooler/piping kit, a very nice high quality kit for a reasonable cost. It's nice to finally have the shell over at my place so I can really start picking it apart to get the drivetrain in and get it fully prepped for paint.

thebigbadbanana

May 19, 2009
Middle TN
Thanks, man!
To be honest, I didn't even have a clue my car was rare until I joined SM haha. Should you ever make it this far south, you're more than welcome to come check it out!
Believe it or not, I almost never see pre-89 cars in my area. Definitely wouldn't mind checking one out someday...

jordanksartell

Oct 5, 2012
Tennessee
Just to update his build thread...

After getting it in the shop and seeing just how bad the body was we decided to do a full teardown and repaint of it. So now we have the engine bay COMPLETELY gutted, all trim has been removed, fuel door, fuel tank (for install of new pump), bumpers, taillights, license plate trim panel, rear spoiler, mirrors, we've deleted the rear wiper and have since welded the hole shut. We've found a spot that had some Bondo repairs done, but not too much rust overall though. I'm really hoping to be shooting primer within 2 weeks. We'll see though. Hopefully he'll have some pics to update the thread with. :thumbup:

jordanksartell

Oct 5, 2012
Tennessee
supraguy@aol;1939521 said:
Pics?
I'd like to see the bodywork as well.
Looking great so far.

I'll try and snap some pics next time I'm at my shop. It looks kinda silly without all the lights, trim, wing, etc. etc. Definitely coming along though.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
jordanksartell;1939707 said:
I think he meant CT-26. :) It's just the stock turbo from the 7M that we sent off to DriftMotion. :thumbup:

Ahh, okay, because there is a CT27 (although I don't think that's an official number. Its what the upgrade gets dubbed.)

thebigbadbanana

May 19, 2009
Middle TN
Update time!

We've decided that before we do the bulk of the bodywork/paint, we're going to paint the engine bay and drop the motor in. There are a few more steps in finalizing the motor before it's ready to go back in, but we're definitely making progress.

On to the pictures...

Here is the motor more/less as it sits right now.

First, we cleaned up the oil pan in preparation to put it back on. If you look closely, you can see where Jordan had to modify it to accept the modified oiling system.

Speaking of modified oiling systems...

Annnnd buttoned up! This picture does no justice to how nice the pan looks. Jordan did a kick-ass job painting it...

Moving on the top, we put the cams back in and torqued them down to spec. We're still going to check the lash to make sure all the buckets/shims are where they're supposed to be, but we're fairly confident there shouldn't be any issues here.

We loosely put the timing covers on for shits & giggles. Optimus Prime, anybody? :biglaugh:

We then loosely piled on everything up top to get a mental picture of where everything needs to go. We also started routing the harness, but didn't get super far before we had to call it quits for the day.

Jordan did an awesome job on the harness, as well. Here's a picture of him putting on some finishing touches.

Sexy sheathing...

On to the body stuff. (So far anyway)

We ended up deleting the rear wiper. Jordan welded a plate on the other side of the hole, then we filled it up and grinded it down.

Close up... It's frowning because I suck at welding haha. There will be a thin layer of filler over the whole thing to even it out, so it's not a big deal.

Said grinding.

As far as rust goes, this is the worst of it. Also, note how thick the bondo is. :cry:
Fortunately, Jordan is awesome at rust remediation/bondo/body work, so the end result should still be awesome.

Now that we're making progress again, I'll try to update this thread more regularly!
Thanks for looking!

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
you really should mask off that glass, for grinding or welding....

I like to use tinfoil from time to time since paper burns so nicely..

because those hot metal chunks will melt into your glass forever....