1992 Black/Shadow Grey Turbo Targa - Build/Restoration thread

jordanksartell

Oct 5, 2012
Tennessee
fonz87;1959515 said:
i see an oil pan gasket. I highly recommend you do not use an oil pan gasket. Go get Toyota FIBG.

I used liquid gasket on each side. I've built over 20 engines using the cork gasket this way and have never had one fail. Should be more than fine. :)

jordanksartell

Oct 5, 2012
Tennessee
#04;1959538 said:
you really should mask off that glass, for grinding or welding....

I like to use tinfoil from time to time since paper burns so nicely..

because those hot metal chunks will melt into your glass forever....

If you notice the direction that I was grinding, no sparks were being thrown at the glass. All is fine. Glass is still smooth as a babies bottom. Promise. :drink1:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Nose chunks just had one of those braided an lines for the oil feed fail on him. Not the first either.

And ya the oil pan gasket is not supposed to have a cork gasket. Comes from the factory with only fipg.

suprasick

Hey look...a Supra!
Mar 17, 2006
Milton, Washington
jordanksartell;1959580 said:
If you notice the direction that I was grinding, no sparks were being thrown at the glass. All is fine. Glass is still smooth as a babies bottom. Promise. :drink1:

Nice build! But I couldn't help but think the same thing about the glass because unfortunately I wasn't so lucky and totally forgot to cover the glass which resulted in little tiny divots:: angry ::

jordanksartell

Oct 5, 2012
Tennessee
hvyman;1959582 said:
Nose chunks just had one of those braided an lines for the oil feed fail on him. Not the first either.

And ya the oil pan gasket is not supposed to have a cork gasket. Comes from the factory with only fipg.

Well that sucks for him. The AN line will be just fine if installed properly. I've never seen a properly installed AN fitting blow off and we used thousands of them on oiling systems aboard my Submarine. :bigthumb:

Cork Gaskets fail when improperly installed. There is no reason this setup will fail due to how it was installed and due to the fact that it was used in conjunction with RTV. If we had not used the RTV, I could see a possible issue. His oil pan originally had an RTV/cork combo on it and it had no leaks before either. :dunno:

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
hvyman;1959582 said:

I was curious and had to check that out for myself. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/nosechunks/IMG_1567.jpg

Damn is all I can say. I cant speak for the softline Ive never used one. However the fear of that happening with me as my luck isnt good makes me glad I went with ARZ's hardline. I do have a few friends running a SS braided line and I hope they hold up.

Nice build thought OP, surprised to see a 92 with a 6M crank

thebigbadbanana

May 19, 2009
Middle TN
^Yikes
That being said, I trust Jordan's judgement, so that's probably what we'll stick with.
I was surprised by the 6m crank too, haha. We were definitely not the first people to dig into this particular motor...

jordanksartell

Oct 5, 2012
Tennessee
Jetpower;1960560 said:
The block looks very clean!

Thanks! :thumbup:

It definitely wasn't when we started. I tanked so many of the parts because they were just covered in a thick layer of grime. It's definitely clean though now. That's for sure. :naughty: