15Qts of Oil in a 7M, Never a Good Idea "Pics"

PIONEER

Wallet Wide Open
Mar 30, 2005
Raleigh, Nc
Bill:- check your Pm in about 5 mins

Chevyeater:- I don't know about the coolent, there were no leaks in the car and the radiator was still somewhat full.

Jeff:- I don't think this guy is ready to shell out the $z for the 1J. I need to talk to you about the 88GTE you got. Hit me up on MSN, I need to know the compression #z from that engine to figure if its worthy of a drop in without a rebuild.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
dude i'm going to cry just looking at that block, omg that looked so ungodly terrifying.

if it was jiffy lube, which could be possible considering they dont give a shit, that employeed is pretty much fired, maybe he was like my friend with the 240sx that didnt know about the dipstick and thought you just fill the oil to the brim, the guy probably drained it. and just got lost looking at something shiney while the oil gun just kept on going.

and slap your customer for even going to jiffy lube. he needs to do his own maintenance. they tryed to tell my mom it was going to be a couple hundred from a mechanic for a stripped tranny drain bolt, she came home i took it off and it was perfect and they didnt even put the dipstick back in they left it sitting on the radiator.

supra90mkiii

Apr 2, 2005
Racine, WI
idk about jiffy lube, but at my work, we order oil from parts, with a phone. then we have a gun that you pump the oil into the engine with, it stops by itself. it's possible that the guy could've misunderstood the mechanic and put it 15, when he wanted 5... the parts guy might've thought he was working on a big diesel... but then again, he should've checked the dipstick......

PIONEER

Wallet Wide Open
Mar 30, 2005
Raleigh, Nc
12 years ago I worked at Jiffy Lube part time as I went to school. The first store I worked in, all the guys there were a little older and knew what they were doing under the hood. Then I moved to another city and started working at another Jiffy lube. This new place had a lot of young kids and young managers. Put it this way......

Next time you take your car to jiffy lube to have synthetic oil put in it for $46, Make sure the bottles they are using are actually sealed and not empty bottles filled with regular oil. Over filling an engine with oil and leaving oil filters loose or putting wrong oil filters was all in a days work.

I am fortunate to have a good job and Building 7Mz is a hobby of mine. If you can unhook a women's bra, You can change your oil.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
I'm not sure even 15 quarts of oil would cause that level of damage. (The blown HG?)

Sure there is going to be some serious crank case pressure at times, but it would vent up out the cam covers, and into the intake. (Any signs of serious oil deposits in the intake? I can see quite a bit in the one intake photo, was it that wet throughout the intake?)

Looks like he blew the HG by overheating the car, then just added oil a few times in a vain attempt to stop it from steaming.... (People do really strange stuff.)

Any oil change place should at least check the dipstick before releasing the car, but like you mentioned, if the entire staff was new, or don't care, or know what they are doing, you can end up with some serious mistakes.

If he thinks the lube place screwed up, and you still have the oil and filter, the owner might be able to get the Lube place to pay for the rebuild. (Or at least offer him some money to resolve this problem.) It will not be the first engine replaced by a oil change shop. They screw up quite a bit. (I see a few insurance claims a year, or get referred to help out on them when claims of "sugar" in my oil, or water in the oil by unknown persons causing some vandalism to my car... (Covered under comprehensive that way.)

My only question is why did this guy let his car sit for so long after it stopped running? That is not what someone who had a faulty oil change would generally do. (The car ends up back at the shop, or towed in inside of a day, or week at the most.)

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
This doesn't suprize me one bit.

My buddy in high school took his jeep to a quick lube one time (name to not be mentioned) and the uneducated rejects that worked there put oil in it, oh yes they did....

But they forgot the drain plug.

Oil out, oil in, out out.

5 blocks from the joint and it went kaboom.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
But I am still very BAFFLED as of how they coolant got into the oil system of the motor if there was no BHG to begin with?

did the amount of oil ( pressure from an immense amout of oil) cause the head to litterally bust open the HG and cause coolant to leak into the oiling system?

that is the only hypothesis I can gather....

-Jonathan

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
lol, sounds like my cusin, she had a 95 monte carlo, well it needed an oil change, she didnt do that, so it starts to blow smoke, well she figured it would help to add some oil, 12 quarts + what ever was in the car to begin with went into it. lasted like 3 days. she brings it to my uncle whos a mechanic. he couldnt stop laughing, she tells him she picked up a case of oil and added 4 quarts the first day, and 2 after that.
so i can see this guy blaming it on jiff lube,but
all these quick stop repair shops, do hire people that dont have a lick of car knowledge, they pretty much can walk in say they know how to change oil and bam they are up for getting hired.

89mkiiit

Aug 1, 2005
Ali,
Wats up big man. I know this must be tough for you to see. After having numerous rebuilds done by you I know that you take pride in your work. So I bet seeing this sucks. With that in mind. Just let him know that 15 qts of oil is ideal....the more the marrier....He just need to go ahead and drain the coolant next time and run it with 15 qts of oil and no coolant. It would run SOO much better that way.

It shows this is my first post I guess the system boots you out if you are inactive for a certain amount of time...No problem just didnt want to get the N00B treatment...:)

sorcereur

MKIII Revolution Inc.
Mar 31, 2005
NC
This is the first car that MKIII Revolution has seen come back with an engine failure after we rebuilt it and it sux.
Maybe this time since he's local, we'll offer him a scheduled maintenance plan so we don't see this happen again.

Last edited:
I

itr206

Holy shit. Ive seen it all now
Just to add about not doing your oil yourself

When I was much younger I took my Eclipse in to get the oil changed at some place like Jiffy lube.
They drained the oil and were under there for a while and said done.
I took it home and sounded like shit and ran funny. I check the oil and guess what? lol. No fucking oil.
The motor still lived very well. but I sold it shortly after jsut in case.
My ex told me today that Munroe fucked her motor up in her Talon. She is sueing them for a new motor right now.

I trust no one working on my cars now but me. lol

Thats just crazy though.

PIONEER

Wallet Wide Open
Mar 30, 2005
Raleigh, Nc
The HG on this engine was bust in 2 spots. but not at the water jackets. it was broken in the combustion area where the thin wall of the bores meet. right in the middle b/w 2 pistons. b/w 3-4 and 5-6 I think you can tell by looking at some of the pictures.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
This story is one of many that come out of 10 minute oil change places. I hear it happening quite frequently.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Bah... resurected and the pics aren't even there any more, that was the funniest part of this thread! Oh well, what can ya do.