Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
if it were my car, i would scrap the motor and get a new/used one. the obvious problems (finger tight head studs, etc) are probably not the only problems....

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Outside looks real clean from what I can see. Engine looks like a mess though.

Make sure you get the head hardness tested to make sure it's not completely cooked. That fan doesn't make it look very promising. If the alluminium has started annealing, you've gotta look at a new head.

Inspect the head gasket very thoroughly, make sure there are no flaws at all before even considering reusing it. It is an expensive gasket, there are people who have reused them. Here's a thread to look through on that topic...

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27519&highlight=reuse+head

If you do want peace of mind, buying a new gasket is always an option, but it comes at a price.

Best to replace all your bearings on the bottom end too...that's a pretty bad milkshake you got going on there.

kulangflow

Celica All-trac Turbo
Mar 30, 2005
UT
Can't wait to see the paint polished. You've done some amazing paint restoration in the past.

I seriously need to get a custom fan like that for my All-trac. I bet that'd be worth a good 30hp. lol

I would definitely get that head professionally cleaned and straightened. Do you have a good machine shop near you?

Good luck. Keep us updated.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
that car looks damn familar... eh. nice grab none the less. got some work ahead of you but it should clean up nice.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
You'll probably want to clean, replace, or rebuild anything that had oil in it. Especially the oil pump, as that it'll be stuffed full of milkshake. That stuff will ruin your shiny new bearings in a hurry.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
It needs to be cleaned and checked regardless. Pull engine, clean and inspect to see what the damage really is, until that's done it's all speculation.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
the walrus;1424313 said:
A thought came to mind, I do have access to an 87 Turbo parts car that was parked recently due to rod bearing failure but did not have BHG. I could just scrap this head and use the one off the 87 if it's clean. Anyone know if the 87 head is the same as an 89 head?

Yeah, you can use it.

Complete rebuild is my advice. The car looks good though.

I sure hope the guy who sold you this isn't a member here since his intentions were to screw you. If he is a member I'd out him so no one will ever buy anything from him again.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
even if you pull the head of the 87 theres no way to tell if its annealed or not unless you get a hardness test on it. take the block and head to a machine shop and go from there.

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
You asked what your next move should be and many of us will advice you to pull the engine. If you dont know how to mic then have a machine shop that has knowledge of 7M s do it for you. You might just need to fresh up the block with new rings and bearings. The head might just need some new valve stems and decking. So with that being said GO PULL THE ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION HURRY LOL. Just kidding on the hurring part, take your time and learn as much as you can from what you being reading. Check out the section called ENGINE INTERNALS/MECHANICAL. GO PULL THAT ENGINE AND DO IT RIGHT THE 1ST TIME......Good luck and if you need anything we are here to help......:beer:

Last edited:

the walrus

Oct 5, 2009
Also....will the milkshake have had any ill affects on the turbo since the oil circulates though it?

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
Pulling the engine or engine + transmission is a personal prefference. I pull both together and put them back in together. I think its easier and when the engine is out you can wire up everything and itll be easier. Dont forget to put new valve stems. Keep up the good work....keep us posted with pics