1990 UZA70 - Yotarip is a one trick pony. LOTTTTSSS of pics.

Yotarip

Feb 20, 2015
Virginia
Hello,
I'm just about ready to start my build so I'll document it here. I'm a hardcore toyota fan and I have owned only Toyota/Lexus products since 1994 when I bought my first Supra. It was a red 1988 NA automatic with the a sportroof. It remained stock as long as I owned it I finally grew bored and sold it in 2009 to make room for this 1990 cressida.

I picked it up for $500 with the usual blown headgasket. I picked it up just as a big snow storm was approaching so I had it towed to a repair shop for repair. A week and $1000 later she was home and I just added wheels, lowering springs and just kept it clean.

Enjoyed her for 9-10 months and the headgasket blew a few days before Xmas. I wasnt surprised. I really expected the growing rod knock to kill it first. I shopped around for JDM 7m's. They were priced at around $1000. Why do go there when I could get a 1UZ for $300 and have 60 more hp and be more reliable. So I did my first every swap. 1UZ auto with auto.

I also bought a toyota pickup with a ratchet turbo 22r swap.

Cleaned it up.

I grew bored of the turbo 4. Again I wanted more power and reliability. The 1uz fit that bill again. This time I opted for the 5 speed conversion too.

I helped a good friend with his 1991 supra 1uz/w58 swap.

I saved another cressida from the crusher to use as a daily.

She spun a bearing 4 months later. Perfect candidate for a 1uz swap with a w58 from a sc300.

http://s221.photobucket.com/user/yo...62C9A3E137D5_zpsw9ksjkqm.jpg.html?sort=3&o=23

I decided that I didn't "need" two cressidas so I sold Goldilocks to my friend with the white 1uz supra and bought this 1990 na.

BHG but that's expected. Ofcourse this is getting a 1uz but with a twist.

The motor on the left is a 4.0 VVTi and the grimy motor on the right is a 4.3 VVTi. My original plans were to put the 4.0 in my blue cress, but I just aquired the 4.3. The cress is my baby so she gets the 4.3. This build thread will document the 4.0 swap into the supra.

Last edited:

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
Haha, I have a friend that jokes about putting 1uz's in everything. So far he's done a 70s celica, an sc300 and a pickup, if I recall correctly.
Nothing wrong with doing that swap a lot -- they're great engines and you get the most out of your previous experience.
It looks like good work and I'm sure it's a fun lot of vehicles to drive.

Yotarip

Feb 20, 2015
Virginia
Suprapowaz!(2);2042432 said:
Are you pulling these 1uz from the yard? Do you have to go through them, or do you just plop them in do or die style?
The engine in the blue cress is a craigslist find. It only had 80k on it. All the others were bought from my local junkyard. They charge less than $300 for the complete engine with harness and ecu. I buy an engine gasket kit off ebay and replace all gasket except the headgasket. They aren't prone to failure at all. Not even on high mileage motors. I might change the timing belt set depending on the condition. I dont care about mileage either. The engines in the white supra and my truck have 250+k miles and run like new. My VVTi motors each have around 150k.

miekedmr;2042426 said:
Nothing wrong with doing that swap a lot -- they're great engines and you get the most out of your previous experience.
It looks like good work and I'm sure it's a fun lot of vehicles to drive.

Thanks!

Last edited:

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Hey man!!! Remember when we swapped tails on the old ls400? That's me! Last time we chat was at pick a part where you were going at the harness for the 4.0 motor of that green LS. Glad to see you're doing well and kept up with the 1uz.

Yotarip

Feb 20, 2015
Virginia
Hey! I thougt your username looked familiar. Yeah that me. My old ls400 was the engine donor for that gold cressida. I'm glad a pulled that extra harness and throttle body from the vvti ls400 that day. Im gonna use it on my 3uz vvti along with a hacked 1uz vvti ecu. It allows me to eliminate the immobiliser and drive by wire.
Hope to see you at a meet in northern va one day.

Yotarip

Feb 20, 2015
Virginia
So... After a 2 month setback due to issues with the 1uz/w58 adapter plate I received, I finally got back to work on the supra. In the meantime I did find a nice 3 piece spoiler for sale on craigslist and took the 2 hour drive from Richmond VA to Raleigh NC to pick it up. I hated drilling holes into the quarters but I love the look of the spoiler.

Since the supra has been resprayed recently i found a duplicolor repro paint that's a perfect match. Even down to the micro multicolor flakes.

I chose a new vendor (xcessive manufacturing) for my w58 adapter plate and am very happy with the product and customer service. I bolted it all up to get things ready for the test fit.

The engine is from a GS400 and came with a front sump. Ofcourse that will not work in the supra but my 3uz from the LS430 has a rear/mid sump so I swapped the oilpan assembly over. A sc400 oilpan would work also but the bolt holes in the upper pan will have to be opened up from 6mm to 8mm. easy to do in little time.

I dropped the motor in and installed the trans mount in it's original location. With the engine sitting directly on the xmember the valave cover just clears the booster. Of course it did not clear it after I made the motor mounts.
I also had to massage the passenger side firewall to clear the head. The motor sets back nicely near the firewall. I built the passenger motor mount with the top and bottom steel mounting plates from the original (broken) 7m motor mounts and 2.5" heavy wall exhaust tubing. Works well. everything clears the hood.

A few more shots.

My jailbroken ecu also arrived from Russia.

A circuit is installed to bypass security. Can't wait to tests this out..

Billybob9187

Mar 9, 2015
Stockton Ca
This is amazing. I like the look without the Lexus engine dress cover. Otherwise keep it up and make sure you finish so you can put up some numbers.

Yotarip

Feb 20, 2015
Virginia
I agree. It looks so much meaner without the cover.

I will probably ditch it.
No question on finishing. If it wasn't for the problem with the adapter plate, I would have videos of it running by now.

Billybob9187

Mar 9, 2015
Stockton Ca
I did some research on the 1uz engine after reading this and I started to wonder if you ever ran into the TRD super charger kit for these engines and if you have experience with them.

Yotarip

Feb 20, 2015
Virginia
People have fit them on the vvti 1uz and 3uz motors with lots of money and good results. I would prefer supercharge the 1st gen motor with a m90 or m112 and intake adapter from Bulletcars.com. The intake is expensive but M90's and M112's can be found all day long for a good price. The first gen motors have the strongest rods of all generation 1uz's and the short blocks are a dime a dozen in the junkyards. VVTi motors cost 4 times the cost of a $200 1st gen 1uz around here.
I don't have ant experience boosting these motors but I'm going to help my friend turbo my ex gold cressida on the first page this fall. Gonna run 6-7 lbs with the stock ecu.