1981 KP61 Starlet 2JZGTE build

suicide kp61

OMFG Im a NOOB!!!
Dec 23, 2009
wv
crisp;1481759 said:
Great build! Looking forward to it...

...er... on a paternal side... won't you be playing with a thin line between FUN and FRACTURED with that kind of power in such a small package!!!???:aigo:

What's the distance you will see from yoke-to-yoke on your driveshaft?:biglaugh:

I'm thinking at 400whp this thing is already a borderline unmanageable drive!:1zhelp:

Will you be making it a "street driven" car, or more for the quarter and show? Regardless, can't wait to see a straight six motivating your classic KP like Godzilla mated to The Fly!:naughty:

subscribed!

-crisp

LOL I have a death wish I guess. I will be street driving this. I am going to hide the cage since I dont care about passing tech inspection and I will retain full interior and heat. I wanted AC but I have no where to put a condenser. After the radiator and intercooler are mounted there is just no more room. The interior will be updated of course. Prob do some black Brides in the front and have the back seats wrapped to match and redo all the panels in black. I will have a removable harness bar though.

I want to retain a pretty normal look. I would rather drive stock than a poorly swapped car. I want it all to be clean and reliable.I want to shut a stock hood and have a stock appearing interior. I would like for somebody to assume the motor came in the car had they not known better. I guess from an appearance standpoint I just want it to look like somebody put fender flairs, wide wheels, a fart can, and a set of seats in a Starlet.

Color combo choice as it stands now is going to be Mitsubishi Electric Blue as seen on evo 9s and then gold wheels.

Project has been named "blue hell hatch"

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
Dr Jones;1481844 said:
Who is the real Dr Jones?
He is a long time MKIII owner, who has contributed a lot of time to the MKIII community.
http://www.4cefed.com/
This is one of his sites from long ago, primarily about the "brown car", which was his first. He has since built and parted another awesome car. I believe he dubbed it the "black car".
Here is that thread: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74117

Very nice build btw, and i'm inclined to agree with others in calling that thing a potential coffin. :bigthumb:

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Very very nice project bro. Did you extend the rear quarter widening to include the gas door so that it looks stock (and a lot better)? Pics? Are you going to do a wiring tuck in the engine bay so that there's as little clutter as possible?

suicide kp61

OMFG Im a NOOB!!!
Dec 23, 2009
wv
Yes the gas door is getting suicided and extended to match rear flares. I have been working on some customer cars that I have to get done first. I hope to have time to work on it in the next few days. My projects dont pay the bills unfortunately and it takes loads of self control to work on somebody elses car in the same garage while your projects sit. I will have some new pics in a day or two.

suicide kp61

OMFG Im a NOOB!!!
Dec 23, 2009
wv
Ok so after 3 days getting kicked square in the nuts by a nightmare engine build.....Im finally getting to work on the starlet tonight. I will have some new pics tomorrow.

suicide kp61

OMFG Im a NOOB!!!
Dec 23, 2009
wv
Ok so it took me a bit longer than I thought to get some progress done on the car. Been doing a ton of body work and stopped for a few days to tackle the front brakes. I was able to fit 11.5 inch rotors off of something...who knows just went though the parts store till I found what I needed and 4 pot calipers from an FD Rx7. The 4 pots fit great with a simple caliper bracket made from 5/16ths steel which keep in mind is thicker than the stock bracket. Cant wait to see how this thing stops now!! Oh yeah I will be grinding the Mazda off of the calipers. Here are some pics!

p1492658_1.jpg

p1492658_2.jpg

p1492658_3.jpg

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Very nice bro. Don't forget to write down what the brake calipers and rotors come from so you can get replacement parts down the road without having to have a huge hassle. What suspension are you going with? I only ask because your current struts look like they've had it.

suicide kp61

OMFG Im a NOOB!!!
Dec 23, 2009
wv
Thanks! I found out the rotors are from a Toyota Camry but I kept the part number as well as had it put in my warranty history at AutoZone. Im going with aftermarket AE86 struts since they look to be the same. I am getting new lower arms with new ball joints (only 40 bucks!!!) so it should all be pretty tight in the front end. The rear is getting a Ford 8.8 narrowed rear end with a TCI 4 link so it should be pretty tight too. he car might actually handle ok since the engine is set back 4 inches its not all over the front wheels. I guess time will tell.

suicide kp61

OMFG Im a NOOB!!!
Dec 23, 2009
wv
Ground off the MAZDA on the calipers and painted them. Finished product looks like this.

p1493483_1.jpg

p1493483_2.jpg

If anybody is searching for Brake upgrades for a KP61 Starlet and comes across this thread I have actual size caliper bracket templates and part numbers for the rotors.

suicide kp61

OMFG Im a NOOB!!!
Dec 23, 2009
wv
Going to pick up my motor on Friday!!! Should have had it earlier but the JDM importer sent a 2j paired with a getrag 6sp to the local warehouse and needless to say they wanted like 5,000.00 for it so I told them to eat one and reordered the Aristo swap I originally wanted. Should have some interesting updates this weekend!

Sil

Evil Empire
Jan 13, 2008
Milwaukee/Chicago
Call me funny but I like the recess for the fuel door in the flares, has a raw race homologation car feel to it. Can't wait to see the finished product, looks like your making great progress.

suicide kp61

OMFG Im a NOOB!!!
Dec 23, 2009
wv
Got the motor in. What a bitch. I had to completely redo the firewall and almost remove it entirely. The crossmember was the only thing that actually didnt completely interfere, its almost perfectly shaped. Anyway here are some pics.

p1503179_1.jpg

p1503179_2.jpg

p1503179_3.jpg

p1503179_4.jpg

p1503179_5.jpg

p1503179_6.jpg

The big nuts under the motor mounts are just there to determine the thickness of urethane that will be required for the real mount.

suicide kp61

OMFG Im a NOOB!!!
Dec 23, 2009
wv
Hahaha I wish it was in there for good!! Once all the fab is done its getting blown apart and every piece will be scrubbed back to original finish or refinished. The oil pan will def be resprayed. Thanks for your interest. It feels good to know at least one person is following the thread!!!