15Qts of Oil in a 7M, Never a Good Idea "Pics"

N

NDBoost

GotToyota? said:
I think I might have too much oil in my car also, because whenever I pull out my dipstick, a little more than half is covered.

-Matt
uh yeah, do an oil change just in case 5qts tops.

stratoayu

May 13, 2005
surrey
jiffy lube and such r all idiots lol.. my gf had to show the guy how to bleed a clutch... he had it just cracked all the way open and told her to push down.. big mess.. but w/e.. i would never trust any body from a 10 min oil change... i went to school with 4 kids in them.. mind u i only trust my supra in my hands and other supra owners hands lol.

N

NDBoost

stratoayu said:
jiffy lube and such r all idiots lol.. my gf had to show the guy how to bleed a clutch... he had it just cracked all the way open and told her to push down.. big mess.. but w/e.. i would never trust any body from a 10 min oil change... i went to school with 4 kids in them.. mind u i only trust my supra in my hands and other supra owners hands lol.
agreed, there are very select few that are aloud to touch a wrench to any part of my car. Supra owners and my close friends that i know that work on cars otherwise no touchy :).

The only time i would take my supra to get some kind of mechanical work done is if its Body/paint OR anything steering/trans related.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
friend of mine's wife took her car to jiffy lube, they remembered to put the drain plug back, but forgot the oil. all they di was drain the oil, didnt even change the filter. engine blew on the interstate and they refused to pay for the motor saying it was her fault that she didnt put oil in it. needless to say they had to go to court to get reimbursed for a new engine. pretty stupid since she had a receipt for an oil change, not oil drain. i dont trust anyone with my car. plus, if its any kind of sports car they are gonna "test" it out if your not around and possibly fuck it up. guy i know took his c6 to a place to get the brake pads changed and while it was being done went to lunch with a friend close by since they said itd be about 90min. when he got back his car was being dropped off a flatbed tow truck. the asshole that changed the pads thought itd be fun to go dog he shit out of the car. well, apparently he was on it pretty hard and downshifted to 2nd instead of 4th when slowing down and overreved the fuck out of it and threw some rods. guy thought it was normal to have to pull that hard to get it to go into 2nd gear. fucking idiot. it should never be that hard for any manual trans o go into gear. needless he got canned and the company had to replace the engine. dont trust ANYONE with your car. if its not theres they dont give a shit about it!

PIONEER

Wallet Wide Open
Mar 30, 2005
Raleigh, Nc
My bodyshop guy has a set rule. If a car is in the shop, only he can drive it. If for some reason he is not in, the employees can only push it around.

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
PIONEER said:
My bodyshop guy has a set rule. If a car is in the shop, only he can drive it. If for some reason he is not in, the employees can only push it around.
best damn rule ever.

Last edited:

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Wow this is back from the dead.

One little update about this, after reading it again, I realize that the problem is not too much oil, but too much coolant in the oil. (That's your extra volume in the pan.) The "chocolate milk" that was in the pan is as you know, mixed up coolant and oil. A very poor choice of lubicants, and it causes severe rust and other problems as you also could see if the pics still worked on this year old post.

One more thing. I've run 12 quarts of oil in my engine with no hydrolock problems. It would however blow oil out the dipstick tube where the pressed in pipe and the upper dipstick holder join. It also pushed some serious oil vapor out the PCV system.
I've since changed over to 10 quarts with NO problems. I do have a few things most don't however, but I saw a post here about 5 quarts and no more, and that's nuts. You run 5 quarts in your Supra and your asking for bearing wear and rod knock. Especially if your running a larger filter, or drive your car hard. (The oil sloshes around, and eventually your oil pickup is uncoverd and you get no oil pressure. This happens at high rpm, under extreme braking, cornering and accleration, and you don't notice it because it happens very quickly. But you get bearing wear all the same.)

The pan on the 7M is very deep, and you can put quite a bit of oil in there before it's going to come into contact with the crankshaft. I belive it's 9 or 10 quarts of oil. Also when your engine is running, a good quart of oil is up in the head and other places in the engine, so the pan only has what's drained off from those places. (Some say the head traps oil up there, but I call BS on that. The head has huge drain holes, the largest of them is right next to the oil cap, and dumps the oil right back into the pan via the old distributor bore location. This hose is capable of flowing lots of oil, so the idea that the 7M head is loaded up with oil past the valve covers is not true.)

My dipstick is "full" when the oil level is at the point where the wire meets the short metal reading surface. (Keep in mind I have a 3 quart accusump, remote oil filter, RX7 oil cooler and 21' of AN10 line feeding everything.) I figure there is somewhere between 6 and 7 quarts of oil in my engine, and the rest in the other systems. I always ran 6 quarts with an oil change, and I also used to run the longer/larger filters. Part # 3600 IIRC.