15Qts of Oil in a 7M, Never a Good Idea "Pics"

PIONEER

Wallet Wide Open
Mar 30, 2005
Raleigh, Nc
Dear supra members, Some of you know I'm involved in rebuilding quiet a few 7Mz for supra/cressida owners. Up to now, I have yet to have one of my engines fail. After about 60 or so 7M rebuilds, today I have a customer bring a car back to me.

So here's the story, this is a 92 Cressida I fully rebuilt about a year ago. Top to bottom, with new pistons, rings, full head work, full block work, new gasket set. It was a humming machine, flawless in rythm. about 2 months ago the owner called me and said the car had been smoking a little after about 10K miles, and he said the performance on the car was really really poor. I told him bring it by, let me look at it. Well I didn't hear back from him for a while and then one day he just called me and said the car's been dead for few weeks now and if He could tow it to my place. I said yeah bring it. So the car arrives at my place on a flatbed.

The battery was totally dead. First thing first, I check the oil in the engine. The dipstick was Almost filled 1/2 way :icon_surp . I'm like how much oil did you put in this thing? He said, I didn't put any oil in, Jiffy Lube changes my oil. I'm like dude there's way too much oil in this thing, and the oil was milky so we had water mixing into the oil.

So Infront of him, I drain 2 5qt buckets of milkshake from this guys oilpan, and the dip stick was still just a little more then full. I'm like dude we have a serious problem here. after that I tried cranking the car and the engine just sounded wierd. sounded like a 7M with a almost dead battery, yet the battery was brand new. I turned it by hand/socket wrench and I can hear the internals squeeking. So today we pulled this engine out, and man o man what a mess it is. Now bare in mind, this engine has 10K or so miles on it since the rebuild.

When water is coming out of your exhaust, and your intake runners, its never a good idea, so too much oil, HG goes, water/oil start to mix, pistons swole up, rust started jamming a bunch of parts.

DSC00132.JPG

DSC00134.JPG

DSC00136.JPG

soup

fiend
Apr 4, 2005
Vancouver
Mmmm milkshake, grab a straw!!!!!

I call BS. Yes the folks at Jiffy Lubes aren't world renowned mechanics, but I can't see them doing 2 oil changes without draining the old oil. I bet you this guy just doesn't want to seem like a total idiot. Nobody fesses up these days.

VanSupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Van,B.C.
soup said:
Mmmm milkshake, grab a straw!!!!!

I call BS. Yes the folks at Jiffy Lubes aren't world renowned mechanics, but I can't see them doing 2 oil changes without draining the old oil. I bet you this guy just doesn't want to seem like a total idiot. Nobody fesses up these days.

Yup No more soup for him!! Send him back the Q school with a frickin bicycle..lol..

:nono:

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Pretty impressive...

On that Jiffy lube note; there is no way that even they screwed it up that much. Like someone else said it would have needed 2 additional oil changes to get that much in there and neither time it was drained? I don't think so.

mdr40z

Mar 31, 2005
arkansas
soup said:

I agree, plus it's easy to see he let it sit for a while after he blew the crap out of it

PIONEER

Wallet Wide Open
Mar 30, 2005
Raleigh, Nc
The Oil pan is from a front sump 7M-GE Used in Cressidas.

I don't know what really took place with this car after it left my hands but I know 2 things.

1) I myself drained 10 Qts of oil infront of him in my garage
2) Looking at how the internals look, its been sitting for a while with a lot of water in it.

Good thing is, the bearings are still good :p . no Rod knock. That stuff you see on the oil pickup is from the headgasket.

I think the repair action at this point is probubly 20 over slugs and rings, might need sleeves, deck block again, Pressure test head, shave head again, slap a MHG on it and on we go.

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
omg that's stupid. Not even jiffy lube could screw up that bad, they do oil changes everyday. There is NO WAY they did that. 15qts....what the...that sux

Pioneer: what do you charge for an engine rebuild with forged internals and set up with a mhg? I have a spare engine I want to rebuild/have rebuilt to handle some decent hp. Just wondering. PM me with info.

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
I knew a girl that had an old Jeep as her first car. It would burn a quart a week and she had gotten used to topping it off. Finally, she broke down and got a new Jeep. Guess what? She kept right on adding a quart a week to the new Jeep, thinking it was normal maintenance. After a few months, the new Jeep refused to start. It was towed to the dealer only to find it was hydrolocked on oil.

Same mentality at work here or, was the car low on coolant?