100mph, Brake, Car Dives to Left

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
I brought my car up to about 100mph on the highway the other day. I got on the brakes to come back down to 65 fairly quick and when I stepped on the brake, the car really pulled to the left - to the point that I was shaking after.

The car has all new pads and rotors all around, and the calipers slid fine when I took them apart. They were all greased well when re-assembled.

Car has Illumina II's and RS*R Race springs - which I have come to really enjoy.

I question whether this diving is coming from a bad sway bar bushing. My fathers car did this at lower speeds and it was a rear sway bar bushing that was allowing one wheel to travel a bit higher than another and taking the suspension off square.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Any ideas of what else it could be or is there anyone confident that they had this problem and know the solution?

Thanks guys,

Mark

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
I would think air in the system would have risen to top by now, but def a good idea. I'll try today.

Another note - it does NOT do it at 40, 50, 60, 70, or even 80. It's only stops from 100 that will make it pull.

Thanks, Hommer - i'll start with bleeding today if I can grab a friend to help "ok, pump. pump. hold it"

no homo.

Edit: I think Hommer turned some gears in my head. I get a spongy pedal at times on the first compression, then it's real solid.

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
87witmoreboost;1081046 said:
I would think air in the system would have risen to top by now, but def a good idea. I'll try today.

Another note - it does NOT do it at 40, 50, 60, 70, or even 80. It's only stops from 100 that will make it pull.

Thanks, Hommer - i'll start with bleeding today if I can grab a friend to help "ok, pump. pump. hold it"

no homo.

Edit: I think Hommer turned some gears in my head. I get a spongy pedal at times on the first compression, then it's real solid.

what happens is the fluid breaks down the rubber in the hoses... and will clog up...

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
figgie;1081141 said:
make sure that your right side brakes are working to. I have seen these calipers freeze up.

i would recomend taking apart the sliding mechanism, making sure it slides freely, and then regreasing it and putting it back together. Please let us know what you find.

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Ckanderson;1081182 said:
i would recomend taking apart the sliding mechanism, making sure it slides freely, and then regreasing it and putting it back together. Please let us know what you find.

Already done, my friend.

Did rotors and pads 2 months ago and they slid well coming off. I greased the tits outta them and I have doubts that it still slides like a dream.

Air in the system is becoming more and more like a reality - the symptoms exist.

Thanks, guys.

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
TuRbOdReAmZ87;1081216 said:
What part of NH do you live in?

Pelham. 1/4 mile from Methuen, MA. Work in Hampton, NH, so I drive to work everyday on 495-->95

Edit: I'm the one that almost bought your blue supra form the original owner (who I've been talking to recently).

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I would recommend not slamming on brakes too often from 100mph! I'm not one of those who will tell you that you should always drive your Supra at or below the speed limit 100% of the time. But, when you do exceed the limit, do so when it is safe, and give yourself plenty of room to slow down safely. If you are in traffic, use your headm and don't let this be a time you drive that way.

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
ForcedTorque;1081227 said:
I would recommend not slamming on brakes too often from 100mph! I'm not one of those who will tell you that you should always drive your Supra at or below the speed limit 100% of the time. But, when you do exceed the limit, do so when it is safe, and give yourself plenty of room to slow down safely. If you are in traffic, use your headm and don't let this be a time you drive that way.

Hah - thanks, Mom.

It did it three times. All were on a one-mile open stretch on the highway without a car in 1/4 mile of me, front or rear.

I don't drive fast when it's not safe. I also didn't SLAM on the brakes. I got on them enough to slow down quick, but I was careful. I was in the middle lane the next two times to give myself a lane of error.

I may be stupid, but i'm not stupid.

TuRbOdReAmZ87

Supramania Regular
Feb 2, 2007
Southern mass
www.cardomain.com
87witmoreboost;1081223 said:
Pelham. 1/4 mile from Methuen, MA. Work in Hampton, NH, so I drive to work everyday on 495-->95

Edit: I'm the one that almost bought your blue supra form the original owner (who I've been talking to recently).

Where in Hampton do you work? I've been going there recently a few times.

Yeah i think i remember you posting in my thread (Do I have the worst luck).

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
87witmoreboost;1081234 said:
I may be stupid, but i'm not stupid.

lol

Dare I ask...when you say Greased up everything you didnt happen to get any one the rotor or pads did you? I only ask because it wasnt that long ago a guy on here was told to use grease to reduce brake squeal...only he put it on the pad surface not the backside :nono:

Its been done and thats why I ask. Even if not intentional you may have gotten some on the rotor just while handling it in the installation. Just check to make sure your friction surfaces are clean and dry.

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
theWeezL;1081288 said:
lol

Dare I ask...when you say Greased up everything you didnt happen to get any one the rotor or pads did you? I only ask because it wasnt that long ago a guy on here was told to use grease to reduce brake squeal...only he put it on the pad surface not the backside :nono:

Its been done and thats why I ask. Even if not intentional you may have gotten some on the rotor just while handling it in the installation. Just check to make sure your friction surfaces are clean and dry.

nah, guy. None on the rotors (kinda lol). It would burn off quick from 100 anyway :naughty:

and turbodreams, I work on Route 1 near Route 101.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
wouldn't burn off...

Do you have ABS?

Tires all the same, tire pressure?

Alignment?

At those speeds brakes are all but useless, engine braking works better...

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
87witmoreboost;1081368 said:
nah, guy. None on the rotors (kinda lol). It would burn off quick from 100 anyway :naughty:

and turbodreams, I work on Route 1 near Route 101.

umm actually know it would not. It would glaze the brake pads pretty bad making them all but useless at that corner.

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Poodles;1081380 said:
wouldn't burn off...

Do you have ABS?

Tires all the same, tire pressure?

Alignment?

At those speeds brakes are all but useless, engine braking works better...

ABS, yes.

Front left tire was lower than others.

Fresh alignment.

There is definitely air in the line too - bleeding tomorrow.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
ABS should try and correct it, in that case it sounds like air...

The tire pressure can also cause that BIG TIME though, if you're going to do highspeed runs, ALWAYS check your tire pressure!

87witmoreboost

Officially HKS'd
Aug 27, 2007
New Hampshire
IJ.;1081715 said:
What grease was used on the sliders?

General wheel bearing grease.

I really, REALLY, don't think the sliders are an issue.

Tonight, I found the front left tire to be 5psi below the others - a very curious discovery. I didn't have a buddy to pump the brakes up so I could bleed them, but that will get done tomorrow.

I really think it'll take care of it at this point. Only problem is that i'll have to get up to speed again to try it out and i'm not a huge fan of speeding tickets.

I want to track the car at a Advanced Driving course at my local track on Oct. 4th, so I need to be sure I don't kill myself and the instructor when I come hot into a bend at 100mph and 80% brakes.