Votes: 25 47.2%
  • No.

Votes: 28 52.8%

• Total voters

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Hey guys, I've been debating back and forth for a while now on wether or not to remove my AC system. According to the weight chart SammyDaFish made its near 50lbs off of the front of the car. With the entire system removed. Now, last time I checked my AC didn't work, could have been caused by an unplugged sensor... but I'm not sure.

I wanted some more opinions on the matter, I don't plan to use it much if ever as it is a paracitic gas guzzling accessory and with gas prices like they are its hard to justify using it as apposed to my targa off. I live in NJ, so it does get pretty toasty in the summer sometimes (90s) with humidity, but only for a short while, and personally I love the warm weather.

So what do you guys think? Remove it, or no? Those who have I'd like your input on what you think about your decision.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Parasitic loss is equal to the drag from driving with the windows open so here in Australia it makes no sense not having AirCon.
<edit> after reading Dan's post I'm old as well and love the creature comforts!

LOL @ "3 points"

Last edited:

rpk2012

F' LHD
Apr 4, 2005
Lubbock, Tx
I am taking the comp. off my car for the time being due to the fact it does not work. I MIGHT put it back on in time for Vegas though. One vote for the Targa off and AC gone.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Only time I ever use the AC is when the wife wants it. I've had the car for 5 years - used AC MAYBE 5 times.. and I live in Florida. Lotsa wussies who can't hack it here, I swear..
:D

Jetfixr757

Sleeper
Mar 30, 2005
Cocoa, Florida
Well, i evacuated my system the other day and charged it with 134 and i'll be darned the bloody thing works. To my surprise. Dan i have to agree with you on the Keep the a/c issue.
William 89T
p.s. i am an old fart too.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Alright, thats why I asked... I need to see if I can get it fixed then.

And the ricers around here have built up such a lead... 3 pts wouldn't do anything for me. :p

Blue87T(Dan)

Mar 30, 2005
St. Clair Shores, MI
drunk_medic said:
Only time I ever use the AC is when the wife wants it. I've had the car for 5 years - used AC MAYBE 5 times.. and I live in Florida. Lotsa wussies who can't hack it here, I swear..
:D
Its not so much about "hacking it" as it is about comfort. Our cars came with an automatic climate control system for a reason.

If you're down with driving in 90 degree weather with the windows down, more power to you.

I will add another performance part to make up for the lost HP, before ever considering removing my AC.

Not looking to flame or piss anyone off, but I believe the reason most people remove AC on our cars is due to the fact that it doesn't work and they don't want to pay to get it fixed.

Exemption to the above if you're building a race car and going for maximum weight reduction

Who wouldn't want to push a button when it is over 90 and have cold air available?

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
I too have thought about removing mine since it doesn't work. But I'm missing the box thingy that mounts on the passenger side firewall. I didn't even know that something was supposed to go there til I saw another local supra owners, I was like" whats that thing?" haha. So I might look into getting that part and seeing if it works, the guy before me was a central heating and AC guy and said he did all kinds of tests on it and said the compressor was good. So it might be worth it to find out whats exactly wrong with it. I think its a matter of personal preference. There are plenty of supras out there WITH ac that will beat supras without ac. Removing ac for weight savings isn't that big of a deal.

Chris-Supra

Apr 1, 2005
Minneapolis/Lakeville, Minnesota
Had mine removed, because I never ever used it. Either had the targa off when I had my 89t targa or have my windows down in my current 87t hardtop. But I'm young and like the open air feeling . Less weight in the front. Less clutter in the engine bay, will someday make doing a FFI a little tiny bit easier as well.

Chris

J

JerzeySlowpra

i took mine out, i dont use AC in any of my cars except sometimes in my lexus. the supra's usually not my daily driver though, usually the ranger or the ls400

7MGTEJoe

Mar 31, 2005
Salinas, CA
AC isn't that big of performance impediment. It's a touring car for Christ's sake; it's supposed to be comfortable. The only justification I can think of for deleting it is if you live in an arctic climate or are building a race car.

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
Yeah, unless you're an old man and you happen to be going through a mid-life crisis, don't remove it (I couldn't resist :D).

Worried about parasitic loss? Cut the belt, buy a new one when you want to use it again.

Or, you could buy an n/a mkiii, keep the a/c, and use it as a daily driver while you do what you want to the turbo.

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
Many people are saying don't lose a creature comfort in favor of weight reduction. The ricer comment was interesting. Anyway, people pull their stock front seats in favor of putting in lighter racing seats. You lose comfort, but drop some weight. In my book they are similar, but I doubt that you pulling the stock seats would cause the same reaction. I personally would like to yank my AC and make way for a better tranny cooler for my car (my fiancee is looking to get a Supra, we'll just take her car if we want AC). I say drop the AC if you can live without it.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
It's interseting to see all the "weight savings" type justifications for removing the AirCon!

The Mk3 is NEVER going to be a lightweight no matter how much you strip ;)

Gotta wonder how many of the drivers could lose a pound or 10.

Buy a Mk2 and swap your running gear in if weight is such an issue!