wiring up more speakers

rs4buddy

Apr 8, 2006
EArth
hey i was wondering, i see a lot of supra owners that have speakers in the rear arm rest area. wondering how do i wire up more speakers to make them work.

thanks
jason

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
You need to split the rear speaker wires so that there are two more connectors for each side. But just to let you know, if you do it that way, your new speakers as well as your old rear speakers will only have half the power. It's best to get a new pair, and add an amp while you're at it.

-Matt

rs4buddy

Apr 8, 2006
EArth
i see.. well i have a amp, but my none of my speakers are wired up to it. the sub is only wired to it, if i wire up my new speakers to the amp will i get power? or is there more to it?

killarb634

Apr 1, 2005
Jersey's here
rs4buddy said:
i see.. well i have a amp, but my none of my speakers are wired up to it. the sub is only wired to it, if i wire up my new speakers to the amp will i get power? or is there more to it?

Simply yes but there is more to it.

The amp you have is it one channel or mulitple channels bridged to your sub?
If its multiple channels you can just split one channel to the speakers and one channel to the sub, However you will lose the power you gained by bridging it.

rs4buddy

Apr 8, 2006
EArth
oooo cool, so if i have a multiple channels then i wont be loseing power, but if i have a one channel amp then i will be spliting up the oms right??

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
You're starting to get it ;)

oHms, are a measure of resistance. Most subs are either 4o or dual 4o voice coils, meaning they have either 4o (for a single 4o voice coil) or 2/8o (dual 4o voice coil) of resistance. NOW, amps are made to put out a x amount of power at xohms. For the example lets say 400w(rms) @ 4ohms.

So you have:
amp--400w(rms) @ 4o
sub (lets say 4o)
Speakers*6@4o each.

there's 2 ways to wire multiple voice coils--series and parallel, one will drop your resistance in half, one will double it.

6speakers*4o=24o OR 2/3o This makes wiring it up to a 4ohm amp impossible.
Your best bet is to add a 4 channel AND a 2 channel amp to get 6 speaker sound.

Now I'm going to tell you that 6 speakers will sound like dog shit rattling around in a coffee can (the aluminum style can)

Spend all that money that you would've spent on a 4 channel and a 2 channel and 6 speakers, and put it into 2 GOOD components for the front and a 2 channel A/B class amp to power them. Stereo imaging, when done correctly, uses 2 front speakers positioned correctly to create a proper soundstage. If you want me to babble on more just let me know :D

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
Sorry, it's been a while. NO, don't do 6 speakers. The factory head unit is basically crossed over to do that. With an aftermarket deck, only having 4 speaker outputs, the 2 in the top of the hatch area will play bass only, nothing else. Ditch those, hell ditch the rears all together. I've ONLY got a set of 5 1/4" components and a 10" sub in my car right now and it sound 100x better than the stock crap ever did; for the record, no, I'm not just talking about the amount of bass, but the overall clarity of everything.

Alpine CDA-9830 (deck)
Eclipse sp5000 components (speakers, front only)
JL 10w0-8 (sub)
Rockford 150wrms @ 8ohms (amp for the sub)